Spider IV 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider IV 15

Purchased from: Best Buy - Anchorage, AK

I am using a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro 2009 with stock pickups. I either use my pedal board, or straight to the amp, depending on what I am looking for in sound. The clean channel is clear, but also heavy in the mids and bass. The crunch channel, is very heavy in bass when playing aggressively. In my opinion, since I play rock, and metal, the two better sound channels are the Metal and Insane channels. The Insane channel is a little treble heavy, but its so you can get a screaming solo. For the rhythm parts, the Metal channel is perfect. I use this amp mainly for metal and some clean sounds, but for clean and crunch I use other amps. With the effects on amp, one could achieve a sound similar to one of Buckethead's songs where it sounds like Jordan in the beginning. Kind of something cool to mess around with. The amp can be turned up to medium volumes and play pretty loud. For where I live and and how big my place is, I don't have to crank the amp all the way up to achieve a loud sound. The distortion is pretty heavy, I would defiantly gig with another amp just for a selection of sounds. If I were to play metal the whole night, then this would be my amp of choice. I could either use my pedal board, or straight into the amp.

I play metal, and rock, but I noodle with different styles. This amp meets my metal needs pretty well. I have been playing for 2 years, and been using this amp for about 4 months. If this amp was lost or stolen, I would probably look for a different amp, or get a better Line6 amp. I love that this amp is really powerful but I don't like that its not very responsive to my picking velocity. Compared to my Marshall MG15HFX, its heavier, but for other styles I would use the Marshall or Fender. I wish I had the footswitch so I could quickly and easily switch channels. Overall, this is a good beginner amp, and decent metal amp. I wouldn't drop the amp, and don't stand on it. Buy as you wish.

Well, for anything I buy, and use constantly, I try not to drop it, or kick it, or abuse it in any way. The box seems well put together, but I wouldn't drop it from anything higher than 2 feet. Don't crash anything into the knobs, or they might break off. I haven't had that luck yet. The front speaker screen is pretty tough, but then again, I wouldn't kick the amp, or stab it with scissors. The amp is an open back amp, so be careful with things in the back of the amp.

The Line6 Spider IV 15w amplifier is decently equipped with features for being a cheaper smaller amp. It comes with 4 channels, Clean Crunch (Overdrive), Metal, and Insane. There is two effects knobs, each with atleast 3 effects each. For each of the effects, there is a "range" selection, which automatically chooses the subtly of the effect. One of the effect knobs is a modulation effect, and the other is a delay effect. The mod knob contains: Flanger/Chorus, Phaser, and Tremelo. The delay knob contains: Sweep Echo, Tape Echo, and Reverb. The speed of the effects are controlled by the Tap button. Press this button with the desired effect selected and you will see the LED blink at the speed of which you pressed the button. Each channel has its own Treble, Mids, Bass, Gain, and Channel Volume knobs. The effects and tone settings can be programmed into each channel. Simply set the desired tone and effects, then press and hold the channel button, let the LEDs blink, and you have stored your channel setting. The amp has a slot for a footswitch pedal, I haven't got it yet. It also comes with a 3/8's input jack for MP3 players or other devices you can hook up to the amp. The volume for the input jack is controlled by the Master Volume. The 1/4 output jack, when used, turns off the speaker allowing use of headphones or it can be plugged into a computer recording preamp. I mainly use this amp for practice and noodling in my room, and for really heavy parts. The sound is explained in the next section.

mydian
    It's funny how many people hate on this amp. It's nothing to write home about but there are much much worse amps out there. My Peavy Rage for example.. horrible amp!
    rv_phoenix
    jfitch832
    Kenjisan231
    jfitch832 wrote: Good starter amp. Clean channel doesn't sound great. Insane and Metal are pretty good, just got to tweak it a little. I like the last line of the first review, "I wouldn't drop the amp". Good call bud.
    BBE Sonic stomp makes the cleans on this a lot better. Worth getting regardless if you plan to keep the Spider or not.
    MAGGOTCFH
    There is no such thing as a bad or good amp. Theres only a such thing as an amp that fits you or an amp that doesnt fit you
    MAGGOTCFH
    You probablly need to learn how to use modeling amps.
    MaggaraMarine
    MAGGOTCFH wrote: rv_phoenix wrote: Just another useless modelling crap. It sounds so terrible, I can't imagine how someone could actually play on this. But perhaps imagination is a huge force: it makes people "hear" things that don't exist. You probablly need to learn how to use modeling amps.
    Modeling amps lack the "character." They sound boring and Line 6 Spider is one of those amps. I mean, there are better modelers, Spider is one of the worst I have tried. When you turn it up, it hurts your ears. I haven't heard of any other amp that could do the same. It has some high frequencies that no other amp has. Spiders are OK for practice. But for anything else... just meh.
    Maineguitarist
    Spinningbirdk!c wrote: I'm actually convinced that the MH 500 is the worst solid state amp ever. I don't know how many different EQ settings I tried it always sounded the same. Terrible lol
    Trust me. It's not. The sp10 is the worst.
    MTLRO
    Hi there My guitar is Fender Squier Stratocaster Bullet Strat, I also use a Boss OS 2 pedal. Can I have a good sound with that guitar and the line 6 spider IV 15? (im thinking in buying one) Also,can I use my pedal with that amp ?
    Semperfidelis23
    Peveay vypyrs are so much better. Tried both the spider and the vypyr 15 watt models back to back at guitar center, and I found that even for a beginner, the vypyr is not that difficult to understand, provided you have common sense..... It does take some tweaking from the factory presets, but I had four fairly good channels saved at the store after about 30 minutes. The spider has terrible factory presets, unless your used to a 7 watt amp. The spider is easier to understand, but only because it has fewer settings and editItable parameters. The Spiders effects are sub- par as well, and if I remeber correctly, you can't edit the effect parameters. You can on the vypyr, which is useful for me, since I play a lot of early 80s judas priest, and as far as I can figure out, they use a tiny bit of chorus. Also, the vypyr has 12 different salable channels, where as the spider has 4. Now, both of these amps are no replacement for a good tube stack, but For a bedroom, backstage, small gig, etc. the vypyr takes the cake. I bought the 15 watt, and it entertained me for hours! And for a 15 watt amp, its pretty loud. Seriously though, do not buy a line 6 spider. If you have $100 dollars and you want a digital modeling amp, buy a peavey vypyr.