Spider III 150 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Line 6: Spider III 150

Purchased from: Some shop.

I'm using a PGM401, Yamaha and various other guitars. I play everything from metal to Indie. This is where the amp is flawed. Cleans are either muddy or tinny. With the midrange turned up you cannot get a chord to ring true. It sounds cluttered and horrible. The distortion is even worse. Try and strum a full chord with any sort of distortion on and you just get a mush of treble, it's near-on impossible to distinguish any of the separate notes. The distortion is 'brutal' if brutal just means noisy. There's no crunch to it. The most disappointing thing about this amp - when you play you can hear that constant droning hiss on top of the notes. Terrible sound for the money - MG sounds better (which I also have haha.)

I play any kind of music, and this doesn't suit any of it for one reason - the tone is rubbish. I've been playing 5 years+ and own a really high-end guitar in the PGM 401, and even that struggles to sound good on this amp. I wish I'd have saved up more money and bought a better amp. If this got stolen I would claim on my insurance but pretend it was a Mesa Lonestar. I love nothing about it really as it's unreliable and noisy. My favourite feature is the ok-ish reverb. I chose this product because I got mugged off by the salesperson. Don't let this happen - avoid this amp at all costs. I rate it at 2, because to me overall impression means 'what do you now think of Line 6' and the answer is that I'd never buy another Line 6 product.

I can depend on it for practicing, but that is all. The tone is so bad that I've never use it at a gig, and I'd never do any recording with it. My amp constantly wipes the eq and amp model settings so I have to try and re-program it every few days, which is hard - because the amp's tone is so poor it's hard to dial it back in to where it sounds good, so make sure you write down your settings. The input jack is also faulty, deciding to work when it wants, and the distortion can often break up - even though I was really careful to 'run in' the speakers.

I don't know what year or whatever the amp was made. Technically, it should be versatile for the sounds you want to create, but for the more tone-conscious player you'll notice that the tone of each style of music that you can 'dial' into via 6 tone settings, is really weak. It's powerful and very loud however, and you have the ability to plug various things into it to make it even more multi-functional.