Spider IV 15 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Line 6: Spider IV 15

Price paid: € 85

Purchased from: thomann.de

I'm currently using an Ibanez rg350dx, white with a white pickguard (beautiful) with no pedals at the moment. Like I said I play metal mostly, but this amp doesn't have a good distortion for it. The metal channel sounds aceptable, but muddy at high distortion levels and the insane it's unplayable because you can't hear the notes you played with distortion at ten o'clock only. Plus it's really noisy. The crunch channel it's not bad but it could improve a lot at low distortion levels because I wanted a classic rock sound but it can't do it. The clean channel, on the other hand, it's really good, because it sounds defined, and at high volumes it distorts only a little bit. This is the best thing about the amp probably. The effects are good also, especially the chorus flange, but the phaser and the tape echo are also of my liking. The reverb, the sweep echo, and the tremolo are just pasable, because they don't have the sound I'm looking for. It's a pity Line 6 doesn't make good amps.

I've been playing for a year and this was my first amp (I played before with a classical guitar) and I was really disapointed. I tried a frontman at a music store and I thought "I should have bought this". I wish I tried it before, as I purchased it on the internet. I compared it to a Marshall mg 15 and I bought this because of it's features, at least the effects and the clean channel are good. I don't think anyone would steal this but if someone did I would chase him to pay the price. Line 6 will have to improve their distortions if they want me to buy another of their products.

I've owned it for three months and at the moment it has only given my one problem. While I was testing it at high volumes it started doing strange noise, specially on the metal channel, but it doesn't bother me, as I use it for my bedroom. Other than that it's perfect and looks sturdy, which is good, as I will sell it soon. Obviously you can't use it to gig as it's 15 watts.

This amp was made in 2009, it's solid state, 15watts and it has a 8 inch line6 custom design speaker. On the front pannel it has four channel. Clean, crunch, metal and insane, with seven knobs for each one: drive, the EQ (bass, mids, treble), a channel volume, two effect knobs and a master volume knob. The effects are separated as it follows: the first one has chorus flange, phaser and tremolo and the second has sweep echo, tape echo and reverb. You've got your guitar input, a headphones jack, an auxiliary input and a fbv pedal input. This amp can suit allmost all music genres, for home practicing (I use it for that so it's allright). For me it's fine, because I play mostly metal and hard rock, with bits of blues and Dire Straits, so I find myself using allmost everything, specially the clean and metal channels. I wished it had a channel switching pedal but for the price this amp has got many things. It also has some good features, like saving your own presets, a noise gate and a boost for the distortion, to have even more if you like it. At first it looks very good, but it's not.

themelodicdeathshow
    aaron0405 wrote: will this amp still sound good even when you turn it up loud? will it still sound the same? please reply
    It wont sound good at any volume!