Spider III HD150 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III HD150

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: Music Store

The distortion in the Metal and especially in the Insane channel are very brutal. Of course that has to do with my Ibanez with the active pick-ups, like I said, but I also tested ESP pick-ups with the amp and it really works. The distortion is pretty sick. But that doesn't mean that the amp can't go into a good clean-mode. It can, you only need the right boxes and I made a mistake there and bought some cheap ones. Also the amp has a little noise gate and an extra distortion mode which you can activate or deactivate in every channel you saved. The noise gate brings complete silence to the room if you stop the strings and do nothing when you play on a normal loudness-level. But when you're on stage it's not very useful. But who needs that with such a low price? You can go and buy that extra-shit if you need it.

I mainly play Punk and Metal. This amp is perfect for it. I play it for 2 years now and it will still be satisfying in 2 years. I didn't know much about the amp, I bought it online but that really was a lucky one. Never thought about getting something that good for such a price. I would totally buy this thing again, or maybe the Spider Valve VI or another Line 6 modelling amp because they f*cking rule. I don't need much features. I normally only play the Metal, Clean and Crunch amp-models and that's enough. Sounds awesome and what do you want more. My friend got him self a Marshall for the same price. It was an mg-100-whatever-I-don't-know and it really sucks, even though his boxes are better than mine. It's a transistor amp and it could never be as pushing as the Spider III. There's nothing more this amp could have to be more awesome. It is the perfection in my ears and my eyes.

This amp is my one and everything. I only use this one on gigs. I'm using it now for 2 Years every day, and every once in a week at band-rehearsals on a high level. It can't break down or anything so fast because it doesn't have real tubes, it only simulates them. Just perfect.

This amp is so great in so many ways. It's amodeling amp but it simulates the tubes just perfectly. It sounds just as I want my Guitar to sound. I'm using an Ibanez Art-120 BK with active pick-ups and that's totally metal. If you want a Metal or a Punk-Rock amp for pros but you don't have much money, buy a Spider III or Spider Valve IV, they're both gread amps. 6 Different amp-models in 2 different versions. "Insane" kicks a-s, "Metal" can also be Punk or Rock. "Blues", "Clean" and "Twang" are awesome for clean sounds and Rockabilly or Garage/Stoner-Rock stuff and "Crunch" is just perfect for AC/DC. Also it has 6 Effects: Phaser, Chrous, Tremolo, Sweep- and Tape Echoe and of course a Delay. They are useful but everyone knows that if you need effects on a live show you buy an effect-pedal. A Good Reverb is integrated, too. Also many many presets for songs or bands like "Master Of Puppets", "Crazy Train", Slipknot and you can save your own settings. With a good Line 6 pedal you have everything what you need to let your Guitar sound awesome on the stage or in your living room but be careful, that thing can go freaking loud!

MaggaraMarine
    PeterPanKaKe wrote: [quote]KY_GuitarMan wrote: All the dudes bashing the "tone" of this amp are just scrubs who live in their mom's basement and play hondo's. The tone of this amp is what you make of it. I've found every tone I've wanted from the amp and I guarantee you if you blindfolded any of these "experts" they couldn't pick out a $300 Line 6 from a $3000 Marshall.
    Believe me, I could definitely pick out a $3000 Marshall over spider, or any tube amp for that matter. There are even better sounding ss amps out there like the vyper. Dont get me wrong the spiders a good practice/bedroom amp but anything over the 30 watt version is overkill imho. For the kind of money you spend on a spider stack you can get a decent tube amp. I'm not a tube snob or purist as my main rig consists of a PODXT and Atomic amp, I just can't stand people who thing there spider is the best tone on earth.[/quote] This.