Spider IV 15 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Line 6: Spider IV 15

I've played a few guitars through this amp. A crappy start knock-off, a Peavey Predator Plus EXP, an Ibanez RG2EX1, a Schecter 006 Deluxe, and an Ibanez S570B. The S570B had DiMarzio PAF Pro and Super Distortion pickups in it. I'll go through them by channels. Clean: This channel is okay, it does what it needs to do: give you a clean tone. The preset you get out of the box is drowning in chorus though. I use a tiny bit of chorus, and it sounds okay. Don't expect Fender chimey-ness though. Crunch: I don't really like this setting. It's okay for some blues and I was able to get a faux-Hendrix kind of tone, but it lacks the overdrive that I was hoping to get. The sound is more soggy than crunchy. Metal: I use this preset the most. I have it EQ'ed to get a decent lead tone. This channel kind of reminds me of early Metallica tone, very trebly without much bass. I was satisfied with this channel, it sounds good with some tape echo as well. Insane: I used to like this channel, but now I don't. It's way too bassy and muddy. I don't mind the extreme amount of gain, but I can't get that great of a sound from it. It's okay for a mock nu-metal tone. This thing sounds like shit when you crank it past halfway. It really is only suitable for bedroom levels. I don't think it would be able to handle a Jam situation. The effects are okay, but they're not very dynamic, and are a little too powerful (you can either have no phaser or too much of it). This amplifier does what it says it will do, but seeing how I only want to use half of the channels, Line 6 could have done a bit better fine tuning them. Comparing this with other modelling amps of the same price I was pretty disappointed.

I play metal, blues, and shred. This amp can do all of those on a very basic level. This is a mere practice amp and nothing else. I've been playing about a year (don't use that against me please) and also own a Randall RG200G3+ which I would consider a huge step up from this amplifier (though the Randall has some issues of its own). I wish I had asked to see other modelling amplifiers of the same price before I bought this one. I was a guitar noob who got suckered into Line 6 by a GC employee (go figure). I played a Peavey Vypyr 15 the other day and was much more impressed by that amplifier than this one. If this amp were lost or stolen I'd probably buy that one. This amplifier is just okay. For $100 I can't complain too much, but on the other hand you can do a lot better for $100 too. If you have this amplifier then you probably agree with me, but if you're looking to buy a cheap modelling amp I'd look at other brands.

This thing broke on me last month. The gain channels cut volume in half after 30 seconds of playing, and now I have to keep pressing the channel button in order to fix that problem. Other than that it's pretty solid and is built fairly sturdy. I think I got a lemon, but if I hadn't I feel like it would last a good amount of time. Just keep in mind that these products are hit and miss.

My ratings are not meant to be compared to those of a $2,000 tube head. The ratings reflect upon the value and quality of what you get for less than $100. I bought this amp in August 2010. 15 watts solid state 1x8" custom speaker Create, save and recall 4 complete amp settings with the push of a button Bass, Mid and Treble knobs Drive knob, Channel volume, Master volume Direct-recording output Four dialed in amp models: Clean, Crunch, Metal, Insane Six Smart FX (2 at once) modeled after celebrated stompbox and studio effects; Chorus/Flange, Phaser, Tremolo, Tape and Sweep Echoes, and syrupy Reverb; Tap Tempo syncs all time-based effects Drive knob; Channel volume; Master volume Built-in tuner 1/4-inch input; 1/4-inch headphone/direct output; 1/8-inch CD/MP3 input; FBV jack It pretty much covers all of your bases. I was satisfied with the amount of effects and channels I was given. I also like the ability to save my presets. I didn't buy the FBV pedal for this so I can't comment on that. I wish it had some kind of looper, but perhaps that's too much to ask from an amp this cheap. Overall, the amplifier does a good job at giving you what you need. However, I think I could have gotten a bit more in terms of effects.

H377F1R3
    Heideck
    H377F1R3 : Man, im reakky sick of people saying that the spider iv sucks just get a tube or get a vyper. sounds on a amp is 100% opinion. there is no this is good and this is bad the only thing that is fact is whether or not the sound has tonal definition. ive played tubes and solid states s i know the difference. yes tube has its pros like a warm sound and all that noise but a solid state amp for $100, i think its a great deal and u get good for the price if u like the line 6 sound. sorry if this sounds like a rant i just hate when people just say it sucks for no reason other than the way it sounds and that is a valid reason but put that it sucks because you dont like the sound not just because "it sucks." thats not a valid reason. im not trying to trool i just needed to vent.
    completly agreeing with you