Spider IV 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider IV 15

Purchased from: R and B Music

I currently use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with this amp. As i already said it suits any music style. On the clean channel you can play slow nice music or blues such as Dire Straits and Cream. On the Crunch setting you can play AC/DC or other Classic Rock stuff. On Metal, as you can guess you can play Metallica or Megadeth. Insane is the worst thing about the amp, it is probably designed to make as much noise as possible and it is hard to play anything with insane on.

I play Classic Rock or Metal and I get a great sound for both of thos genres with this amp. I have been playing for about 4 years and have owned 1 amp before this, a Vester Maniac and it was not that good, but the Spider is good. I currently use a Epiphone Les Paul with it and it sounds pretty good. I would recommend this amp to anyone as it is a great amp and is a bargain at 90 and the learger version of this amp (Spider IV30) is only 150 and is the same but bigger, louder, and has 6 effects instead of the IV15's 4. My favourite feature is the 4 different channels to suit anyones playing and my least favourite feature would be the Insane channel which just makes a loud irritating noise or the fact that you cannot use any other effects pedals/boards other than the Line6 FBV boards.

I have had it for about a month and it still sounds as good as new but I wouldn't use the amp for a gig as it is too small. I would use the amp in a garage or bedroom while practicing. I had a Vester Maniac amp before this and I must say it broke down all the time but with this amp it is so far so good so I hope it stays like that.

The amp was only released about a month ago (August)and can support literally any type of Music due to it having 4 built in channels, Clean, Crunch, Metal, Insane. It also has 6 effects built in and you can use 2 at the same time if you wish. Chorus Flange, Phaser, Tremolo, Sweep Echo, Tape Echo and Reverb. It is a small amp but very powerful. It is big enough for a bedromm or garage or some small place like that but you can't use it for a gig. You can use headphones in it but you can only use Line6's FBV effects board for it and you can't use any other make of effects such as Jim Dunlop Wah pedals which is disappointing.

ChucklesMginty
    The shortened argument is: they're not as bad as everyone says. But there are much better options in the same category IMO.
    thsrayas
    I played one of these to see if there was much improvement over the Spider IIIs and there isn't much that I could notice. I would still much rather have something like a Vyper than this terribly overpriced amp.
    PuNkRocKeR558
    Well reading all these comments and the review, I'm glad I bought the Spider III instead of IV. Same thing, different button looks is what it seems like. I, personally like Insane mode. But thats on a Spider III, not IV. You just have to know how to use it right.
    liampje
    insane with gain 100% is soundless. I think its cool you can save presets on it.
    In The Mist
    Seref wrote: When one of 4 channels is "unplayable" and "only makes noise," I doubt it deserves a 9 in sound. If 25% of the sound that the amp can make is crap, then you have to start the sound rating from 7.5 and rate the rest from there.
    It's pretty common knowledge that the insane channel is shit. The Metal channel is much more authentic, but it takes a lot more tweaking. At least that's how it is on the spider 75.
    adamlovesbcrich
    I absolutly hate my spider. I own one of these and a Peavey Vypyr. The Vypyr wins hands down. better effects, better tone, louder. (FYI there both 15 watt versions)
    timebomb616
    i use my Spider III 75 watt with my Digitech RP350 all the time.. just set the amp to clean and turn all the eq knobs to the middle. works well for me.
    enselmis
    A side by side comparison would not be helpful, as they are both garbage. The spider IV is the same amp, but with pitch shift, and other useless crap. If it doesnt sound horrible to begin with, piling effects on will certainly push it over the edge.
    hitmansa
    Id like to know if theres any difference between Spider III and S IV thx
    itstheman
    The Spider IV is definitely an improvement, I played the amp for an hour or two at Guitar Center. It's got a fuller, bigger sound, but I still dislike how digital it sounds -- though to untrained ears it will sound great. A good practice amp for a beginner, but after you play bigger and better things you'll never feel right using this to play in the van or anything -- would rather use a Vypyr in that situation.
    hitmansa
    hello, Ive got Spider III 15 n Im satisfied with it....for that Insane channel I play old Linkin Park stuff on it or some Korn Ive got Ibanez RG 321MH so it has nice sound on the Insane and also I use its effects a lot except the Echoes
    lpman101
    I suggest buying the Spider III 15 wat instead of the Spider IV. I own the Spider 3 and have played the Spider 4 at guitar center and there's little to no difference accept price. This is about $100 and the Spider 3 is about $70 if that. The insane channel sounds pretty good on my amp also, its just really distorted (how it should be)
    maleathe
    have a lot of problems with my Spider II amp. Delay and tape echo won't turn off, no matter what I do. Occasionally, when it does work, it sounds nice, though.
    Emoif
    I have a spider III and i use an ''Onerr - FatBoy whammy pedal'' and you dont need a special port on the amp for it. You just connect guitar to pedal using standard cable and pedal to amp also just using a standard Guitar-to-amp cable. To be completely honest i would just buy the Spider III 15 rather than the SpiderIV 15 as its really not that different...
    McBaino
    Well it must be your friends amp thats messed up coz my one is perfect and the phaser is only on if you turn it on so i think he should get a new amp
    Seref
    padgea7x
    I don't know if i'd suggest this amp for anyone, my friend has one and it's messed up. The phaser always stays on (yes ....even when it's off), but i guess it's an ok beginner/practise amp
    mdclay
    Why can't you use any other effects? Just put it on clean and run your guitar chord through a effect box before going into the amp. The effects suck on the amp anyways, but it's nice and loud. Geeze.