Spider III 30 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Line 6: Spider III 30

Purchased from: Pianos 'N Stuff

I play this through a Custom ordered Jackson (which required me to sell all my equipment, but hey, I got my dream guitar), it suits mostly metal players but not anything fast because it gives off an odd digital signal instead of a normal one (undoubtedley to get more distortion), the signal greatly overpowers the higher guaged strings (I.e. If you played some sort of note that required the top string to be played with a lower guage string, you would never hear it, discluding chords) and it muds out all the other strings if the top is played, even your lowest guage string, all the while making it very noisy and painful to listen to.

If you are looking for a GOOD metal amp, it is not this one. In fact, it is not good for any music. I have been playing for about 11 years and I'm sorry to say that a Jackson with fully custom components, EMG's, fine wood, amazing wiring, a Floyd Rose, beutiful distortion pedals, awesome effects, and a ziploc jumbo bag filled with cocaine to try to help this amp in sound, will just end up sounding like godzilla trying to f@#k out the insides of one of those walmart First Act guitars. When I first bought it, the guys asked me if I wanted a free set of ear plugs and laughed, I really should have taken them. I should have asked them if it came with a free bottle of LSD. If it were stolen, I would laugh at the guy who took it. I would deffinetley get something from crate, marshall, vox, or mesa industries, all of those amps would gladly piss on that amp, and they aren't even capable of it! What I love? The tremelo effect, all the way up, because it mutes half of the note I play so my ears won't bleed to death. What do I hate? Pretty much everything else. Damn, I wish I had went with the crate, never go with a company or amp you are unfamiliar with.

DO NOT PLAY THIS LIVE. Your audience will just throw up on you. In addition to painful, unfriendly tones, this amp is very unreliable, it will turn off at random, the buttons sometimes do not work, and it requires A LOT of power, if the plug isn't 100% in the wall, it sounds like a walrus taking a monster duece on someone's chest.

This amp was made in 08 in China. It has 4 channels which each represent some amp model, Clean (unknown), Crunch (unkown Marshall model), Metal (Mesa industries rectifier), and Insane (unknown). It also has 6 effects, Chorus Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, Tape Echo, Sweep Echo, and Reverb. It has 3 jacks, an AUX jack, some sort of jack to record through, and a jack for pedals. The only thing you will not use is the crunch setting, the only possible song I could think sounds good on it is Smoke on the Water. I would not use this amp live, in fact, I wouldn't use it as a practice amp. I would buy a better amp, but this was too good of a price to pass up, not to mention I'm struck for cash.

MaggaraMarine
    I have only tried the old Spider 1 in our school and didn't like it. It's the 100W model with 2x12". The sound is so muddy and noisy when you turn up the volume and the crunch sound is just lifeless compared to our school's old HH Electronics series 50 amp and Laney TF200 (HH is solid state and I like that amp very much, it has some reliability problems, Laney is hybrid and I like it too). The only thing I like is the clean. It's pretty "cold" (I like "cold" cleans) and with chorus it's better. Delay has not enough repeats. If the Spider 3 is like the same as Spider 1 I don't recommend to buy it.
    Dpullam
    I play on one of these at a friend's house semi-regularly and I like what it does for metal. I haven't tried the other settings too much but it seems like a pretty solid amp.
    davegrohljr
    This amp is exactly what you get - a great sounding practise amp - I play with my Epiphone WWorn G-400, and its great for my tastes in music: P & W, grunge, metal, classic rock, & punk
    50fitty
    I have had this amp for... well I don't know how long. Maybe somewhere around three years? I have never had any issues with it. I have no idea what you all are talking about. I love this amp. I play through this for my youth group and I can overpower the system easily. There are no problems with any of the channels in my mind. I use all of them, just some more than others. My advice is to ignore the reviews and get this amp.
    dooncan
    Please guys, DO NOT BUY THIS AMP! It sounds so digitized all the time, you can't put any pedals through it without it completely ruining the sound and it just sounds muddy and horrible all the time. I bought it and now I have to wait until I have enough money to buy a proper amp.
    evileenz
    I just bought this amp for 60. I haven't really sat down and tried it yet as I don't use amps often and when I do it's always marshal amps. I noticed straight away (when checking to see the amp working) that the digital sound from this amp is trying to copy the cmos sound from roland and boss studios but the amp does it badly. Clean channel did sound nice but I haven't had it at full volume. I did see a nice 12" celestion speaker in the amp which (if need be) I could use for another amp that is at a friends house.