Spider III 30 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 30

Purchased from: Steve's

I use the Spider with a Godin Exit 22, and they seem to be pretty well suited for each other. I mostly play hard rock and some metal, and this amp is really well suited for that. The Spider gives a lot of sound in a fairly small package, and the distortion you can get out of it is just awesome. I don't find this amp to be noisy at all and it even has a built-in noise gate.

This amp is a really good match for the style of music I play, and was a very good purchase in my eyes. This is definitely the best amp you can get for around $200, and if it was stolen I would buy another one for sure. The presets on this amp are annoying, but they can be fixed fairly easily, and, frankly, for a $200 dollar amp this thing can get some pretty kick-ass sounds. I've been playing for almost four years now, and own a Peavy Raptor, Godin Exit 22, and a Peavy amp that gets it's ass handed to it by the Spider. I recommend this amp whether your an experienced guitar player or just starting out, and looking for an amp with a fairly small price tag and a great sound.

This amp's been used in multiple small gigs since I got it, and I haven't had any problems with it so far. I'd rather not use use it for a gig without a backup, but then again it's always good to have a backup amp. That said, nothings gone wrong with this amp since I've gotten it, and I doubt it would break down in the middle of a show. The Spider is made in China and there might be some problems with quality control, but I seem to have gotten a good one.

The Line 6 Spider III 30 has four channels: Clean, Crunch, Metal and Insane, as well as six effects: Tape Echo, Sweep Echo, Reverb, Chorus Flange, Phaser, and Tremolo. Each setting is good for getting a different, unique, sound. The Crunch setting is a bit harder than the others to coax a really good sound out of, but once you have it can be really good for classic/hard rock tunes. The Metal setting is good for, well, mostly metal, whether it be Metallica, Sabbath, or anything really. The Insane setting is, as promised, insane. It gives massive distortion great for anything really heavy sounding. Turn the distortion boost on (which can be done by holding the tap button while turning Drive past halfway) while in Insane mode and this amp is just plain scary. The only feature on this amp I don't really like is the preset tone/effects. When my Drive knob says 8 points of Drive I want 8 points of Drive dammit! Other than that everything is good... This amp is really powerful for just 30 watts.

melonhead-59
    SN1P3R CHURCH wrote: can someone help I have had this amp for about 4 months and it just stoped working. When I turn it on the lights wont come on and I cant play my guitar, if you know whats wrong please help me thanks. is it plugged in?
    lol, good one
    EvilAngel93
    Eh, I owned one of these played through an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and it was decent up until I bought a Mesa Rectoverb. There's no question which is better.
    dean_reaper
    why does noone mention that this amp sucks for hooking up pedals. i have one and im trying to get rid of it cause every pedal sound like crap through this amp.
    Indie Purist
    I disagree, I play through a Zoom G2 pedal and a EHX POG 2. They sound really great through the amp. I definitely don't like using the crunch setting along with everyone else. If I have a pedal, why would I? The clean is the best part, I think.