Spider III 75 review by Line 6

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 6
  • Overall Impression: 7
  • Reliability & Durability: 9
  • Features: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 7.8 Good
  • Users' score: 8.2 (325 votes)
Line 6: Spider III 75
0

Sound — 6
I have a Jackson DXMG Dinky, with EMGs in it. I'm not really satisified with the sound. The clean is awesome, you can get an alright blues sound. it's easy to get an AC/DC outta' it. It sounds okay on the metal setting, but it's toneless.IT doesnt't really suit my style, I play a lot of metal. Like A7X, Pantera, Bullet for My valentine, but it's not that good for it. It doesnt't get too much feedback, not very noisy. The distortion is pretty good, but if you go on guitarcenter.com and listen to the examples of the metal sound on it, you wont get that sound. I've have this amp for over a year and just recently got an alright metal sound on it. Basically, it's good for beginners. On my amp, when you put the master volume below 1 1/2 it doesnt't make noise, I don't know if that's how all of them are.

Overall Impression — 7
The first night I got it, I wasn't happy. I started to get used to it but it doesnt't sound very good. This isn't a good amp for metal. it's okay. If someone stole this, I would defininetly, not buy another one. it's not that good of an amp. It's average, good for beginners.

Reliability & Durability — 9
I gotta say, this beast is reliable though. It's not that heavy, not that big. I've had it for over a year and nothing has gone wrong with. I probably wouldn't use it at a gig without a backup. It hasn't broke down on me yet, pretty happy about that. it's a pretty tough, duriable suprisingly.

Features — 9
I'm not sure what year the amp was made in, but I'm guessing it's farely new. it's a solid state, 75watt. It has a few channels, well it has different amp models. It has clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, and insane. And all of those models can either be on clean(green) or dirty(red). It has a ipod, Mp3, CD player input, headphone jack, and effects loop. It has a few effects, flanger, chorus, phaser, and tremolo. It has 3different types of delays, delay, tape, and sweep. Also, it has reverb. You can have flanger, chorus, phaser or tremolo on with the delay. It does get pretty loud, you could gig with it if you wanted, but I wouldn't recomment it.

16 comments sorted by best / new / date

    psss
    spongey_182 wrote: line 6 make the best amps ever next to marshall
    you my friend have never tried a soldano, a hughes $ kettner or even a peavy. i suggest anyone willing to buy this amp should go out and earn alittle about amps
    kingofnima
    everybody who ever played a tube amp or even a hybrid amp can tell that line 6 sounds like crab. I mean hey they are great if you start out and you want to play around with a lot of different sounds but thats it. Seriously for the money you pay for this map you can get a wayyy better sounding amp!!!
    Bletic
    well this amp is mainly for poor people like me for practicing, lil 12 year olds who think this is teh shitz, or just plain retards. i love it for what i use it for. which is practicing at home. it was cheap and it does what i want it to. stop complaining cuz most people who buy this amp arent gonna gig, and if they do. let them fail by themselves
    Bu113tProf
    I bought this amp in may and i love it so i dont know what you're talking about... Only problem I've had was the handle popped out on one side...(made me pretty mad) haha.
    Mources
    I bought this amp on friday... after reading this!!! And I don't regret at all =) So far so brilliant, although you have to get to know it to use its full potential... I'm still working my way around =P GREAT AMP!!!
    eireannjon
    kingofnima wrote: everybody who ever played a tube amp or even a hybrid amp can tell that line 6 sounds like crab. I mean hey they are great if you start out and you want to play around with a lot of different sounds but thats it. Seriously for the money you pay for this map you can get a wayyy better sounding amp!!!
    eireannjon
    kingofnima wrote: everybody who ever played a tube amp or even a hybrid amp can tell that line 6 sounds like crab. I mean hey they are great if you start out and you want to play around with a lot of different sounds but thats it. Seriously for the money you pay for this map you can get a wayyy better sounding amp!!!
    OK, what does a Crab sound like?
    eireannjon
    Plutoniummatt wrote: this is one soul-less amp, u get get much much better amps than this piece of junk
    OK genius, pray do tell us what you in your infinite wisdom use. How do you achieve your obviously awesome tone. If you are going to say that the spider III is junk then at least tell us what you think is good. How about that for an idea?
    eireannjon
    Avenged.InFlame wrote: alright i got this amp about 4 months ago, ive played 9 shows with is (gigs wtf/e) and for 75w? it's amazing, to hear me over the drums, vocals, and the crowd i had to turn it up to like 6 (of 10 on volume) and it was perfect, the tone will give out if you go too ten sure but if you need to go that loud, why the hell didnt you get the 150w? think about it people, but anyways along with my ltd ec-1000 deluxe this amp rules, and yes, its good for rock, blues, and especially metal, so all you people comparing it to a vox? suck it, yes i have played a vox, and the SIII rapes it in blues sound (but the blues amp model sucks so make the sound yourselves) im 17, and i love this amp, so its not a thing about age, its a thing about being a poser, or opinion, oh and if you cant find the sound you want from the pressets THATS WHY YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN AND SAVE THEM IDIOT. hands down, the SIII 75w is AMAZING 11 out of 10 definetly, and the hd75 is an amazing head check it out. last note, theres absolutely nothing wrong with having a digital sound, stop being afraid of change it sounds the same, your just being a pussy and dont wanna admit that its badass. (when i say "your" i mean everyone bashing the electronics)
    Dude, I totally agree with you. And furthermore Both my Jacksons are loaded with EMG 81/85 and Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon and pearly gates respectively and there is NO WAY THEY SOUND THE SAME!!!
    eireannjon
    Avenged.InFlame wrote: alright i got this amp about 4 months ago, ive played 9 shows with is (gigs wtf/e) and for 75w? it's amazing, to hear me over the drums, vocals, and the crowd i had to turn it up to like 6 (of 10 on volume) and it was perfect, the tone will give out if you go too ten sure but if you need to go that loud, why the hell didnt you get the 150w? think about it people, but anyways along with my ltd ec-1000 deluxe this amp rules, and yes, its good for rock, blues, and especially metal, so all you people comparing it to a vox? suck it, yes i have played a vox, and the SIII rapes it in blues sound (but the blues amp model sucks so make the sound yourselves) im 17, and i love this amp, so its not a thing about age, its a thing about being a poser, or opinion, oh and if you cant find the sound you want from the pressets THATS WHY YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN AND SAVE THEM IDIOT. hands down, the SIII 75w is AMAZING 11 out of 10 definetly, and the hd75 is an amazing head check it out. last note, theres absolutely nothing wrong with having a digital sound, stop being afraid of change it sounds the same, your just being a pussy and dont wanna admit that its badass. (when i say "your" i mean everyone bashing the electronics)
    I totally agree with you mate, I have one of these amps and I use it with my two Jacksons one loaded with EMG 81/85's and the other has Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon and Pearly gates and in NO WAY DO THEY SOUND THE SAME!
    blackxrapture
    i have a question to ask, since i'm only a beginner at these kinds of stuff. will a boss distortion pedal be compatible with this amp??
    A Bad Guitarist
    blackxrapture wrote: i have a question to ask, since i'm only a beginner at these kinds of stuff. will a boss distortion pedal be compatible with this amp??
    It will probably just make your tone divide by 0; there's no way you need THAT much distortion. Now I have a question as well. Why does everyone seem intent on steering me away from this amp? I've talked to about 10 people, they all told me it sucked... But I have the 15w, and it's just fine, albeit very quiet. Whatdafxup?
    Xdearxxdiaryx
    Personally i recommend getting the Spider III 30 watt it saves you some money plus you cant turn up the 75 watt III more than half way without it sounding like crap so theres really no point in getting the 75 IMO. Pretty Ok amp though.