Spider IV 30 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Line 6: Spider IV 30

I have a Schecter Damien-6. I changed the pickups to Seymour Duncan Distortion's. I play metal, metalcore, deathcore, and love to mess around with blues. The amp is never noisy, since it has an on board noise gate. The amp has 12 different sounds, none of which pleased me though. The cleans were okay. But not spectacular. The blues channel was useless to me because I used the clean channel with a little bit of grot for that. The crunch channel sounded absolutely terrible. Couldnt get that good ol' Marshall crunch sound out of it. The metal red channel is ehhh. No 6505, 5150, or Dual Rec. But somewhat tolerable. The metal green is useless since the mids sound terrible if you have the knob at anywhere other than 12'0'clock. The insane channels suck. Too much gain. The green insane channel had a weird fart-ish sound whenever I palm muted and chugged a little. Since it's a 3/4 closed back cab, high gain channels sound kind of blah.

I hate it now. Once I got a 6505+ (I'll be getting a mesa recto cab soon, can't wait!) I haven't really touched it except to take it apart. It sounds terrible. I've played for 3 years, but I'm a gear head and I'm obbsessed with getting new gear. Over all, if you're learning to play guitar and are trying to find what genre you want to play and stick with, this isnt a bad amp. But if you like to sound good, it is. I hated the sound. I cringe when I go to local shows and i see kids with spider heads and cabs. It's terrible.

Hasn't broken or not worked ever. I wouldn't use it at a gig since it's only 30 watts. Pretty reliable due to the fact its solid state. Construction isnt the best, though. I can't see it lasting a lot longer. It probably wont work in 10-20 years. They don't make stuff like they used to.

The amp was probably made in 09. The amp is pretty versatile (even though not every sound you get out of it is enjoyable). It has 12 different sounds and 4 progamable user preset channels. No effects loop. It does have a headphone jack. Its got a whole bunch of on board of efects. Chorus flange, phaser, tremolo, delay, sweep echo, tape echo, and good ol' reverp. All of which sound terrible. I used it for practice and to try to play over a drummer once. It didn't have enough power to get over a drummer and still sound good. It is solid state.

ObtainedPenguin
    i love this amp! ive used both the spider III and now the spiderIV and this is by far one of the best amps ive ever owned... only problem i have is with distortion pedals as it doesnt sound right when switching from clean to distorted via pedal. other than that this is a great amp and i will forever use line 6 as my choice amp for gigs and practice...
    Seref
    Compared to the Peavey Vypyr, the new Roland Cube XL, the new Vox VTs, and the new Fender Mustang, the Spider IV is easily the worst of the current-gen big name practice modelers.
    Twistedrock
    rv_phoenix, only tube amps perform better when you push them closer to their maximum output.
    MarkWakefield
    rv_phoenix
    MarkWakefield wrote: I have the Spider IV 120 and its a beaut so this one must be good, just a little quieter.
    Sorry, this one above was for you.
    longneckdude
    I don't know how anyone could say these are reliable amps. My friend had one and the not on the input jack is cheap plastic that would always come loose. It eventually became stripped and would slip inside the amp every so often an I would have to unscrew the whole thing just to fish it out. Definitely not worth the money.
    popeslayer
    This amp is fine, I've owned the halfstack for over a year and had no problems with it at all. I listen to everything from death metal to jam bands and I love the diversity this amp gives me.
    jesslindy
    I shouldn't even be commenting on this since I have not played the 30watt. I have the IV HD150 head and cab. Its differences are the stand alone reverb, and obviously the wattage. I have been playing guitar for 15 years. Im 32 years old. I can get any sound out of my amp I want. All my friends want my amp. My buddy who I jam with all the time has a peavy vyper 75 watt and wishes he had mine. When he leaves the vyper at my house I play on it all the time. I dont like it as well as my line 6. Hes had his for 2 yaers longer than me so Ive had much more opportunity to use his. You just have to play with your settings. They are all customizable. Every effect can be set differently. For example the delay when not messed with can be very choppy. The delay is set too far apart. I use my delay just to get some drive, so the factory setting had my notes playing over and over again for a minute. I changed it, now it rocks. The spider IV is 20 times better than the 3 as far as tone. I played the III's and I hated them. Line 6 did something with the IV, and I get badass tones with it. Just takes ALOT of time to mess with them to perfect them. So, I'd rather have the diversity of tones, knowing I can effect them any way I like, than spending $1000 on pedals to find the tone and pedal setup that I want.
    rv_phoenix
    All amps perform better when you push them to the limit (after 10 year of playing on a Vox, I know what I mean). Most of the good solid states - and I'm only interested in good equipment - have an emulation circuitry which mimicks the behaviour of an all-tube amp. Even those who don't have one (try the Vox Pathfinder 10 and 15, for your own pleasure) work much beter cranked up than at 1/3 of their volume. I kinda understand your frusration (because, if you're good, you know you don't own a professional amp, not even a semi-pro), but unfortunately choosing a modelling amp means paying for useless extra-features, while choosing a Line 6 means only paying more than you pay for a common modelling amp. It's one of the best of this kind, no question about it. But it still remains a toy, compared to a HiWatt, a Carl Martin or a Laboga of the same output. Even a Kustom HV 65, with the same useless DSP features, sounds better and costs less.