Spider IV 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider IV 15

Price paid: € 160

Purchased from: Filipos Nakas

I have a Yamaha Pacifica and I use it for blues solos and rarely rhythm guitar. I have done 3 gigs with it and it hasn't let me down although other a--holes show off with their more expensive amps which is rather frustrating at times. I have noticed that when I'm jamming in my room my girlfriend may turn on the light in the other side of the house and the sound flickers. This probably is due to the sh-ttiness of the house though. don't PUT A MIC NEAR IT. Unless you wanna either kill yourself or give up music and become deaf. Make sure you don't use it with a mic because it sounds shit. Really. *GREAT FOR JAMMING with bandmates. *ok for gigs although as I said a 75er is more suitable. It's volume perfection limit is until the half way point... After that it becomes muddy and rubbish. Don't turn it up with headphones on, they will blow.

I'm no Jimi Hendrix but I have been playing for 5 years. I have no problem with the amp. I love it and If you are a beginner you should definitely consider buying one as your first amp. I would be devastated if it were stolen. Although I would move on and buy a 75er since I am now experienced in guitar and not a beginner. If you dig the sound I like, stick to crunch. Peace.

Yes, I would use this in a gig. The amp has never broken down. Just keep it clean and dust free and it should last forever. Great amp always reliable and for me still is like it was when it was new. Of course you should treat it with care and love otherwise you might as well have a 2nd hand piece of shit from the car boot. Never needed a service and because of the way it is made with plastic padding on all corners VERY TOUGH. But again I state treat with care. Don't be a daredevil. Keep your wires away from the inside of the amp. Don't tuck them away for practicality.

I believe this amp was made in 2009, either way I bought it in 2009. This amplifier is relatively reliable and has always been for me. I generally play blues, classic rock, rock, jazz, rock and roll and psychedelic rock. This amp is passable for all these types of music as it has a wide variety of sounds. There are 4 channels and 6 effects. I am often found in my bedroom with my headphones on practicing and I have to say, this amp sounds brilliant through headphones. I hardly use metal and hate insane. Those two channels might as well not be there. Waste of space. But then again I'm not interested in the music that consists of such sound. Crunch is fantastic and really snappy and reminds me of the sounds of the SRV and Hendrix. Clean is good for soft rock and such, another good channel although I don't really use it as much as crunch. This amp is probably one of the best deals out there for the money although if you want something for gigs you're better off with a 75er. Sounds great with a Vox V847.

1neeto
    Bought this amp for my son and I think some people here need to spend some time tweaking the amp for better sound. My son lives the insane channel and it doesn't sound too bad with a Jackson KV with stock CVR humbuckers, mainly the neck. I like the crunch channel, set the drive at around 12 I clock and you'll get a very nice 70's tone like Opeth's Heritage tone. Metal just set the mid at 9, treble all the way and bass at 3 and it sounds very similar to Dimebag's sound and 80's Metallica/Megadeth. On insane just drop d the guitar and try some lamb of god riffs, sounds pretty damn cool. The clean channel sounds good but like someone else mentioned, you can't get a full clean tone because even with the effects off, you still get that tape echo that can be annoying. And last but not least, this amp is what it is. A $100 practice amp, I would not carry it past my bedroom or basement, it's barely loud enough to play over drums. I would laugh at anyone who would show up at a gig with this thing. 15 watts is not exactly gig material!
    jordo246
    can someone help me, sometimes the amp will sound really good, then I'll go and comeback to it and for some reason all the channels just sounds really muddy, I've made sure it's not me forgetting to save the settings because I did that, it just changes on its on own randomly, any help?