Spider IV 30 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider IV 30

Purchased from: Gutiar Center

I use an Ibanez 350DX with a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde pedal (amazing pedal by the way) and I play all kinds of rock, from Beatles to Led Zeppelin, to Green Day. I also play christian rock at my church. I basically none of the amps built in effects, other than reverb, because the distortion sounds really bad (so I can't have a bit on all the time) and there is no other effect that you can really leave on the whole time. The clean channel, as I said before, is pretty good considering it is a digital amp. The amp also advertises being able to distort at low volumes (unlike tube amps), however the distortion sounds really bad until you turn the volume up. I am not sure if this is my pedal or the amp itself.

This amp is an okay match for my style, but most effects go unused. It was my first electric guitar amp, so I did not have the experience to know that a smaller tube amp would be better. If I lost this amp, I would probably go and buy a Fender tube amp. This amp may have been better if a channel switching footswitch was included with the amp.

This amp has never failed me. However I would not take this amp to a gig because its sound quality is not that good. I have played tis amp everyday for about a year and this amp has never messed up. Being a fidigital amp, it can take much more abuse than a tube amp.

This amp, being that is a digital amp, was made to be filled with effects. It has 4 programmable channels, EQ, chorus/flanger (unfortunately no regular chorus), phaser, tremolo, delay, echoes, reverb, tuner, headphone jack. This amp basically has it all, except nothing that it has sounds all that good. The factory settings on the programmable channels are pretty bad, but you can change them. You first dial in your own setting then press and hold which channel (A, B, C, or D) to program it into. I just use one clean channel and another as clean with reverb because my distortion pedal (Jekyll And Hyde) FAR outclasses this amps distortion. Basically this amp has a ton of effects, but each has so little controllability that they are worthless. In addition, there is no way to readily switch channels without buying a $100 pedal that should have come with the amp. This amp has a pretty decent clean sound, despite it being a digital amp. Another annoying feature is how sensitive the master volume knob is. I will give features a 7 because it can be useful to starting guitarists before they want to dish out $50 or more per effect.

Rumbone
    Bought this amp, 3 months old, second hand for $ 100.= New price in Holland $ 240,= so not to expensive. Playing for 45 years, at the moment with a PRS 25th anniversary 24 custom, I think it's a hell of an amp for this price. Maybe too little for a Woodstock gig, but anyway.....I love it.
    Rumbone
    add on: the only thing that sucks are the knobs. From a little distance tyou can't see which positions they are in. Advise: buy some others.