Spider III 30 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Line 6: Spider III 30

Price paid: € 190

Purchased from: local supplier

The clean channel is fine, it sounds crisp and deep, the crunch channel is passable for some blues, in my opinion the other channels are unusable for any style of music and whatever tweaking you make on them. If you want to play metal or other music styles with some distortion in my opinion there are two options: 1 use a distortion stompbox and either Switch on clean or crunch channel and tweak the eq to your taste. 2 use a amp sim unit like the POD X3 and Switch to the clean channel and try to set the eq to 12:00

I've played for 15 years and i rarely gig. I play several genres, including some metal. Overall, I'm happy with my amp, I use it for practicing at home. The 12" speaker gives a nice bass response. The clean channel is great and the on board effects are useful. The cons are: 1) the speaker gets muted when a jack is plugged in the phones/records out 2) the hi-gain channels are ridiculous 3) there's no possibility of upgrading the simulation firmware of the amp

I have it for around 2 years and I had no problems except that sometimes on switching on the unit it doesn't restore the settings. But this is solved by switching it off and on again. I don't think it's a reliable amp for gigs and at this price I doubt that the manufacturing & quality control was very consistent.

12" Celestion speaker, 4 channels (virtual digital channels: clean, crunch, metal & insane), no effect loop, headphone jack 1/8", record out 1/4" jack that mutes the speaker when a jack is plugged in, Line 6 FBV in to insert a channel switching unit, useful drive, eq, channel volume knobs and 2 simultaneous effects at most. Chosing from chorus/flanger, phaser, tremolo and sweep echo, tape echo and reverb. Feature wise it's great, but I regret the fact that the speaker gets muted if you plug in an external source through the record out. A Switch to mute/unmute would be great

SilverSpurs616
    Kurt1964 wrote: I've never been more disappointed in an amplifier in all my life. it distorts when it wants to, it cannot rember it's own presets accurately, at times it fails to turn on, it tends to "freeze", it cuts off after a few hours of play.... the list is just too long to continue. If you buy this amp, "KEEP YOUR RECIEPT"!!!
    +107
    benjerman95
    i agree. i brought it 1 year ago and i cant even trust it to practice with. so dodgy and doesn't work