Spider III 75 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Line 6: Spider III 75

Purchased from: Edwards Music

Playing a Squier HSS Fat Strat with Hot Rails and SH-4 JB and an Epiphone Dot with SH-1 '59 and SH-4 JB. Play classic rock, alternative rock, and punk. Suits all style, but many tones sound nearly identical. Quite a bit of noise when volume is up above 3. Clean channel sounds "dark" and becomes "muddy" as you increase volume. Distortion is typical "lame digital sounding", except for a few notable exceptions.

Not impressed with this amp at all - and I really wanted to be as the idea of having 400+ tones available at the touch of a button was quite enticing. I run a DigiTech RP500 through an 80W Squier PA and it sounds MUCH better and offers more useable tones, plus it's much more versatile. Sure, it costs about $200 more, but to get the same versatility (sans useable tones) from the Spider, you'd have to pay $270 for the shortboard (which really should be offered as a package deal with the amp). I really couldn't recommend this amp to anyone, at least not with a with a clear conscience.

Handle Busted the first time I picked it up, but other than that, I can't really comment since I swapped this amp out for a 100W Kustom Quad DFX after about a week of trying to get a bank of decent, useable tones. It seemed to be fairly well-built, but as to it's durability, I can't comment.

75W solid state amp with one 12" speaker. 400+ presets, but only four are "easily" accessed (by hand, unless you spend another $30 for a 2-button f/s). You can lay out an additional $270 and access all 36 presets if you buy the "short board" (which also includes an integral wah/volume pedal). No EFX loop. No speaker output. Your only output is a combination headphone/line out (pick one). Built-in tuner (which I found to be highly inaccurate -- my Boss TU-2 was spot on, as was my crappy little Fender handheld). Difficult to navigate presets using tiny little button.