Spider IV 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider IV 15

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar

I use a Epiphone LP100 with HOT Open Alnico V humbucker pickups. I normally turn into treble for loud sound production but rhythm is good for clean and blues. My personal favourite is metal and this amp is perfect as the Drive can be put to maximum for a great distortion. The difference between metal and insane channel is that insane is a more controlled distorted noise while keeping the metal distortion with it, it also adds reverb onto it which gives it a great effect and is a great example to play with Diamond Head's "Am I Evil". Clean channel is very varied as you can mix the tone up with either Tape Echo and Sweep Echo as Sweep Echo has this crazy little sound at the end of a note and tape echo sounds like something that would be on a record. Crunch is a great channel for soft or hard rock depending on the amount of drive, Crunch is good for AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard and so on. I don't know whehter it is just my amp or if it is any body else's Spider IV amp too but when I put the channel volume and the master volume on without the amp actually being switched on and when I Switch it on the amp will go way above the channel volume and the master volume and it's not my guitar knobs/pickup volume controls also when changing channels you might have to put down the channel volume and the master volume because the amp will just go way above the designated volume amount. The clean channel does not get distorted at high volumes. The distortion can be very brutal depending on the channel and amount of drive. If you have metal channel with full Drive it's pretty fukin awesome.

Metal is a good match, Soft/Hard rock is a good match but for Blues I would choose another amp or buy a blues pedal for it as it does not push the limits. Been playing about a year now and I own a Squier Junior Acoustic guitar and a Elevation classical guitar. Not really, maybe a demonstration about the settings and what matches each channel but that comes in time. I would defiantly buy this amp without any doubt. I love how the amp has the great metal factor on it, it owns! I hate how the volume situation is a bit of a mess. My favourtie feature is the reverb, it's like as if your playing in a stadium. My friend told me, this is the amp to get, it's well worth saving up for and I can tell you know that was such a awesome decision. I did compare it to a 20 Marshall amp and I thought screw that! I chose this amp because it had the effects, channels and the price on this was very good aswell! A better handle as it is a bit tight and small.

I can depend on this amp although I would have to be careful when switching channels and I would have to make sure all the settings are correct also I would have to be careful when turning the amp on that the channel volume and the master volume are lowest possible. The amp has never broken down.

Amp made in 2009. Very versatile. From a great blues, soft rock, hard rock to metal! 4 channels (Clean, Crunch, Metal, Insane). Doesn't have channel switching, does have a headphone jack and does not have effect loops. I never use the phaser because it just sounds silly but that's just my opinion. The amp can go very loud so yeah it has enough power, also the Drive can be changed for each channel for the sounds. for example, if you put it on metal channel and put the Drive down to lowest possible it will have a cleaner sound with a touch of distortion. The great Line 6 logo at the front, a tight handle to make sure you don't drop the amp, an indicating light which tells you whether the amp is on or off and lots of labels telling you where everything is which I find very helpful.

nikh158
    I`ve got one of these, and while it`s ok for the price, it isn`t really much good at all. The clean tone is horrible, crunch is OK, metal is passable and insane is just a wall of fuzz. And the FBV pedal must have the worst wah-wah effect ever invented.
    MaggaraMarine
    H377F1R3 wrote: Man, im reakky sick of people saying that the spider iv sucks just get a tube or get a vyper. sounds on a amp is 100% opinion. there is no this is good and this is bad the only thing that is fact is whether or not the sound has tonal definition. ive played tubes and solid states s i know the difference. yes tube has its pros like a warm sound and all that noise but a solid state amp for $100, i think its a great deal and u get good for the price if u like the line 6 sound. sorry if this sounds like a rant i just hate when people just say it sucks for no reason other than the way it sounds and that is a valid reason but put that it sucks because you dont like the sound not just because "it sucks." thats not a valid reason. im not trying to trool i just needed to vent.
    But you can find better amps than Spiders for that price. Buy a Roland Cube, it's better. It's not so noisy and it doesn't have that "insane" sound which is even noisier. Cube doesn't sound so digital, I like its Marshall sound. Line 6 clean is a bit better though. With some chorus it sounds very nice. I like my Roland's clean, too. (I don't use any other amps than the Classic Stack any more. I just turn the gain down and there's the clean sound.)