Spider III HD150 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III HD150

I play an Ibanez GAX120 guitar with stock humbuckers. The amp is run into a standard Spider III 412 cab. The amp sounds incredible. When you flip the dial to Insane and crank up the distortion, it has the perfect amount of distortion for me. Sufficiently powerful, but not so much that you lose the definition of the notes and chords. I play metal, but when I flip the amp over to the blues models it gets the perfect clean, expressive sound for playing blues. The twang and clean are great for hybrid picking and open chords, and aren't distorted at all except at the highest volumes. If you add a little distortion to them, they get a fairly pleasant amount of grit to them. I also play some punk, and the crunch channel has just the perfect attack and distortion for punk. The built-in noise gate eliminates almost all of the excess hum and hiss in the background. I've left the guitar on my bed with the guitar volume up without muting it and not heard a thing. It also works extremely well for single coil sounds with my Squier Stratocaster.

I've been playing guitar for a year and a half. I actually only played through a 15 watt Fender practice amp before. I bought this and the cab on a paycheck from detasseling this summer. I had spent the three months beforehand playing through every amp I could find at all the music stores around town. This amp definitely jumped out at me. The tone, the looks, the power behind it, and the ease of use were brilliant. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It won over some of the higher end Marshalls for versatility, in my opinion. All in all, it's a great amp.

I haven't had any problems with the amp hardware at all. There hasn't been any breakdown of any kind. It's very solidly built, and I would easily rely on it without a backup. There are some plastic parts that I would prefer to have made of something a little more solid, though.

The Spider III HD150 is a solid state digital modeling amp by Line 6. To start out, it has 400 presets, divided into banks by artist or song. The song presets are divided by era, from the 50s to the 00s. There are also 12 different amp models, all selected by a dial on the far left. There are two models each for Clean, Blues, Twang, Crunch, Metal, and Insane. There are EQ controls for bass, mid, and treble, as well as a channel volume and Drive control. It also has 6 different built-in effects: Chorus/Flange, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay, Tape Echo, and Sweep Echo. The amp also has a reverb control. It has input for Guitar and CD/mp3 players, and output for headphones. It has 4 channels, with 9 different preset banks for saving channels. It has a plug for a footswitch. The only con here is that the footswitch wasn't included with the amplifier. It has 150 watts, which is plenty to power most anything that I play at currently. It also has a built-in noise gate.

xsv
    yea i'm saving up for this and the cab. hopefully it all works out
    TDAJGuitarist
    LakeboDom
    TDAJGuitarist wrote: DONT GET THIS AMP IF YOU ARE PLAYING SHOWS!!!!! They blow up if you crank it and at a show...you need to crank it...I went through three of these damn things in a total of 5 months....I just switched to a B-52 AT-100 Triple Rectifier with a Digitech Grunge Pedal and a Boss Noise Suppresor...I am in a metal band and that set up works great...I highly recomend it. I will say...The line 6 sounds good and are great for recording, or quiet at home practice, but they cant at all handle loud volume....And dont get it if your looking for clean tones cuz they sound like crap clean.
    what cabinet were you using? because i was gonna buy this but now thats like the third time ive heard this...?
    xIxKilledxKenny
    you could always just get a different cab.... but i got this amp a couple of days ago and i love it, but i noticed some buzzing and stuff when i go past like..... 3. So yeah i can see some cab blow outs in my near future
    FHmetalguitaris
    No, you don't need a line 6 cab, you can use any cab. I have played two shows with this amp with a crate cab. But I haven't turned the volume past 5 because the cab was miced. So far I have had no problems with it at all.
    TDAJGuitarist
    No...Thats the thing...Its not the cab that blows...Something in the head blows and it goes dead and wont turn back on...Weirdest thing....
    cableguy1979
    becuase this cabinet has to be hooked up stereo which takes 2 cable ....most people think they can hook it up with one but I call line 6 and they said you will damage it if you hook it up with one and turn it up!
    CurtissLoew
    cableguy1979 is correct you must hook up BOTH right and left sides! A lot of people are hooking them up wrong, He!! I've been in 2 different shops looking at these amps and both had only 1 cable hooked up! remember cab has to be 8 OHMS too & you need to use speaker cable not instrument cable there is a difference in the 2 wires impedance. I got a spider 3 150 HD refurbished for 269.00 from MF and I bought a spider cab from GC for 100. in new condition 369.00 for both head and cab! there are some good deals out there on them right now with the new Spider Valve amp just out. I'll tell ya I really like my spider 3 it sounds very good to my 47 year old ears! sure you MIGHT get a better tone with a Marshall tube or a Mesa or Fender or this or that BUT how much are you gonna have in ALL of them?!? plus my room isn't big enough or my wallet! the Spider3 has all that in one stop shoppin & they really do sound good lol
    jackson soloist
    what TDAJ said worried me but not anymore. i had this cab for about half a year already, but haven't played shows with it yet. it's got a shitloads of effects and u can experiment with it forever! 4 channels and 9 banks. most amps cnt store this stuff unless u have a foot switch. it's also a great way to save money, it's one of the cheapest half stakcs out there. and it sounds very wicked with all the metal tones it has. i just hope when i play my first show it doesn't **** up (lol i have the two cables. the guy at guitar center told me taht already)
    HELLSHREDD
    I picked up the new spidervalve 112 all tube amp today & all i can say is everyone that has solid state crap should go check the new line 6 out & be prepared to go to the moon!
    TedESP
    Great amp for your money. I've heard all this shit about blowing fuses and shit but nothing has happened to me yet, and i use it at band practice and at gigs. Any amp wont sound good if you turn it up all the way so i dont see why anyone would. I think instead of settling for shitty tone for volume, invest in a cheap PA so you can mic it. This amp sounds good around a little less than half and if you dont need to compete with a drummer you wont need to go that high. I've used it at 2 or 3 gigs now and i trust it, the only thing i didnt like was the cab it came with. It isnt the best cab out there because the speakers crackle if you use too much bass, but again we can fix that with our PA. Sorry for rambling on but if you have questions email me at hells_puppetmaster_08@hotmail.com