Spider III 75 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 75

Purchased from: Turramurra Music

I mainly used this amp with an Epiphone G-400 and a Variax 600. I mostly play metal and the red metal channel sounds awesome. It isnt noisy at all due to the noise gate, which is very useful and the tone is better than most people give credit for. All the red channels sound great, but for some odd reason the green channels are lacking. Sort of muffled. The clean sounds are good once you tweak it a little and the plexi crunch sounds great. The heavy metal kind of tone is a little digital sounding, but not that noticeable. This amp suits many different styles of music because of the wide range of sounds, although I wish it had a JCM 800 kind of amp model. I haven't really turned this amp past the halfway mark on distortion and I never needed to, so I don't know how grainy it becomes at higher volumes.

I play mostly metal, but also many other styles and this amp suited my style perfectly. The sheer variety of sounds is great, escpecially if you play a wide range of styles and/or are trying to find your own tone. it's a great beginners amp or an amp for a guy on a budget. This is no tube amp, far from it. But for the price, it does the job well. If it was stolen, which isnt likely because it weighs like 20kg, I would go buy a keyboard amp since I recently acquired a POD X3L.

This amp seems very reliable. I've had it for about a year and a bit and it hasn't broken down on me yet. I've taken it to a few gigs and lots of band practices and it's held its own. I would definitely depend on this at a gig without a backup, it just seems sturdy and almost indestructible.

This amp is loaded with features. 400 odd presets, 36 user banks to save your own presets in, 12 different amp models, noise gate, distortion boost, 7 effects (chorus/flanger, delay, phaser, tape echo, sweep echo, reverb), 4 footswitchable channels, a CD input and a Headphones out. This amp is loud, the multitude of effects on it are great and so is the range of sounds.

es_kraken
    i love the built in noise gate, it rocks as good as the mesa emulation on "insane" -just gotta get the special line 6 spider's expression pedal/channel switcher and i'll never need another pedal again
    pings15
    got this amp this week.. for a whole week of tweaking.. i got the sound that i wanted.. compared it into a vox ad50 this dude owns... i've a/b it personally.. together with my pedals.. it requires a lot of tweaking into it's eq.. and i got the tone i wanted... many said this thing sounds digital.. can you please explain it to me how is it "digital"?.. technology today really went on to the next level.. played this thing using my pedals and played with this thing using it's on board modelers.. i heard a tiny difference.. yeah yeah, i know that you guys will just say its too digital this.. and digital that, hey pretty soon all those analog stuff will slowly be phased out... i really believe that we should use this new technology.. "does it sound too digital?" come on there is no such thing as digital sound not unless im hearing 101001001101001100110001101010 TWEAKING IS YOUR FRIEND...
    cj10schmelzer
    i have a question about this amp... is it only compatible with line 6 pedals or can it be hooked up with other brands?
    skinar
    cj shmelzer; it can be used on the fbv pedals or any other foot controllers. but the fbv pedals plug into a different place. i got one of these. the insane setting kicks arse i also use it with an fbv express and it is one hell of an amp. had it for almost a year now and it has never broken or let me down. i live on a farm on dartmoor (middle of no where) and if i take it outside and turn it up to full volume. people living the otherside of our valley call us and complain it makes my pant like a 3 yr old with an icecream but im considering trading it in for a marshall JVM
    DJV646
    I've had this amp for 2 months now and i am amazed at how many features this thing has.
    travd92
    wow, i thought everybody on UG thought these suck. i'm amazed at the comments. but personally, i think this amp is pretty decent. you can get good sounds out of it, and i don't understand why people hate so many modeling amps. this one can do an alright job, and for the money it's wonderful. if i owned one, i would primarily use it as a practice amp. but all in all, i'd give it an 8/10.
    jblittlefield
    Owned one for about a week. Most of the presets sound the same. Craps out at higher volumes. Pretty much useless without the shortboard if you're using it live, and that adds another $270US to the cost. No speaker out!?! Took it back and bought a Kustom Quad 100 DFX instead. Much happier now. Plan on buying a nice tube amp and some quality efx next.