Spider III 75 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 75

Purchased from: DV247.com

With this amp I use a Yamaha guitar, which is a hsh configuration, and it sounds great, my axe has never sounded so good. There is a sticker which comes on the amp which tells you, in small print, how to configure it to so the presets sound the best with your pickups, which is really useful (something that should really be in the manual). So you can make your guitar sound like anything you want. I mainly play rock, from acoustic and classic rock to some punk and metal, and this amp really does fit everything; I used to have to carry round loads of fx pedals, now I don't because the amp has it all built in, which saves a lot of time when I need to change my setup slightly. The clean channel stays clean all the way up till the last tiny bit when it becomes slightly distorted; and the distortion can be setup from a casual crunch to a nail biting level, but even at the top end of the distortion the sound is still clear enough so that you don't just hear a grinding sound. The sound clips of the Line 6 site really show how different the sounds can be, and the sounds are realistic, when I listened to them on their site I was unsure if that's how the amp would sound, but it sounds exactly like the site.

This amp would suit any style of playing, the amount of different amp models it comes with (12) means that there is an amp model for every song, and the presets (all 400 of them) mean that you can instantly find the sound you are looking for. The only thing which is bit on the lame side is the manual, but to be honest it's a kind of amp that doesn't need much explaining. One thing that I wished it had come with is a complete list of all the presets built in to, 'cause with 400 fo them it's very hard to find the one you are looking for with out knowing what category they are in, luckily they are listed on the Line 6 site and you can print them off, but it would of been nice if at the back of the manual there was a list of them. Even so this is a great amp, which I would definitely buy again.

This amp is an amp to depend on, is built like a brick and I mean that it wouldn't break, not that's it heavy (it seems lighter than other 75 Watt amps I have used before). It's a solid state amp, so there are no tubes to change, but the sound is still as great as a tube amp.

This amp is really versatile, you can go for practically any sound you are after, from a '60s type twang for songs like blackbird, to classic Marshall-esque distortion for songs like back in black. The insane amp model is perfect for metal songs, and is great for the main part of Sum 41's WWV II. This amp has 4 channels to which you can immediately switch to, it can 3 different effects running at the same time, these are chorus/phaser/tremolo, delay/tape echo/sweep echo and reverb, each of the settings for the effects are tied in with the channel setting, so one click of a button and you can change every setting on the amp. It comes with a headphones/POD style out jack, which is really great, the sound from the jack sounds exactly like that coming out the speaker, and you can also plug it straight into your computer's line in socket to record the sound from the amp. Overall the amp is great and there are no major features I wish it to have, but the one thing which is a bit tricky is the navigator, which is a bit fiddly to use, but you get used to it. The manual is also a bit on the lame side, and could be explained a lot easier. This amp is great for practising with, and yes it is the 75w version, but when you turn it down low it still sounds great, but it also has enough power in it to manage to do small gigs, and it is built so it's practically indestructible.

ravinbay
    If i have a 400 bucks i'do go buy a cheap tube amp rather than this one
    SchitzoJoe
    pinkvelocity wrote: is it truly worth spending $400 on an amp? I have a crappy little 8" amp and it works fine, because I just got the RP 250 for christmas, and I can get plenty of sound out of my set up, so why buy a $400 amp?
    You can find it for $300 at Zzounds.com and MusiciansFriend. It looks like a decent amp.
    CSUTremonti777
    This isnt too bad of an amp in reality, just like most every other person on here has been saying. I was gonna buy this amp and then I played the Vox AD30VT and the Marshall 15w microstack and both of em blew this out of the water. And the Marshall was the same price and the Vox was 60 bucks cheaper. And even another thing, both the Marshall and the Vox were waaaaay louder than this amp. So basically if you want built in effects, get the spider. If you want tone quality. Get the Marshall or the Vox.
    last_biscuit
    Lol of course it's worth it if you play gigs, but can't afford a professional quality amp. However i would go with the 150watt ones if you were gigging and they're better value for money anyway. I have a Spider II 212, its a 150watt combo, and it's alot better than people give Line 6 credit for. In terms of the sounds you can get out of it, and because of it has more gain *the insane setting and metal settings for example* than the Marshall or Vox amps mentioned, i think it is a great choice of amp. However the Marshall and the Vox are preferred by puritsts because of their associations with the valve-amp versions of their amps. i personally prefer the line 6 solid state amps to the marshall and vox solid-state amps.
    dilbert_5150
    And once again, the best idea is to go to your local guitar shop (with your axe!), try it and compare to another modeling amp (if really want a modeling one). As for me Vox ad30vt is a better solution (mainly because I found the vintage and classic rock sounds to be more interesting in it). But YOU can find the 'insane' setting the most interesting, and you'll choose spider. You can't really go totally wrong with those modeling amps. I'm not saying they're outstanding but it's quite good to play a song using some vintage A-class amp tone, and then with a push of a button switch to A/B-class hi-gain beast. I know that everyone would like to have more then one great amplifier in your house, but hey, only few can afford it :] The most important thing is go and find the sound that suits the best your own preferences and style.
    redteamleader
    a great amp at a decent price that eliminates the need for a host of pedals and effects. loud enough for gigging and sturdy enough to drag around. both myself and the other guitarist in my band have a line 6 now (his is the spider II, mine the spider III)- digital's the way, man.
    CapnKickass
    I got to try this amp at long and maquade, the effects were pretty neat. Though I was in a little sound proof room and had the volume low, so it was too muffled to tell how good it really sounded. I think i'll just save up for a good orange amp, tubes just sound so good. a couple pedals for good measure and i'm set.
    Orkin
    IMO, I think if you have a bit more money you should go for the next line 6 up, the flextones are nice amps and sound a little less digital than the Spiders, plus for the people that are interested there are a lot more bluesy tones on the flextone as well as some heavily distorted ones. Digital really is the way forward but most people wont be converted over too it until its absolutely perfected.
    RevolverX
    I had a Spider II amp, and it was perfect for helping me try a variety of sounds and play songs that demand a bevy of effects without buying pedals - ie. late Pantera. We pay about twice as much for guitar stuff here in Canada, so a JCM 2000 wasn't an option until recently when I could cover it. As a student, I bust my ass paying tuition, and stuff like the cheap Line 6 products are a godsend at times. That said, my Spider II was faulty and crackled like a sparkler on the fourth of July by the time I was done with it ... so, make sure you get that extended warranty.
    calculated_loss
    Quebec style? Haha, so many comments, so little time. Sorry. But yeah, I have a Spider II and I think teh IIIs a waste of money. Like really, $100 extra dollars for PRESETS? I paid $450 for my 210 the other day, and I think a Spider III 210 is a little over $100 more. It sucks that they stopped making Spider IIs, cuz you can figure the presets from the Spider III out on a Spider II with a good ear and a little patience.
    Dewy141
    its funny how everyone disses Line 6 but half of the people own one.
    mrs. jimmy page
    i love my spider III! it suits all of my needs and i make some pretty darn AH-MAZING sound fx from it! i got mine for $350, but thats cuz i "know" ppl at guitar center. its totally rox. i'm sooooo glad i got it, cuz i needed it cuz i'm performing in front of my whole school so i cant use a dinky single spekr 20 year old randall thats just a piece of crap. its perfect for me (at least right now). I havent run into any problems... cept that i need to put casters on it and i cant find any possible way to do it... any ideas? HELP!!!!!
    USAPeavey
    Well, after playing this amp for about a half hour at GC, I have to say I was impressed. The distortion sounds great...probably the best built in dist. I've heard in a SS. I wasn't too happy with the cleans though... there are no dynamics on the clean channel at all. It may have just been me, but I couldn't get a satisfying clean at all. That being said, Its sill a great amp and I will be looking into other Line 6 gear. As for the "modeling amp skeptics", sit down with a Fender Cyber Twin for a couple of hours, hopefully it will change your thinking.
    bambi_slaughter
    Really, people need to play these amps some more. I have played my friends spider II tons and i despise it. Vox is a much, much better alternative. You know, when amps come in in series like other consumer electronics, they're bound to sound digital.
    whitebluesboy
    These amps are all garbage. The sound is so fake and digital its ridiculous. For $420 you should do yourself a favor and buy a decent tube amp and the distortion pedal of a your choice. These amps are okay if you are playing clean but they really have terrible distortion.
    QuiteTheFellow
    If you have a Spider III, I hope that you tried out a Vox Valvetronix or a Roland Cube before buying it. I was going to go for a Spider III, but one of my friends told me to try the Vox instead. Sure enough, it completely blew away the Spider III in almost every way (except for the amount of wattage, but IMO the Spiders' tone totally craps out when you crank it up). If you have one and you've tested out some other brands before you got it, props to you. If you think that the tone sounds better than a Vox or a Roland Cube, that's what matters. But if you haven't, you don't really have much to compare it to besides your crappy old practice amp, so you'll think it sounds awesome. For the price/wattage, it's a decent amp, but if you save up just a little more and don't mind missing out on the extra wattage (see next paragraph) of a Spider, there are so many other amps you can get that will likely serve you better. The bottom line: Test out other amps before you buy a Spider (or any other amp). Don't buy it just because you like the amount of features, or the amount of wattage the Spider III has for the price. If you haven't played a tube amp or anything, you really won't have anything to compare it to. Also, don't be fooled by the wattage it has; that's what lures in people who don't have much experience with amps. I find that the louder you crank the Spider, the worse it sounds.
    Dude...
    Everyone on the comments dissing the SIII are comparing it to the SII. Honestly, I can tell SII is a complete piece of trash. The SIII however has very nice distortion and does okay with cleans. Not the best amp, however not the most expensive and quite versatile. ~my 2 cents~
    SomethingWild
    Let me first say that I play heavy metal, and wanted an amp with high gain. For metal, the Spider III in my opinion sounds much better than the vox valvetronix amps. However if I played anything other than metal, I would have chosen the vox. I think this is a great metal amp, but I would not choose it if I played any other style of music. The cleans are decent but don't compare to the vox valve amps
    JesseWyllychuk
    Well kids, I play every type of music, and this amp hasn't disappointed me, all the stuff going around that it sucks is completely incorrect. The spider III is great!
    pnkr0cker
    if nobody has ever really had time to mess with a line6 amp they cannot talk. and to be honest most people on here probably haven't. all the fx and of presets don't aren't the whole reason why it makes so many different sounds. i can make totally different sounds just from messing with the bass drive treble and mid knob. next time you go to a store with one of these spend all your time messing with it as many different ways possible and youll see its not another modeling amp. its the real deal. the spider 2 even makes many sounds.
    the spiker
    This is just a spider II amp with a spider III look.... amp models are pretty much the same -_-
    DisturbedOne126
    yeah i just got one for x-mas and i love it. i think its alot better then the spider 2 and idk about an problems it has because i just got it. but if i was to do a show or something, i would use this most of the time its very goos for the price
    Rocketboy
    Got one for christmas, and it seems really good. The presets are great for finding new tones and sounds, but most importantly it sounds good. Well i used to have a fender frontman so anything would be better
    SchitzoJoe
    I'm highly considering buying one of these, but I'm not sure... If I have distortion on, will I hear any buzzing? I'm using a Crate GX-15 amp, and that's the #1 reason I want to change is because with overdrive on and my guitar with distortion, it sounds like a hive of bees.
    mattmcavoy400
    I'm looking to get the head version of this, can you get a silverstein/taking back sunday tone? also does it come with a footswitch?
    pinkvelocity
    beovulf
    I have a Spider Also.I got that in christmas present.It sounds so good!!!I love it!!!!!
    A-G-guitarist
    looks good but i personally wouldnt pay/try to save up 419.07 for an amp. although i'm only 12 lol.
    fade_to_black18
    lol i agree with last_biscuit, ihad a spider two and loved it, i've been playing for 8 years but i've only had the spider for about one year, and this christmas i got a new marshall half stack, and i still use the spider i love the sound on both, yea the marshall is way better but like last_biscuit said, if you know what your doing you can make the spider sound good.
    dilbert_5150
    Well, it's pretty nice amp for the price, but if you want a "multi-sounding" amp, there's always a g00d idea to consider vox ad50vt, especially if you want more vintage sounds.
    Kingyem0c0re
    To be honest, this amp isn't to bad, It's nothing I'd write to jesus about though, But it's still quite good in comparison with the Spider II
    ygokazuki
    Orkin wrote: Line 6 Spider III? I feel a storm brewing. Let the flaming commence. xD
    Haha yeah really.
    zoso58
    I got this amp for Christmas and it blew me away. There is so much you can do with it. It has almost every stombox built into it that i could ever want to own. The navigator is a little finicky, but you do get used to using it. Also, it provides a great tone library without covering up your guitar's own tone (which I was afraid of when i got it). Forty user-programmable presets are also a major plus.
    cds+stereo=life
    Hooray crappy modeling amps. Plug into a B-52 AT100 and you'll never even touch another line 6. Modeling amps suck by default.
    Cizzie
    I bought my Spider II about 4 months ago, it was from 400 to 250 because of the Spider III coming, but is the III really alot better than the II?
    Scourge441
    My friend has the Spider II amp. There is absolutely no tone whatsoever when you turn the distortion on; it's all fuzz. Unless the Spider III is different, I'll have to tell people to stay away from it.
    blue_strat
    i spent about an hour on a spider III 120W in a shop, and sounded great, but you would really need to get a footswitch with it if you wanted to access different artist models easily. on the actual amp there is just a button to cycle thru the 400 or so presets - not so helpful. i would probably buy it cos with a marshall u cant get a randall sound, with a randall u cant get a fender sound etc etc
    Heilz
    Well not by my name or anything but i have a 30w spider III and my guitar without tuning it sounded great (just after changed my strings n stuff) but if you guys think it sucks w/e still i keep mine.
    last_biscuit
    shrediquette
    Everyone with ears can hear the digital sound of the spider II, maybe it is a decent practice amp for the price but theres also the Vox valvetronix amps(which are also modeling amps)that destroy the Line 6 spider II any days of the week. The tone of the Vox is simply superior to the spider II. I haven't heard a Spider III yet so i won't jump to conclusions but if its anything like the II then you'd be better off going with a Vox or anything else that sounds good.
    sum41freak8733
    this actually inst that bad of an amp get a board for it and its great,ive been playing on a little crappy crate for the last 9 years and this and is alot better than that old shitty thing now of course there are alot better amps out there(duh) but this one is pretty damn good its ment to be a MODELING amp so thats what i expect from it
    Kingyem0c0re
    last_biscuit wrote: lol i love the way how half the people on here consider line 6 to be crap purely because they are modeling amps, when half of the people on here don't own the equipment they talk about kicking ass, and themselves only have crappy little amps. also for a beginner to intermediate guitarist, or someone who isnt rich enough to have it bought for them by mommy n daddy or their wages from work...these amps are great value for money...i've had a Spider II for about 3 years, and i've been playing for 10...it's only in the coming few weeks when i get a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade stack that i am putting the Spider aside as a mere practise amp. And if you know what you're doing, you can make a Spider sound great when recording, not just what i've found but also the words of a studio engineer at a well-known recording studios in Birmingham...the place has had many famous bands rehearse there and record sessions for Kerrang Radio in Birmingham, including artists like Robert Plant, Megadeth, Hammerfall etc
    As soon as you get the H&K Switchblade, You'll want nothing else, it's cream worthy. Although, I have one of these spider III & the H&K Switch, I still prefer to use my 80's JCM800 2x12.