Spider IV 15 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Line 6: Spider IV 15

Price paid: € 98

Purchased from: Thomann.de

I was playing through this with an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. The amp generally sounded terrible on the clean channel, but this was due to the guitar's bridge humbucker; it only sounded passable when playing with both the bridge and neck pickup. With this setup it was IMPOSSIBLE to play ska and reggae, though I could get an average jazz tone. Also, the channel clipped at times. The crunch channel was awful as it sounded terribly artificial and too bassy; even the EQ knobs didn't help! The metal channel is the best, but is still only average; like the crunch channel, it sounds too digital. The last, and in this case the least, is the "insane" channel; it's a joke! It's noisy and sounds like garbage; who in the right mind would play music with this channel?! A variety of sounds is possible. Unfortunately, they're all average or terrible.

I play all sorts of music; reggae, ska, punk, rock, blues, jazz etc and this is a bad match for all of them. I've been playing for nearly 5 years and I own a Fender Stratocaster, a Behringer X V-AMP which I play through headphones for the time being, and some other bits. I have that Squier SP-10 practice amp, which is actually better that the Spider. If it was stolen, I would actually thank the thief; I would have insured it beforehand, enabling me to buy something better. I love nothing about this amp. The metal channel is passable, that's all.

The hardware was durable enough for me to depend on it. That said, I'd never use it at a gig unless I wanted to come across as insane. The only breakage was the auxiliary jack, which came right out when I removed a cable.

The only reason I bought this amp was due to the features advertised; 4 channels (clean, crunch, metal and "insane"), 6 effects (reverb, tape echo, sweep echo, tremolo, chorus/flange, phaser), headphones/recording output, auxiliary input, tuner and footswitch compatibility. At 15 watts, it was loud enough for practising in my flat. Does this mean that it sounded good? Read on...