Spider III 30 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 30

Purchased from: Music Stop

Ibanez GSZ120 with standard Ibanez humbuckers. Perfectly suited music style especially with that "Insane" setting. I play lots of (hard) rock, and (heavy) metal. I never experiends any noise really, only when I first turn it on and then it buzzes for a second but then I play and it stops, it only happens occasionally, I play it in my room, a ground level, probably 15 x 20 foot room. Clean channel does not seem to go distorted at a high volume, I don't want to crank it in my room cause I am risking breaking a window or something because of the volume. Absolutley brutal distortion! This distortion does not suck at all. I love it. It can kill you, that is how powerful it is!

As earlier mentioned, I play a lot of (hard) rock and (heavy) metal, and this is a perfect match. As mentioned in my Ibanez GSZ120 review, 1 year and 10 months, Perviously owned a BC Rich Warlock (which sucked), a Peavey Milestone III bass (was great, but I sold it for the amp), an ION started guitar, and a Fender Gemini II 1987 acoustic guitar. I wish I had asked how to shut off the delay from the Clean channel, but that is not really a porbalem, I can just tap it to make the delay more like a slapback 100 ms delay, so it is no big deal. I would definatley buy this again, but maybe with a higher wattage, but that is it. I love everything about it, except for the fact that I don't know how to shut of the Clean channels delay. I love the distortion mostly, and the built in effects, it saves me some money (I don't have to go out and buy more stomp boxes). Compared to my Kustom 100 Watt, this is actually way louder. And it has distortion, I had to buy a pedal just to get some distortion with the Kustom, plus, that one is a bass amp, but guitar sounds pretty good with it too. I only wish it had a higher wattage like maybe the 175 model. But I don't care. I love the amp, it is amazing. I am happy with it and most importantly, it is very loud.

A very, very dependable amp. I would for sure gig it with no other amps, Line 6 is a very awesome company anyways, so I know I can depend on them for my amps. The amp has never broken down for me, plus, I have only owned it since like last Wednesday, but I have used it a lot. But I think this might be a hard amp to break down.

I have a feeling, going by reading the instruction manual, that this amp was made in 2004. I am not 100% sure though. Definatley a versatile amp, especially with 4 distortion channels; names and descriptions: clean (pretty much self explanatory, sounds great with my Ibanez GSZ120), crunch (great sounding clean/distorted channel, if you EQ it right you can make it like a lightly, but crunchy distrorted sound), metal (perfect for all your favorite metal stuff, ranging from Metallica, to Van Halen, to anything really), insane (my favorite! Super heavy distortion only from Line 6, no pedals needed for this setting. Amazing for heavy metal, hard rock, anything that is heavy sounding. You'll need to hear it to believe it! I wish it had something like, you can put a blank CD in, and just record it right to the CD from your amp). I have to use a bunch of programs, and a webcam that doesn't have the best mic. I use it in my room, it is very powerful, if I took it outside to my garage and cranked it, then it would probably set a bomb off with it's power, for a 30 watt amp, this is one loud little bugger. It also has 6 effects, you can turn on two at once, chorus flange, phaser, tremolo, on one knob, and the other knob has sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb. Sadly, you can only have one effect from each knob on at the same time (that is what I meant by two at once).

SilentGhost
    The clean sound on this is just horrible. The Insane and Metal tones are pretty good though, much better than whatever you can try to pull out from a Vox or a Cube. I don't use clean much (or at all unless its for Opeth) but when I do, I just use the neck pick-up on my guitar and lower the drive on clean. If you do that, you get a half decent clean sound for the price.
    Bygde
    This amp rocks! Especially the insane and crunch settings. I know that many of you guys hate the crunch, but at high levels of distortion it handles rock pretty good I think. To me, the metal channel suck. I don't know if it's just my amp that does this, but it has very little sustain. All the other channels have about the same sustain, but the tones when playing the metal channel dies after just a few seconds. I've tried with reverb, but it was hardly any better, it was just annoying.
    Bygde
    Actually, the problem I mentioned above was solved with a simple invention called the humbucker now I can use the metal channel as well
    seriouslycrazy
    This Amp sounds great but after it went dead on me a few times, I took it back and picked up a Fender FM65 DSP. More bang for your buck!