Spider III HD150 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III HD150

Purchased from: Pawn shop

I use this amp currently with an Epiphone Dot with humbuckers, and a frankenstrat with 3 single coils. I will be owning a Line 6 Variax 700 soon that models many guitars so I can't wait to try it on this amp. Now, does the amp really sound like the amps they can model? No. That being said, this amps gets really good sounds. You can get a huge variety on this, either using or modifying the existing presets, or making your own. While the amps does not have a "distortion" pedal built in, the distortions you can get off the amp models are excellent. It takes time, but you can get very workable tones from this amp. The "Crunch" setting gets some very realistic Marshall tones, and the Twang And Clean amps on this amp get sparkling clean tones, and you can get a huge variety. The Metal setting has some happening tones and the insane can be fun. The blues amp setting takes a lot of tweaking, and I feel this is the weakest of the modeled amps, but with time and patience you can get happening tones. This amp will handle it all, jazz, rock, metal, pop, power pop, classic rock, 80's etc. You can also db boost the distortions so you could set your amp tone on "A" and set the same amp tone with a boost on "B". There are tons of possibilities. Like I said, it is a solid state amp, not tube, I would be lying if I said it sounded just like a tube amp, but it gets very workable and professional tones, and for a working musician, this amp could be a godsend. Especially in a cover band. In short, this is a loud, versatile amp that would complement most musicians. I am giving it an 8 because it really does not get the "pure" sound of a tube amp or the amps it models. One additional point, this amp sounds excellent at low volumes, something you don't always get in an amp.

For the price I paid for this amp, I thought it was just the head, but no, it was for the half stack. And the amp was in like new condition to boot. I have had many amps, solid state and tube, and I am happy enough with this one, that I don't have to look at any other amps. I play rock/power pop and some blues. I am not a pro musician, but Jam and play with friends every once in a while. I am very happy with this amp, and it easily matches the sound and quality of the Vox modelling amps, and is easily above the Peavey Vypyr models. The many things this amp can do, the overall sound and quality are definitely worth considering. The new ones are Spider IV, so if you can find one of the III's used, snatch it up, you won't be disappointed. The difference between the II's and III's is quite a bit, and while I have tried the IV model, there is not that much difference that would make me want to upgrade. And if I did, I would only need the head, as the cab has stayed the same since the II's.

YouTube preview picture

The amps is sturdy, very sturdy, but knowing it is solid state, and not made in the U.S., I would not recommend bouncing it around. I have had it a year and have had no problems. If you are going to turn the amp up loud, make sure you have the cab plugged in with both speaker cables, it is a stereo amp, you can overload the head and it can blow out. You could use it without a backup, the bigger amps from Line 6 appear to be more durable than the 15 and 30 watt models. Perhaps, it is better structural durability.

Not sure of the year it was made, but I have a Line 6 Spider III HD 150 half stack that I purchased at a pawn shop for $120.00. It is a 150 watt (2x75) stereo head and the cabinet has 4 12in Celestion speaker, that, has two inputs that take one for each side from the head. The amp has 36 presets, 9 banks with 4 each so if set up correctly, you could have a 36 channel amp. The amp is solid state, modeling with 2 distinct amps styles for: clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal and insane. The amp also features chorus, flange, echo, tape echo, tremolo, reverb, and a built in tuner. I have an FBV pedal that lets me go through the a, b, c and d channels. With a shortboard, you can bank up and down among other things. The amp also features a headphone jack, and an input for an mp3 or Ipod.

easy tabs
    i am considering buying this head for my 4x12 rectifier but i know 0 about ohms can someone tell me if they are compatible and will make a good combo? Thhanks!!
    philcorcoran
    For all the purists, and doubters:- I have been playing for over 40 years, been a session musician, played most of the amps out there over the years from Mesa to Marshall and pretty much everything in between, (even the Redmere Soloist). I've used numerous pre-amps, like the Peaveys, Marshalls (JMP-1, 9001), Quad GT etc, etc. I use decent guitars:- Strat, Les Paul, PRS, and still gig today. My amp of choice is a full valve Laney VC50, awesome tone for what I play (rhythm & blues to classic rock), but it's soooo heavy. Instead I've been using a Line 6 spider IV HD150. I've used line 6 floor pods for years, they're amazing if you take the time to dial the sound in properly. It's exactly the same with the amps, take a bit of time dialling the sound in accurately and they sound amazing, almost as good as a valve amp, and there ain't no punter could tell the difference anyway. To the guy who can pick out a $3000 Marshall over a Spider anyday...maybe you've got better hearing than other mere mortals, who knows, I have my own opinion on that, but you can't compare them. It's like comparing a Lambourghini to an Audi, both damn good cars, but different classes.
    Stephawnicus
    I've had mine since I was16 I'm 25 now and its still works great. Been in several bands from death metal to classical and gigged with it fine never blew the head never had an issue besides having to adjust equalizer for the place we jam. Best investment I've made sure has outlasted several guitars and other amps I've had