Spider III 75 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Line 6: Spider III 75

I used a Johnson Catalyst with it when I had mine. I pretty much just had two channels: distorted and clean. I played metal a lot when I had it. It can make all sorts of sounds and has quite a bit of variety. Here's the clincher though, the tone is pretty poor in quality. For this price, this amp is not worth it. There are many other amps that you can get for less that are way better than this one. Its high-gain distorted tone is alright if you know what to do. The clean is horrible. It often sounds buzzy and weak. It lacks much of a unique sound. It just tries to model all sorts of things, but it looses quality in the process of trying to achieve that. So yes, it has variety, but the tone is cheap and crappy. Also, this thing does not take pedals well. It has its own built-in effects and my experience with it is that it hated other effect pedals and rejected them.

I liked to play metal when I had it, but now I'm into great clean and low-gain tones. It was alright for metal at the time, but I would recommend some much better amps for even less money for metal. I've been playing for 3 years now. I bought this after 1 year of playing and sold it a few months later. I liked it for a little while because it could do high gain, but I grew to dislike it. It has crap tone. It doesn't take pedals well. It sounds so manufactured and fake. Nothing about it is unique or its own. If you want a decent modelling amp, go for a Roland cube and there are plenty of other, cheaper, better amps for metal than this one. This was a huge waste of money on my part. Oh well, we all make mistakes.

I never had any real problems with the actual amp. It never broke. I took good care of it so it never really broke in any way. I sold it away to pay for a Vox AC4Tv, which I currently have. I had it for a few months, but grew to dislike it pretty quickly. When I sold it it was in perfect condition. There were a few times that it made weird screeching and buzzing noises, but those seemed to fix themselves for some reason.

I bought this new from Guitar Center in June 2009. As far as versatility, I guess you could say that. It's a modeling amp that covers everything from classic rock n rock to modern alternative rock and metal. I bought it because it was an affordable high wattage amp that could do high gain. At the time, I was obsessed with Metallica and tried to play their songs a lot. It has a ton of channels for saving. It's like a computer. I think these modelling amps actually have computer chips in them. It has a lot of effects in it. Yes on the headphone jack. I never gigged with this amp. I wanted an amp with a lot of watts because I wanted to gig and be in a band, but that never happened, so it was a waste of my money. It's solid state, has one speaker. It does have a lot of features, but how well it does it is another question...

mark3777
    I've had mine for probably 3 years now, and I tweak my settings almost every couple of months. Personally I like the red metal setting. It is perfect for playing thrash metal and is generally the setting I practice with songs or jam to. I wouldn't use this for classic rock however and I never could find a setting I liked for the crunch channel. Really you're better off using the metal channel and turning back the tone and volume on your guitar. other than that it's not bad, but I have little use for most of settings on this amp. Planning on getting a new amp soon.
    rv_phoenix
    Another emphatic review of another crappy sound modelling amp... Good Lord! Has anyone ever seen a true guitarist playing on such a combo? Why not? Some people above say that it can "reproduce the sound of the best guitar players on this planet". If so, then why the hell Ritchie, Steve Morse, Yngwie and the rest of the gang stick on their all-tube Engls, Marshalls, and HiWatts, instead of rushing toward the charms of this "great" combo? This Line 6 Spider III 75 a toy for amateurs and period.
    grungelive72
    rv_phoenix
    grungelive72 wrote: I used to have the Spider III 75, but it broke in two years. It was good while it lasted, but I upgraded to a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and it blows the line 6 out of the water.
    You bet! This Fender is a true all-tube amp, with real sound and a great speaker. It's 100 times better than ANY Line 6.
    briansmith246
    Why is it that ALL electronic reviews are plagued by children and f*****retards? If I had 2k for a tube amp I'd buy one. When I look for a review on a Ford Mondeo I don't expect to get 'well a Mondeo's shit you should buy an S class Mercedes' Old saying, compare Apples with Apples. Thanks to all the reviewers that bothered to give 'balanced' reviews very useful. And for the retards f**k off to the 'My XBox 360 is better than your Playstation 3' forums. My 7 year old could write a better review than you morons. Bring on the hate :
    MetallAndy
    I had this amp for 1 month, then it got the Black Box syndrome. Sent it back to the store and they gave me a new one. Had the new one for little over a year, then it happened again. I sent it back to the store and they gave me a new one in addition to selling me a new amp for half the price (Line 6 Valve 212). 1 year later my 3rd Line6 Spider III 75 got the Black Box syndrome. I'm not a fan anymore! Reliability & Durability: 1/10 The amp in general is okey. The sound is pretty good when you're at home practicing, but it sounds way too fuzzy live. At least if you play in a metal band. It sounds better if you mic it up, but still sounds very digital and fuzzy. I'm much happier with my Line 6 Valve 212! I have some grounding problems with it though.