Spider IV 30 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider IV 30

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: long & McQuade

I am using this amp with a strat with single coils. It is very versatile for all music styles and I can adjust the distortion to whatever I feel like. It has several distortion/overdrive levels. It has Blues od/dist. Crunch od/dist. Metal od/dist and Insane od/dist. It also has two different clean chanells and two different "twang" channels. The clean is too clean for me and insane it too dirty, but that's just my opinion. And it has the whole spectrum of sounds so you can tailor it to your wishes. It also has six different effects. They are in groups of three. There is Phaser, chorus, and tremollo in one group, and tape delay, digital delay and sweep echo in the other group. You can tailor the fx and dist. To your tastes and then program them onto each channel. It also comes with an option of two foot pedals, a scroll right/left one for 40$ or a 4 button and wah/volume pedal for 140$. The only problem I have with it is the buzz caused by my single coils but that's the price you pay.

I play blues and rock and this amp matches these all well. If this amp were stolen or lost I probably would not buy it again if I could afford something more specific to my tastes like a Fender bandmaster but otherwise I would definitively buy it again. Maybe even a louder more powerful one like the 75watt. I can compare this amp to the Vox valvetronix ac30 and it sounds the same, if not better. I wish it had a post EQ noise reducer for the strat singlecoil buzz but otherwise it rocks!

I can totally depend on this amp. The only problems that I had so far are with my cables and that was my fault. I gig with it without a backup and it is pretty solid so I don't think that it will break on me anytime soon. It is a great solid-state amp and it is extremely reliable.

This amp is a brand new 2009 model. It has 4 channels, and a built in tuner as well as several different distortion settings and effects. I play mostly rock and some blues and this amp is well suited for this. I use this amp for practice and gigging. I recently played in front of my school in our big double gym and I set the volume at around 4 or 5 and people at the far back could hear it, even with the bass and drums hooked up through the P.A. system. It is very reliable and has not failed me yet.

J.J.G.
    HeartOnSleeve wrote: no dude. i just got this amp for christmas, and my god, its a beast. mine cost 200 and its worth every penny. it doesnt even need the extra add ons, even though they might help.
    wait you received it yesterday and you are already saying it is a beast? i dont know how i can argument against that. seriously.
    chaos13
    if youve got a strat you should be able to use the pickup selector to almost completely eliminate the buzz.
    catman231
    Yes why can I not argument against it. Why is it I cannot use correct grammar?
    HeartOnSleeve
    joshmckinnon
    i do use the pickup selector to get rid of the buzz but i like to use my bridge pickup more than the rest. and i have had this amp for a while and i find that it suits my style completely. And it was three hundred dollars CANADIAN back when our dollar was really only 80-85 cents american so it was really only 240 dollars american. good tone, cheap. and loud. i like it.
    motox13ds
    I am new to the guitar scene, bought this amp with an epi vintage g-400 from GC. I honestly had no problems with this amp, but did not know much about them either. After reading and taking advice from the guys on here, I exchanged it for the Peavey Vypyr 30 within my 30 days, so it cost me nothing extra. The Vypyr blows this out of the water. More options, sounds better, and its the same price. For that reason, I would not recommend this amp.
    RCG301
    I tried this Amp for about a hour, if you are into Heavy Metal forget this Amp it just won't do it, you can't even got a good mute with the 5th and 6th strings with this amp even on the insane setting, the Clean, Twang and the Blues settings are pretty good. The Spider 3 I think is a much better Amp especially if you are into Heavy Metal Music.
    Patrijz
    megadeth52 wrote: i cant figure out how to use the built in tuner
    what part of 'hold this button for tuner' don't you understand?