Spider IV 30 review by Line 6

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 8
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Features: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9 Superb
  • Users' score: 5.5 (143 votes)
Line 6: Spider IV 30
0

Price paid: € 190

Purchased from: Rock'n'Roll Katowice

Sound — 8
I play the Brian May Guitars Red Special. It has 3 Burns Tri-Sonic, which are single coils. It suits my music style almost perfectly, I only have trouble while playing Jimi Hendrix. I simply can't get the sound right. I found really nice settings to do the solos and to do the AC/DC kind of music. The amp is really versatile and does great job. I have comparison, since I played also the Epiphone Les Paul Standard through this amp. It also fitted really great. In my opinion, one of better sounding solid state amps.

Overall Impression — 9
I play classic rock like Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix or Rush and it's really a good match. I've been playing for over 3 years but I've got an electric guitar for 8 months. I have a Brian May Guitars Red Special and a Vox Pathfinder 10. If it were stolen I would buy it again or get a tube amp. The greatest thing about this amp is the versatility. The worst is in my opinion the built-in tuner which isn't really clear for me. I compared it to the Laney Prism P20 and Vox DA20. I chose this one because it had more power and sounded just as good.

Reliability & Durability — 10
The whole thing looks pretty solid. I have the amp for 8 months and I've had no problems with it what'soever. I would use it on a gig without backup. It has fallen quite often and I sat on it when my strap broke and it looks brand new. It's unbelievably reliable.

Features — 9
I bought this amp in December 2010. It's my first amp, cause I've played the classical guitar before. I play classic rock. Something like Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles or Jimi Hendrix. The amp has 12 different amp models and four user preset channels. The sounds are: clean red/green, twang red/green, blues red/green, crunch red/green, metal red/green and insane red/green. It has a headphone jack output and no effects loop. The amp has a whole bunch of effects: flanger/chorus, phaser, tremolo, delay, tape echo, sweep echo and reverb. I never use the tremolo so I can't tell how does it sound. But the other effects are pretty good, especially reverb and delay. The amp has 30 watts, what is enough for me, since I'm more a singer than a guitarist. But my friend used it and it was perfect for the gig.

9 comments sorted by best / new / date

    themelodicdeathshow
    jetfuel495 m : To be frank, the small versions of these amps do sound pretty bad. But the bigger ones, played at louder volumes, and LOW GAIN (I cannot stress this enough, anything past the mid point on the gain knob sounds like poo) aren't so bad. Heck, the Spider tube amp was pretty decent for the price. POSTED: 04/14/2011 - 03:16 pm / quote | DiaryOfJane : I don't know about the Spider IVs, but I had a Spider III - it broke... then I bought a Peavey Vypyr. Much Better amp. POSTED: 04/14/2011 - 05:39 pm / quote | megadethfan 666 : i have one and it sounds great POSTED: 04/14/2011 - 06:54 pm / quote | telebuckley : To be honest, I was going to get this amp, but after a play around, I strongly suggest the Roland 40XL over this amp, 10 more watts, power squeezer, on a lower volume the the Line 6 has a nicer clean tone but the Roland can actually handle some actual gain. Not to mention the built in effects are just epic POSTED: 04/15/2011 - 09:49 pm / quote | wrote: To be frank, the small versions of these amps do sound pretty bad. But the bigger ones, played at louder volumes, and LOW GAIN (I cannot stress this enough, anything past the mid point on the gain knob sounds like poo) aren't so bad. Heck, the Spider tube amp was pretty decent for the price.
    The spider valves are insanley overpriced how do you in any way see them as decent for the price lol.
    dirtfoot
    All the reviewers and everyone here excluding the messenger is a f#7k'n moron.
    Adam124
    feathers632 wrote: A friend of mine bought a Line-6 product. The next day I set fire to his house.
    Line 6 make some fantastic products. Don't jump on the bandwagon because of the spider you ignorant fool..
    mydian
    feathers632 wrote: A friend of mine bought a Line-6 product. The next day I set fire to his house.
    Quit being a troll. Spiders make suck but Line 6 makes lots of good products. POD-UX2 for example.
    Its the Kyle
    I've got a Spider IV 15 watt, It's a hell of a lot louder than my Lead Guitarist's Marshall 10 watt and has got a lot beastier and fuller tone...as long as you keep it on metal or insane. The 15watt has only Clean, Crunch (which serves well for punk/grunge, but really gives that nice, muddy tone for rhythm-blues playing), Metal and Insane. The riffs that I belt out have so much power and throw themselves around like a Firetruck....yet when I try to solo it always sounds thin and empty, absolutely no tonal capacity at all. No guitar, from an SX strat-a-be to Highlander/Schon Mix can keep any sort of solo going without making your ears bleed. If you're a rhythm guitarist who likes making the occasional pitch squeal or harmonic to spic up your riffs, this amp is perfect..., however if you're a soloist, I recommend you back away, as far as you can get. Rhythm gets an 8.5, Lead about a 4-5. Ive used it plenty of times in gigs and had ir for over a year so I've tried everything to get it to solo, but its as stubborn an ***** as I am and won't help me solo in the least. :\
    feathers632
    mydian wrote: feathers632 wrote: A friend of mine bought a Line-6 product. The next day I set fire to his house. Quit being a troll. Spiders make suck but Line 6 makes lots of good products. POD-UX2 for example.
    Judging by feedback, Pod UX2 looks good.
    telebuckley
    Its the Kyle wrote: I've got a Spider IV 15 watt, It's a hell of a lot louder than my Lead Guitarist's Marshall 10 watt and has got a lot beastier and fuller tone...as long as you keep it on metal or insane. The 15watt has only Clean, Crunch (which serves well for punk/grunge, but really gives that nice, muddy tone for rhythm-blues playing), Metal and Insane. The riffs that I belt out have so much power and throw themselves around like a Firetruck....yet when I try to solo it always sounds thin and empty, absolutely no tonal capacity at all. No guitar, from an SX strat-a-be to Highlander/Schon Mix can keep any sort of solo going without making your ears bleed. If you're a rhythm guitarist who likes making the occasional pitch squeal or harmonic to spic up your riffs, this amp is perfect..., however if you're a soloist, I recommend you back away, as far as you can get. Rhythm gets an 8.5, Lead about a 4-5. Ive used it plenty of times in gigs and had ir for over a year so I've tried everything to get it to solo, but its as stubborn an ***** as I am and won't help me solo in the least. :\
    This is actually a really accurate summary of this amps uses and the same thing goes for all of the spider amps. While I, personally would never buy a spider amp (I'm not close minded to a Vetta II though, so don't call me a bigot please), for a beginner who wants to play around with tones and see what they can get, the smaller spider amps would be a great choice.