Spider III 75 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 75

Purchased from: A Friend

I am using My modified ESP LTD M-15 which has a Seymour Duncan Detonator in the bridge. Even though this amp has a built in Noise Gate, it's not adjustable and can still be a bit noisy. The Manual that I got with this, doesn't really explain what the pre-sets are, which I feel would've been a great help. So you just have to scroll through them and be surprised at what pops up. I have found out that it's best to keep the channel volume up all the way and to use the master volume as your main control so this way when you're scrolling, you won't get that loud pop when you hit a certain pre-set that's really Heavy Metal. I've discovered that it's better to create your own sounds, especially with the clean settings because the clean pre-sets on here are sort of weak in volume compared to those with distortion or gain of any kind. Mine didn't come with any footswitch, so I did end up ordering a FBV-2 footswitch which is a necessity with this amp, especially if you're a gigging musician like I am.

I'm 53 years old and have been playing guitar for over 40 years. During that time, I've played through and have owned Marshalls, Fender, and Peavey combos. Now, I see that everybody is using modeling amps and I did decide that I wanted to jump on the bandwagon and get one, and whereelse to go, but Line 6. I'm still getting used to this amp and finding out something new about it everyday, which is the fun thing about it. I'm just having a blast going through the pre-sets at times, and seeing what's on there and what sounds I can replicate. This is a fun amp contrary to what the tone snobs say. I'm digging it and that's what it's all about.

The only problem I had with this, was a loose input jack which I immediately fixed by taking out the chassis and putting some Crazy Glue around the edges of the jack before putting it back in. Now, I don't ever have to worry about it ever getting loose again. Other than that, this amp is built like a tank and the Celestion 12" Speaker adds a lot of clarity to the sound of it. Some people I know have complained about these amps, but if you know how to adjust your EQ, etc, then using these shouldn't be a problem at all. It also helps if you take care of your gear as well.

I believe mine was probably made around 2006 or 07. I just got it over a week ago from a friend of mine who sells used gear on eBay. I was in the hunt for a new amp and I saw that he had this. I'd always wanted a modeling amp and I gave him a call, so he took this off the listing and bought it over and I scooped it up. It's a 75 watt combo with 400 pre-sets, built in tuner, 12 amp models, several different kinds of effects ranging from chorus to sweep echo. There is a Navigator and channel display which does take some getting used to IMO. A CD/MP3 input and a Footswitch control/ Line out/Headphone Jack as well.

DeathMagneticX
    I've got one of these, had it for...4 or 5 years I think now, it's not gone wrong on me yet. The tones I use are rather limited as I only really use it for practicing my bands songs at home (so it's pretty much 1 clean setting, 1 distorted rhythm setting, and 1 lead setting, then one left over for whatever ). I think the clean and hi-gain tones are alright, I don't really use any sort of "crunchy" tone, so I can't really comment on them. Maybe the overall sound is a tad bass-y but for just playing at home in your bedroom it's a great amp. Not really a gigging amp though, I did one gig with it (cause I hadn't bought a better amp at the time) and it wasn't terrible but if you really turn it up, it sounds a bit harsh (I can't think of a better word than that lol ) My only concern is the plastic nut around the input, it snaps off so easily so I'm constantly having to retrieve the input thing from inside the amp to screw it back on cause I hit the lead while it's plugged in with my leg. So I'd recommend using a lead with a 90 degree end on one side, or you could replace the plastic nut with a metal one? Either way, I'm clumsy so I'm always knocking it, but that's my only major concern xD. Great practice amp, I can't really compare it to others, because I've only owned one of these (then I went straight to a Peavey 6505 ;D lol) I've had a brief playthrough a Peavey Vypyr and Valvetronix and I'd take the Line 6 over both. The Vypyr sounded a little better, but there was loads of effects and it took me a while to get my head around how to use it, and I prefer the simplicity of the Spider