Spider III HD75 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III HD75

Purchased from: Ken Stanton

I play both my Ltd Viper FM-100 and my Fender Standard Strat through it, and each sounds great. It's also extremely clean, with an incredible, infallible built in noisegate. I jam with other musicians, and they often have to stand far from their amps to avoid feedback, but I can be nearly as loud as it gets and have very minimal extra sound from very close. The cleans stay clean, the heavies stay heavy, and the distortion is my favorite part -- extremely heavy. The only problem is if you get the amp past the halfway mark, and you have a good bit of bass in the mix, it starts to do a weird, undertone sort of growl, but I think that's just that much power going through a 12".

I've been a guitarist of many kinds for nearing 4 years now, and I freaking adore this amp, and the brand as a whole. While not the best Line 6 amp, I give the Spider III HD's a hand for being affordable and versatile, and super high quality. I will always keep this amp, and hope to get it's 150 watt full stack cousin within 2009. The only thing I wish it had is a way to run it into a cabinet so you can get better projection if you need to, but other than that, a damn fine amplifier.

I use this all the time at gigs without backup -- I have dropped it numerous times, and the only damage it has suffered is a single knob (luckily one I never use) was knocked off. It has withstood weather, careless drink spillage, clumsy roadies, and the like, but is still just as good as the day I bought it. Super dependable, just don't leave it in a super cold place, like I did once, or it will have to warm up before it will work right.

I got this amp when it was relatively new, about 3 years ago. First of all, it is one of the most versatile and impressive amps I have ever played out of (and I am one of those Who visit's music stores just to try out new gear). It has four channels, 9 customizable banks, 12 amp models, plenty of effects and nearly limitless customization. I have every one of the 36 channels customized with my specific sounds for my rock/metal band. And the artist and song pre-sets are really fun too, and useful if you're trying to mimic a certain sound. I use this amp on stage in small and medium size venues, and it produces enough sound for anything from a small auditorium to a bedroom practice level. It always sounds great, though not so great through headphones. But the thing that impresses me most is the versatility. It has warm cleans that come very near to an authentic tube tone, and sick over the top distortion that's as heavy as I've ever heard in comprehensible music. From blues to pop to jazz to rock to metal to hardcore to whatever -- awesome amp.

metal105
    all of my track use line6 amps and effects and i've had no problems with em . loads of scope.