Spider III HD150 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III HD150

This amp is loud. It is definitely a gig worthy amp after you tweak the sounds to your liking. The amp is almost noise free and has some of the best sounds I have ever heard from a modeling amp. This amp will fit any style of music due to the flexibility of all the built in models. This amp really shines at high volumes, the cleans are really crisp and direct and the distortion sounds absolutely brutal. I found at high volumes it is best to ease off on the distortion a little bit just to have more clarity of chords and notes.

This amp is one of the best choices I have ever made. Although it is a modeling amp and probably isn't the right amp for purist, it still sounds amazing and definitely does the job. I'm in college so I find myself constantly using the headphone jack to practice all my songs which is very convenient because I don't have to use an external FX processor or anything, I can just scroll through my presets. If this amp was stolen I would but it again in a heartbeat. I have had absolutely no problems with this amp and it is constantly being used at gigs all around town. I would highly recommend this amp to anyone Who is looking for a great reliable amp head.

I have had no problems with this head. Unlike tube heads you don't have to worry about putting it in standby or overheating the tubes, yet you can still get almost the same sound. It is built very well and will definitely hold up no matter how many gigs you play with it.

This amp has a plethora of features. It has the absolute best sounding clean/distortion models of any amp in it's price range. I play all types of music and it's great because I can easily Switch from a clean tube amp sound to a crazy distortion in an instant. I had the extra pedal to Switch channels because I use this Live. The preset sounds are also very nice sounding compared to most presets on amps. This doesn't mean they don't need some tweaking to sound the best they can, but they are decent. The best part about this amp is all the FX and models it has. If you play around and tweak this amp enough you can get almost any sound you are looking for.

you go wrong by buying line 6
    HELLSHREDD wrote: I picked up the new spidervalve 112 all tube amp today & all i can say is everyone that has solid state crap should go check the new line 6 out & be prepared to go to the moon!
    guitargod1965
    Also, despite the opinion of many people who I have spoken with, the Spider kicks the hell out of the Peavey Vypyr. The Peavey has a million bells and whistles but sounds poor (crummy speakers) and is very noisy. As for the Marshall solid state amps...ugghhhh!!!!!
    KY_GuitarMan
    All the dudes bashing the "tone" of this amp are just scrubs who live in their mom's basement and play hondo's. The tone of this amp is what you make of it. I've found every tone I've wanted from the amp and I guarantee you if you blindfolded any of these "experts" they couldn't pick out a $300 Line 6 from a $3000 Marshall.
    pete_190290
    I've used line6 from the start, just upgraded to the HD150. I aint got the money to buy a mesa boogie, but that would be a future investment defo. the guy that keeps goin on about them havin no tone is a tard. My little combo kicks the shit out of most amps it's put with on stage, just a shame i blew the speaker i have had it for 3years now and gigged well over 100 times with it in venues WAYY bigger than it was meant to handle
    guitargod1965
    Hey ranikade3, do you even play guitar? My guess is that you probably don't, but that if you do you, you think you are fabulous when in reality you suck bum... See ya stupid.
    guitargod1965
    ranikade3 wrote: F**K LINE 6! I HATE MODEL AMPS! NO TONE! This amp is for people who dont know how to set settings or know a f**king thing about tone.
    you are an actual idiot. First, tone is not something you need to know about to enjoy or comment on. Tone is subjective and varies from person to person based on a variety of things, the least of which is experience. Tone is something that one finds with one's ears. You are a total dumbass
    gizmodious
    Line 6 = awesome recording/practice power and all the bells and whistles. I have to agree that live I would touch one of these things with a 12 foot pole. Gay fish.
    guitargod1965
    this is a fantastic head and cabinet combination. It is extremely versatile, has excellent clean and heavy tones and never gives me any problems. Here is a little secret for anyone who feels that it sounds a little to digital and is looking for more of a tube sound. Run your guitar through a Fulltone OCD in front of the amp with the gain at about noon and you will not be disappointed. The resulting metal type distortion is unique and as good as any decent tube amp. Try it for yourself.
    Shard Heilia
    woodpusher637 wrote: I just purchased one of these off ebay because I hear it's one of if not the best in it price range. I've been wondering though, of the presets, what songs does it have by Metallica, Slayer, Linkin Park, and Slipknot? And does it have some of the newer songs such as the Day that Never Comes by Metallica? Last question: Can you add more song presets from online? Thanks.
    As far as I know, you can't update it from online. And The Day That Never Comes came out after this amp did.
    woodpusher637
    superloco
    The thing about tube amps is that they are way overpriced, obsolete, and unreliable. The last thing you want is to be onstage and you lose a tube because you've got it "CRANKED UP" way to loud. Granted loud is good but come on if you care about your equipment you should keep the volume reasonable. I always find a way to keep my cab isolated as good as possible. I keep my cab miced in a room behind the stage with the doors closed. I have a 20' cable that I made out of 14awg speaker wire ran to it. I keep the volume on the head at 10'o clock. I let the P.A. do all the work.
    ExplorerJoe
    What some people fail to think about is that while a mesa boogie is probably the holy grail of metal amps, have you ever tried to practice with it without knocking the house down?? I bought a mesa dual recto about 12 months ago, i'm a fairly humble guitarist and bought before i realised what i was getting myself in for. The thing is awesome but i'll tell you now it sounds like absolute shit at bedroom levels (obviously... tube amps are like that) So i am going to go and buy a spider 3 to practice with, the mesa can go into mothballs until such time as i can play something at a club or similar. Just my 2 cents, but dont buy a mesa and expect a good sound at volume level 1, cause it just doesnt happen. And anything above that makes your ears bleed...
    irishguitar9
    the problem with the head can easily be overcome if you spend 5 dollars on a fan and put it behind the head. boom, there you have it, a great sounding amp that wont blow up and you dont have to replace.
    superloco
    I have owned the HD150 and 4/12 cab for over 2 years now and have had no problems with it at all. I play everything from metal to R&B every week with the volume turned to 10 o'clock and ran mono with the cab miced. The left side out on the amp is designed to run the cab, plugged into the left side as well, mono. You get more volume without having to turn it up so far which is what is probably causing everyone to blow their cabs, granted there are better cabs than the Line 6, but it does the job just fine.
    guitarp_11
    CurtissLoew wrote: you MIGHT get a better tone with a... Mesa...
    Actually, I was quite disappointed with the Mesa Boogie lonestar- no bottom end... Went with a Marshall : )
    scottishme
    ok im looking at getting this head with the line 6 spider cab to go with it and going to be using a dean fbd ML we gig loads and play metal but also i play in a couple of other bands ie blues and a new classical band as well will these stack do the job i want or not ?????
    Darkhorse V
    I love this amp. About to buy one soon. Oh, and TDAJ, it's a stereo amp and cab. You're going to have the same problem with your next rigs if you hook a stereo rig up mono - not trying to trash you, just be careful. Incredible amp for the money | Great amp period.
    scottishme
    ok im thinking of getting this head with the line 6 spider 3 cab and will be using the dean fbd ML with it i play lots of very loud gigs with my band but also play with 2 other bands that are blues and new classical and i want to know if this combo will do the job
    pilgrimevan
    slayerfrk wrote: omg this amp is god! **** marshall amps
    I don't think you're that cool bagging on Marshall when your username is Slayer Freak.
    SaintsinneR82
    hell yea i can totally agree with alotta the guys here..if i had the money theres no question that i would grab a dual rect mesa or a peavey but do0d for the dough you cant go wrong...i really like how it sounded with my silverburts equipped a dimebucker and a 59 in the neck...and as far as blowing heads...READ YOUR FUCKIN MANUALS take the time read the manual get the proper cables and play worry free...
    lostinspace138
    I originally bought a Marshall 100 watt HDFX head and that piece of crap totally blew balls.. i cranked that bastard to about 7 or 8 and i never heard my self playing live.... mind you, the places i playing werent big huge places.. small clubs and stuff.. so then i decided i needed something better.....something louder..... so about 2 years ago i went to sam ash and i started fiddling aroud with a small Line 6 amp and i loved the tone, so i said what the hell, if the little amp sounds that good let's see how the guitar head sounds.. i plug in and was totally floored when i cranked that bastard.... i set the volume to about 3 and its 3x as loud as the marshall... i was totally sold, so i bought it the next day... never had a problem since... oh yeah as for the 2 chords.. its in the instruction manual about connecting both to ensure that you dont do damage to the head..... Line 6 rules!!!!
    viper62084
    I got this and the spider III 4x12 cab, and i could care less if its a solid state because 2 reasons; its a modeling amp, so you can ALMOST get an authentic mesa boogie tone from this, and it has so many quality effects (unlike any of the marshall solid states) that you can get a bunch of nice tones just from playing around with them. So if you dont wanna spend 1500+ dollars on a tube amp, get this... because all solid states are basically the same so it comes down to which brand has the best effects; which seems to be Line 6
    guitarest99
    I have had my Spider HD150 for 2 days now and except for the extreme requirements for running speaker cabs its a great amp. I had 2 cabs that with a little requiring they worked fine. A custom 2X12 amp and a older (about 12 years old) Fender 4X12 amp. I would strongly suggest if your going to purchase the head you either have their speaker requirement already accomplished or you will be buying additional cabs or a stereo cab to hear the amp. I have loads of other amps (5150 full stack, 2X Tech21 Combos) and while you should always do what Line6 suggests with balanced I have never had a amp refuse to work if the load is incorrect. My other issue is that neither the amp packaging or Line6 website provides a entire list of all the presets. Don't listen to those who bad mouth this head, for the coin you just can't do any better; period..... Jocko
    Ace628
    you people are stupid. you go on about tone and the hd150 not having any and crap. i just bought a spider III line 6 hd150 it sounds awesome. would i prefer a mesa boogie triple rectifier? **** yeah i would, but i cant exactly afford it. everyone would get tube amps if they were cheap, but they arent. face reality and **** off because everyone can only get those amps after a shitload of saving.
    Dude..i agree 100% There is this spoiled guy at my schools who keeps saying that i should get this $3,000 dollar amp, and that the Spider 3s are crap and blah blah blah, but you know what.. **** that.. I've been using a spider ever since i can remember, and i love the sound. And to everyone who says they blow up and shit, USE TWO CABLES. i mean damn.
    rhys_jacksonrr3
    I think the vox valvetronix XL range is better, better tone, better settings and overall just a better amp for around the same money. I've played on the line6 hd150 and ive got to say i was less than impressed, the distorion was t fuzzy, no clarity, the cleans were to trebaly the effects kind of sucked, just a reallly bad example of an amp. I'm not bashing line6, just look at the vetta series, but the spider series should be avoided like the plague.
    weretarantula
    ranikade3
    no, its not the weirdest thing. Line is not power, its just mid turned all the way down...
    TDAJGuitarist wrote: No...Thats the thing...Its not the cab that blows...Something in the head blows and it goes dead and wont turn back on...Weirdest thing....
    HELLSHREDD
    & i must say , dont believe that TDAJGUITARIST joker cuz line 6 has incredible clean sounds.
    xJohnxAnarchyx
    yeah see. i plan on buying this. though i would rather a tube amp, i can't afford one. and i've seen alot about the hooking both cords up. sounds like a good amp for me. might get it in a year or so.
    slayerfrk
    TDAJGuitarist wrote: DONT GET THIS AMP IF YOU ARE PLAYING SHOWS!!!!! They blow up if you crank it and at a show...you need to crank it...I went through three of these damn things in a total of 5 months....I just switched to a B-52 AT-100 Triple Rectifier with a Digitech Grunge Pedal and a Boss Noise Suppresor...I am in a metal band and that set up works great...I highly recomend it. I will say...The line 6 sounds good and are great for recording, or quiet at home practice, but they cant at all handle loud volume....And dont get it if your looking for clean tones cuz they sound like crap clean.
    maybe its cause ur gay