Spider IV 15 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Line 6: Spider IV 15

Purchased from: Music Brothers, Shrewsbury

At the moment I am using a Fender Jaguar HH with humbucker pickups. Overall it suits the sound I'm looking for. The 'Insane' distortion sound is extremely heavy, and I prefer to almost all other built in amp distortions. This channel works well with the built in effects, as does the metal channel. The 'crunch' channel isnt really to my liking and I almost never use it, but the clean sound it generally very good and sound brilliant with reverb and delay. On high volumes you do start to get a distorted sound with the clean channel, bu simply changing pickups will get rid of this.

I play basically all the sub genres of rock music, and there is a sound in this amp that can suit a good percentage of them. I have been playing for a few years and this was my first decent amp, but I soon switched to using larger amps with effects processors and stomp boxes. I wish I had asked if the annoying tape echo/ reverb that you can't switch off was permanent. If I had known it was I wouldn't have bought it, its incerdibly annoying. Do not buy this amp if you wish to use it on its own with its effects and channels in a gig, it will Drive you crazy and you will be having to go back and forth to it and back again turning off unwanted effects.

I have never had any problems with it, but I would only use it at a gig at a very last resort. The amp has never broken down and it doesn't look like it will any time soon. Very reliable, strong and durable. If you want to change between the channels easily then you will have too buy the FPV pedal, but this is not very reliable as mine broke after not very long and thats when i decided that i had had enough of this amp and I bought a PA system instead and a Boss ME-70

Features 4 main channels: Clean, Crunch, Metal and Insane. All great sounding if you don't mind the fact that theres an annoying reverb echoe sound that you cant take off unlss you put all the effects on and off again, which isnt very useful for gigs. For easy channel switching i had to buy an FPV pedal which broke after a few months.It has a headphone jack but from my experience it isnt good quality and isnt worth using unless your on a clean sound. I have only used this amp at home and practising with my band, but I haven't and wont use it at gigs because of the annoying effects.

motor03
    Rate the amp low if you don't like the sound but don't rate it low because you can't figure out how to change the presets so the effects don't come on. The presets are set at the factory but you can re-set them easily to any settings you want. If you don't want echo/reverb than reset the channel without echo/reverb. And what about writing that
    and than giving it a rating of 1 for reliability and durability because the fbv pedal broke? Go to the effects review and trash the pedal there.
    bluekirby7
    I like how none of the reviewers mention the fact that it has a noisegate and a gain switch. The default Insane channel on the amp has extra gain and no noise gate. Thats why it sound like crap. Just turn the noise gate on, the gain off, and fix the effects and you have a better amp.
    Csoldier83
    Simply press and hold insane while your booting it up.it will flasht, then go to you original setting.no more pesky Auto effects.do this every time you boot it up
    maggotspawn
    I bought one because I needed something cheap to record a guitar track with for a movie soundtrack. Recorded the Insane channel direct into Cubase, hit it with some VST effects and the $hit sounded great. For around a $100 out the door you really can't complain. It's capable of some decent sounds, great little practice amp.
    Kerry fan1
    i have this amp i like the sound i get out of it but i hate getting so much feedback when i turn the drive up past the 1/4 general area. it almost overpowers the guitars sound with feedback. does any one else have a problem with this or is it a problem with my amp. how can i get a bunch of drive without a bunch of backround eeeee.
    yell0hfrend
    Seref wrote: When one of 4 channels is "unplayable" and "only makes noise," I doubt it deserves a 9 in sound. If 25% of the sound that the amp can make is crap, then you have to start the sound rating from 7.5 and rate the rest from there.
    insane really isn't too bad, it just depends on what you play.
    aaron0405
    will this amp still sound good even when you turn it up loud? will it still sound the same? please reply