Spider IV 30 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Line 6: Spider IV 30

Price paid: C$ 199.99

Purchased from: Guitarworks

I play a little bit of everything on this amp, and it adapts very well. I enjoy lots of '90s alternative stuff, such as Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc. Sometimes I feel that that the amp is a little bit too noisy when I want to play clean, and sometimes even with distortion, which doesn't sound very well. The amp can produce a wide variety of sound, from heavy metal distortion, to clean and calm, or twangy country music. The reverb on the amp also sounds really well. The clean channel can also sound a little bit distorted, and too noisy at high volumes, and sometimes even when I'm not playing at high volumes I feel this way. The distortion on this amp is radical, and it sounds really good on each of the different settings. The distortion isn't to brutal, but it still packs quite a big punch.

I play many different styles of music from hard rock to grunge and heavy metal, and even a little bit of country. This amp seems to be a good versatile match to each of these styles, although it fits some better than others. I have been playing guitar for nearly two years now, and I have had this amp from the day I bought my first electric guitar, which was early January of 2012. This is the only amp I own beside a Fender Rumble 15 bass amplifier. I wish I would have asked more about the sound quality of this amplifier, because as I got better and better at guitar, I became more dissatisfied with the sound quality and the noisiness of the amp. If the amp was lost or stolen, I would not invest in a combo amp at all, but would invest in a tube amp head, which is more higher end, and more toward what I would like to do. I love that this amp is very versatile, and sound pretty good for the relatively cheap price. I also love the many cool features it has. I didn't compare this amp to any other products, besides other amps in store, as this was my first amp and I honestly didn't know anything about guitar amplifiers at the time.

I have only used this amp in two small talent show gigs, but I feel like I could depend on it if I were to play bigger shows as well. I would use it on a gig without backup, mostly because I don't have enough money to have an actual backup amp, but I don't think I would feel the need to have a backup. Besides, with this amp, I don't think you would be able to play to a huge crowd of people anyways. If you plan on doing so, you might want to invest in a larger tube amp head. The amp has never broken down, but I feel that the sound quality has decreased somewhat, which might also be a result of my guitar, although I've never tested this theory. I have never had it serviced, or felt the need too, and don't really know what would be serviced, as it is a solid state amplifier.

I purchased this amp on Boxing Day of 2011, so I would assume that the amp was made in the same year. This amp is very versatile, and is able to fit many of the different styles of music that I enjoy playing. The amp has one channel since it is a combo amp, and therefore it wouldn't have channel switching. The amp has some cool built in effects such as tremolo, chorus flange, sweep echo and delay. You can also purchase a pedal made specifically for this amp that allows you to easily browse through the effects. This amp has an output jack that can be used for headphones, however, it is a 6.35mm jack, so you will need to purchase an adapter to a 3.5mm jack. I wish that this amp had an effect much like a chorus pedal, but for the price of the amp, the effect are plentiful. I use all the features on this amp, some much more than others, but some are really fun to just mess around and experiment with. I use this amp at home by myself, and also use it a lot to Jam with my friends. I have also used it a few times in talent shows, and it has an easy time keeping up. I was surprised at how much power it had.