Spider IV 75 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider IV 75

Purchased from: Music shop in town

This is NOT a million pound tube amp. Bare that in mind. It is a practice amp, used for practising, therefore, granted, the sound is not the best you will ever hear. The cleans are not particularly sparkling, but I like them, they have quite a nice sound. Some of the distortion settings are quite thin and lifeless, with not much tone, but some are quite good if you have a fiddle around. I usually play metal, and this works fine for that kind of music, not the best, but good enough for me to play and enjoy it, and I like it. There is no feedback from this amp at low volumes, and it still performs good at low volumes, as well as high, and there are some nice tones if you have a play around. I am going to give this amp a 7/10 for sound. Its not the best in the world, but for a digital practice amp, its great, and I like it. I'm going to upgrade it obviously, but its a great amp to practice with, and to Jam with a drummer.

I think this amp is very impressive for a practice amp. I play meanly metal and it works really well, and I can play with a band, and it sounds good. I've been playing a year or so, and I play with an Epiphone G400 with Hot Slag pickups, and it sounds great. However, I wish I'd have known more before I bought this amp, as it is not top of the range, and if it was lost/stolen, I would but a different amp, (tubes preferably). I love how it has 16 different models you can use, and I think its very versatile and great for finding that sound you want. However, I think the tone isnt much to be desired, but is great for a practice amp. I wanted to give this amp a solid review, from someone that has learned a lot about the amp, and about the subject of amps in general, and I realise it is not the best amp in the world, but is definately not deserving of the slating it gets around the place. I would recommend this amp to a beginner, but I would suggest they shop around first.

If you bought this amp, you could rely on it with your life. I've had it for about 6 months, and I've had no problems with it. I would only gig with this amp for the first few times, and if its going well, DEFINITELY look to upgrade to tubes, and something with better tone.

The features on this amp, considering the price, are pretty good. Granted, they are not the best in the world, but thats because they aren't 100 pedals. For a practice amp to come with all those effects its fantastic, and with the Mk.II pedal, its great. Especially the in depth control you have over the effects using the display. This amp has 4 channels, and there are 16 banks for these 4 channels, meaning you can have 64 user programmable presets as well as the 300+ artist and song presets. This is great for if you find a sound you like, and you can save it and come back to it later. Very handy. Obviously, the footswitches ect. are a must for this amp to use its full potential, especially with the Quick Loop function, but the only down side of this is that it only lasts for 14 seconds, but still, a very handy feature. I am going to give this 8/10, because the effects are great, and all the little features, controls and gizmo's it comes with are fantastic for the price.

Glenn Guitar
    For the budget these are good amps. but for the same money you could buy a used spider valve or randall RG series. These are nice on a budget, but i'd prefer a used randall with some danelectro pedals, to get the sound i want. Depends what people like. I wouldn't chuck it away if i got given it though.
    guitargod1965
    [quote]Artemis Entreri wrote: Exactly. If you were comparing this to a dumble or something, I would scoff at the reviewer if it got anything above a two. A dumble will cost you tens of thousands of dollars so your comment makes little sense