Spider III 30 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 30

Purchased from: Andertons

I use a cheap Washburn X-10 with an HSS stock pickup configuration. I find this amp great for whenever I play blues it can provide either a fresh clean tone or a nice silky warm tone even with my not so great guitar. I wouldn't describe this amp as noisy, not that I have noticed anyway. I'd say this amp is very capable for the price and has a very broad range of sound. The effects are probably the biggest disappointment as they cannot really be tweaked and they are quite weak, but I can't complain seeing as they are all built in. when compared with the Marshall MG series I found this amp far more versatile. If you love high gain distortion this amp is excellent, I have no need for a separate distortion pedal thanks to this amp!

I have only been playing about 8 months, some may say this puts this review at the bottom end of credibility however due to me still being an early guitar player I have experiment in a very broad range of musical styles from blues and country all the way to metal so I have put this amp to it's limits. If this amp was lost or stolen I would consider whether perhaps to get a higher output amp purely so that I could gig with it in the future.

I have no intention of gigging with this amp largely because I'm not good enough but having said that if it was a small venue then I'm sure this amp would hold up fine. So far this amp has given me no problems it's solidly built, I should mention it's not a closed back amp so the speaker is left vulnerable. I haven't had any issues with this amp but I'll mark it down to 7 purely because this amp is vulnerable to abuse if the owner is on the careless side, not the amps fault entirely but it is still vulnerable.

This is a 4 channel amp: Clean, Crunch, Metal and Insane. I initially found this amp not very versatile, to me it was clean or heavy distortion. However after owning it for quite a few months now I've found that this is actually a pretty versatile amp. I can get great crisp cleans or more grinding cleans with the Drive at 10. The crunch channel while harder to get a good sound out of isn't bad at all it's great for like classic rock rhythm guitar. I use this as a practice amp and I rarely have it past 1/4 full volume it is a very loud amp for it's class and I have no trouble being heard when playing all with friends. This amp lets you plug in headphones if you so choose as well as record straight to your computer if you have the appropriate adapters. I find the channel memory an excellent feature it saves all my favourite EQ settings.

Poolar
    I have a spider III 30 and i absolutly love it, but 2 of my friends have the 75 watt and mine rapes their's in sound quality. Their's sound all watterd down when playing with distortion. Either i just got lucky and got a good amp or theres somthing wrong with the 75 modle.
    Freshnoise
    For a while I had second thoughts about buying this, but recently I have fallen in love with the tone and versatility of this amp. The clean channel is amazing. Despite other reviews, I believe the crunch channel is great if you don't have an overdrive pedal. It doesn't get as muddy as the other channels. I don't use metal very much, but it also has great distortion. The insane channel is truly insane, but can get muddied up by just the slightest tap against the strings. The insane makes it easy for an amateur guitarist to look like Eddie Van Halen because tapping is so easy and you can play with just your left hand by tapping and pull ons/ pull offs. I'm glad I got this amp, overall its a good buy.
    TheBax
    i'm pretty happy with my amp, i'm still looking to trade it in for a Roland Cube 30, but that's MY preference. It's all about what YOU like. And like ROCKAHOBO said, it's not THAT bad, i mean, there's definately worse amps out there. The only problem i have, is that the only channels that sound good to me are insane and clean. I'm okay with not using crunch, but i don't like using insane all the time, because if i played metal all the time, which i don't, i would love it, but i rarely play metal music... but when i do, it sounds great on this amp. I just want an amp with better sounds at lower distortions. But overall, this amp is an OK amp, especially for it's price.
    Shredder30
    the amp sometimes doesnt turn on right away and also i was pretty dissappointed with the crunch and metal channels
    canadianeh?
    does this amp also work well with pedals? I have a G1X and it works good but with all the effects on this amp, I'm not sure.
    ccak123
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: Anyways this is a really nice amp for the price, the insane channel is immense, but the only thing I absolutely hate about it is that when you change channel the volume is on max. I don't know how many times it has happened to me that I by mistake have pressed the insane channel button and nearly destroyed my eardrums
    Yeah, I wish it didnt do that! I just got mine and that happened the first time i tried insane
    Triviumsucks666
    I think that this amp is great for death metal bands such as Slayer, Metallica, etc.
    uummm.. what? THRASH, NOT DEATH, THRASH!!!
    nathraq
    the electrical connections on my Spider III 30 are messed up: turn the amp on, and the phaser light comes on. Turn it from crunch to insane, and the tape delay button lights up. Turn the bass knob from 8 to 6, and it actually cuts off the bass, and need to play with it till it's gets that juice to power it back up to teh correct setting. it's a dog