Spider IV 30 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider IV 30

Purchased from: PMT Bristol

When playing with my band, I use an Ibanez SA260FM, with a HSS set up, and rack up some distortion. This sounds great, works really well for practices, but could do with being a little louder. I also use an SG (twin humbuckers) and my custom stratocaster (HSS) these also work very well for all other genres. I play hardcore with the band but also play lots of ska and Indie for fun, and the amps cleaner setting work great. The feedback can be a bit of a problem, but can be solve by turning down the Drive a little, otherwise the squeals can be pretty deafening. The various range of styles this amp can cover is very impressive, and I would recommend this to anyone, but especially metal heads.

This amp is great for everything I play, and the versatility of it is unrivaled in my opinion, it saves me having to have a couple of amps to get the sound I want. To be honest, I wish I got a more powerful amp, to get louder when playing with my band, however for personal use it is fine; and more than enough for a practice amp. If it were stolen or lost, I would definately buy a Line 6 spider, but I might possibly get another model, just to shake it up, and definitely get one 75w+. I love its 3.5 mm jack slot, that is VERY useful, and I occasionally use it at parties and such. This amp is a bargain and definately worth the buy, but consider something louder, its my only fault with it.

It is very reliable, I travel a lot with it and it hasn't broken down on me yet. I wouldn't gig with it, as 30w just isn't loud enough, but if it were louder I wouldn't have a problem with gigging with it. Reliability is not an issue for it.

The Amp is very versatile, with 12 different preset distortion options covering most genres pretty well, and 4 custom channels that can be saved for easier access. It comes with various delay effects and phaser based effects, but in honesty I rarely use them, preferring a less "gimmicky" sound from my amp, but that's just personal preference. One of the best features this amp has is a slot for a 3.5 mm jack, meaning with a male to male lead you can play your music through your ipod on this amp, this sounds fantastic and goes pretty loud. It also has a headphone slot which is also useful. I use this for practicing both with and without the band, but I would not use it for gigging, if it was a bit more powerful sure, but 30w is not enough for an event.