Spider III 75 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Line 6: Spider III 75

Purchased from: Back Alley Music

I've got quite a few guitars, I only have stock pickups on them (because I am on a bit of a budget) and they seem to work well with this amp...but only up to a certain volume. I stayed at my cousin's place the other week (75W and no neighbors) and took it up to my usual practice volume, 3 or 4 on the master volume turny knob thing. Then I thought "Hang on...there are no neighbors! 10!". So of course, I couldn't resist just blasting it up on full volume. It was at THAT point that I realized why this amp gets so many negative views. After reaching beyond about volume 5, the quality in the sound just disappeared. It sounded absolutely terrible, the clean setting sounds like dubstep or something, then the distorted settings just sound like a nest of wasps, even in a huge open space. I would honestly rather eat a cactus than use this amp at a live show.

I play mostly Thrash and Death metal, but I play all kinds of styles and this seems to cover MOST of them. Trying to get certain sounds out of it can be a royal pain in the backside at times but most of the time it delivers well. As I said before, as a practice amp it is great. For gigging, look elsewhere (unless mine is just bad because it's second hand, haha!) but to be honest... I'm not great at reviews (clearly..) so if you're looking into buying one of these amps, get down to your local music shop and try it out for yourself. I'll give it a 7, lucky number.

As far as I can tell, it hasn't broken down in any way. It's a pretty solid bit of kit and none of my custom settings have randomly disappeared (yet). The only thing I think I'll mention is when I turned it on and off again once and it made a sort of high pitched squeaking sound..but, it didn't spontaneously combust so I'm guessing that it didn't affect it. The FBV pedals work perfectly with this amp, I had no trouble setting it up and saving my settings (with some help from the user's manual).

I'm not sure when this amp was made (don't really care either, sorry) but I got it second hand. It's got 75W. Drive, Treble, Bass, Middle, Channel vol and master vol turny knob things. On the far left side is yet ANOTHER turny knob thing that lets you choose from different different amp settings (Clean, Twang, Blues, Crunch, Metal and Insane). On the other side there are yet MORE turny knob things which let you add some Chorus Flange, Delay, Tremolo, Sweep Echo, Tape Echo and Phaser effects to your custom setting/pre-setting. There is a bucket load of pre-settings to choose from including a Slipknot setting, a few Metallica settings and even a Smoke On The Water Setting! A very nice feature is that you can save your own custom settings among the pre-settings. And of course, the all important ON switch. You can buy pedals to use with this amp, such as the Line 6 FBV range. Together these features CAN work well, that does not necessarily mean that they will.

MINNESOTABORN!!
    Hey I am looking at getting a guitar and amp fairly soon and first of all im looking at getting a schecter brand guitar maybe the hellraiser model and and amp. Does the 75 watt spider put out enough power??
    Oulu
    I have this amp and agree it's not bad at low volume.