Spider III HD150 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III HD150

Sure this is a solid state modeling amp and of course it's not going to sound exactly like $3000 Marshall's, Mesa's, and Fender's. The thing is, so what? I've owned all those amps and I'll be happy to stack this baby up there with them. I play heavy blues, hard rock, classic rock, and metal. You can easily navigate your way through all those genres. BTW, I play Epiphone les pauls. One with Duncan SH-6B/SH-2N pickups and the other with GFS alnico II pickups. They both sound really great with this amp. Tone is subjective. I know what I like and I can easily get it from this amp. If you feel that you have to spend $3000 for your tone then by all means have at it.

I love this amp. I got the entire half stack for $649.99 from GC. I feel like that is a great value for what I got. I wish the shortboard wasn't $269 but I found one on eBay for $150 so I saved a few bucks there. It's funny to me when people try to compare this to a Marshall JVM or Mesa triple rec. Only an idiot would do that. Is this as good as those amps at the one thing they do? No, of course not. Are they as good as this amp at the many things this amp can do? No. They're not. The bottom line is that in the class of $650.00 amps you won't find anything as good as this. I tried a $650 Vox Valvetronix and the tone sucked compared to the Spider III half stack.

I like the heavy duty corners on the cabinet and the head. They take a beating when moving these around from place to place but they keep the amp in good shape. The knobs are plastic and the tolex seems a little thin but it's like that on most amps these days. So far I haven't had any problems with this amp and I've had it about 2 years now.

Lot's of features. We all know this. The effects they include are what would normally be rack-mounted effects and sound good enough. Even the built in tuner is nice. Accurate enough. The built-in presets are really cool. A lot of them are just comical or junk but quite a few are really good. When I want to dial in a tone I usually browse through them until I find one that is close then tweak from there. I've used this amp at practice and at clubs as big as 1500 patrons. It's got headroom for all these occasions. If it didn't you can just mic it.

PeterPanKaKe
    KY_GuitarMan wrote: All the dudes bashing the "tone" of this amp are just scrubs who live in their mom's basement and play hondo's. The tone of this amp is what you make of it. I've found every tone I've wanted from the amp and I guarantee you if you blindfolded any of these "experts" they couldn't pick out a $300 Line 6 from a $3000 Marshall.
    Believe me, I could definitely pick out a $3000 Marshall over spider, or any tube amp for that matter. There are even better sounding ss amps out there like the vyper. Dont get me wrong the spiders a good practice/bedroom amp but anything over the 30 watt version is overkill imho. For the kind of money you spend on a spider stack you can get a decent tube amp. I'm not a tube snob or purist as my main rig consists of a PODXT and Atomic amp, I just can't stand people who thing there spider is the best tone on earth.
    Fear3001
    this head is good if you have the line 6 spider III 412 cab because its around 300-400 watts
    Fear3001
    i am going to get this head but can anyone recommend a cabinet to go with it or a website that sells cabinets
    guitargod1965
    Fear 3001 Go with the matching cabinet from line 6. it is very reasonable priced and sounds excellent.
    guitargod1965
    ky_GuitarMan I totally agree with you. These so called tone experts speak as if they have been awarded with some kind of special powers when it comes to "assessing tone". I think that they really should take a leap of faith and move out of mommy and daddy's basement and prepare for a good solid kick in the nuts from captain reality.
    hobbsy_guitar
    hi, would this head be fine with a fender roc pro 4x12 cab? i love line 6 and dont have too much money to spend so im thinking of buying this head. cheers
    djsazer
    JBailey23
    djsazer wrote: hi im new to guitars and amps. i only practice in the bedroom and use a marshall mgdfx 15 watt amp. can this head be used on its own and is it loud. or do i need to get a cab with it. cheers.
    negative....halfstacks are divide into two things, the amp and speakers...your marshall is a "combo" amp meaning it has the amp and speaker together. a halfstack amp such as this is seperate so if you wanted to play the amp through different speakers and visa versa...so to answer you question, you cant use amp heads on their own, you need a speaker cab...and dont listen to haters on here...i have this amp and even though it may not sound the best compared to $2000 dollar amps...its extrememly versatile and will help you find your guitar playing "voice"
    hobbsy_guitar wrote: would this head be fine with a fender roc pro 4x12 cab? i love line 6 and dont have too much money to spend so im thinking of buying this head. cheers
    just make sure the ohms and resistances match up...i'm not an expert on that but you should use this amp on any cab that can handle its power. I felt like being helpful today