Spider IV 30 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Line 6: Spider IV 30

Purchased from: GAK.com

I played through this first with a Westfield SG replica I bought second-hand, and I have also played through it with my current guitar, an American Standard Telecaster. When I first started playing it, I was instantly put off by the muddy 'clean' channel, I had a hard time getting a nice sound out of it, and from the times I used it to practice with a band it was tinny and weak. The other clean channels are barely worth mentioning, with 'twang' being way too quiet, even though 'blues' was occasionally satisfying. The 3 distorted channels are also not really worth mentioning: 'crunch' has no depth to it, 'metal' doesn't really sound THAT metal and 'insane' is obviously limited in use, but was the one I used most prominently. After a few months I realised I needed a pedal so bought the obvious choice of a Boss DS-1, which made my replica SG actually sound pretty cool when put through the clean channel. However obviously this instantly makes all the other settings completely useless, with me only using the clean channel with the pedal. The amp is pretty quiet even for a 30w, especially the twang setting. Even though I have since replaced it with a Fender Mustang III, it still makes appearances at band practices when we have no other choice. My band plays a mix of music rooted in punk, but also drawing inspiration from general rock and alternative, reggae, ska, and some other styles where I require to switch between clean and distorted. In all honesty, I hate using this amp for practices and it often hinders my playing. Very glad I upgraded as it would not handle a gig at all. In terms of sound and variety, this amp really is weak.

To be frank, this amp has never left me feeling fulfilled or particularly excited after a long jam. The only good sounds I ever got out of it was through my DS-1 pedal. It would have been nice if I'd not been so brash and just bought it from one friend's recommendation, but I was pretty naive when first starting out with guitar. I should have saved a bit more and just bought the Fender Mustang III straight off the bat and not wasted 160 pounds. If you are just starting out, I suggest not buying a 'flashy' effects-based amp, and just get yourself a nice basic solid state Laney practice amp or something and maybe a pedal too, you will get a lot more mileage out of that than with this thing. If it got stolen would I buy it again? Most definitely not. I'm giving it a 3, and personally I think that's being pretty generous.

It seems fairly durable although I couldn't really say because I haven't exactly taken it many places, but it seems sturdy enough to I'll give it credit for that. It hasn't broken down on me ever (unlike my bandmates' Spider III which often breaks down mid-practice...) but again I can't really say because I haven't used it in many different environments.

Bought this brand new from GAK (Guitar Amp Keyboards) online. The Spider IV was my first amp, and I was told it was a 'good starter amp'. It has a wheel to choose one of 6 amp options, 12 if you include the dirty/clear option for each of these. 3 of them are clean channels (clean, twang, and blues, although blues can also be distorted) and 3 are distorted (crunch, metal, and insane). It has a very simple setup for an amp like this, losing the small computer panel that appeared on the III and IV 75w and opting to just use knobs to choose your effects. It works off presets, but one thing I noticed is how unreliable they could be: they never sounded exactly like I'd set them once turned on and off, and if you saved them with any of the effects active, the effect would be changed when turned on again (example: the tremolo setting would no longer be active, except it was audible separately in the background). Obviously this became very annoying, but is not too bad because the effects themselves are terrible. It has 3 primary effects: chorus flange, phaser, and tremolo. The chorus flange is alright but nothing special. The phaser is WAY too loud, drowning out whatever you are playing, and the tremolo is too slow and sounds bad anyway. The delay settings, due to them not being editable, are not great either, and the ones I was hoping to use most (just plain 'delay' and 'tape echo') were again, too slow. However the reverb is actually not bad at all, and with a bit of patience I got a nice psychedelic sort of sound when mixing the reverb and 'sweep echo' delay. Overall this amp's features are not user-friendly enough to bother playing with but if you really have to, you can probably get something you like out of it.

parhelia_0000
    I own this amp myself and think that it is good for a beginner amp; I've had this for over a year and caught up with no major issues with it. If people don't like the onboard preamp/distortions, then they can stick to the clean and use their own stomp-boxes, or they can swap out the transistors with something better. I myself think that Line 6 is pretty decent for beginners, but for pros, no, definitely not. For those who use this amp as a starter amp, I'd recommend that they stick to the amp for now, and then once their budget rises or their amp pops, then they can but a new amp. I have actually used this amp as an introductory usage to distortions used in many songs. Cheers, parhelia_0000
    MAGGOTCFH
    Krayzie-Bone wrote: Its the Kyle wrote: I've got a Spider IV 15 watt, It's a hell of a lot louder than my Lead Guitarist's Marshall 10 watt and has got a lot beastier and fuller tone...as long as you keep it on metal or insane. The 15watt has only Clean, Crunch (which serves well for punk/grunge, but really gives that nice, muddy tone for rhythm-blues playing), Metal and Insane. The riffs that I belt out have so much power and throw themselves around like a Firetruck....yet when I try to solo it always sounds thin and empty, absolutely no tonal capacity at all. No guitar, from an SX strat-a-be to Highlander/Schon Mix can keep any sort of solo going without making your ears bleed. If you're a rhythm guitarist who likes making the occasional pitch squeal or harmonic to spic up your riffs, this amp is perfect..., however if you're a soloist, I recommend you back away, as far as you can get. Rhythm gets an 8.5, Lead about a 4-5. Ive used it plenty of times in gigs and had ir for over a year so I've tried everything to get it to solo, but its as stubborn an ***** as I am and won't help me solo in the least. :\ but why would you use a a 15w amp for a gig?
    Maybe its a small gig mr critical