Spider IV 75 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider IV 75

I have played my old Washburn BT-4 Maverick, which was my first nice guitar, with stock Pickups. A Ibanez, Id say 95 or so RG Series with a DimeBucker in the Bridge, a Schecter Omen 6 Extreme with Double Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, and my favorite Schecter Damien Elite with EMG Active 81/Neck and 85 in the bridge. It suits my playing style just fine. It has built in NosieGate for every setting, so it can be tweaked by decibel level. It stays really clean on high volumes, on the higher gain channels its best to stay a bit away from it, only at really high volumes. I like the tone out of most of the options. I played the DSpider three and wouldn't have paid 50 bucks for the 120 watt. Thats how far the tone has come from the earlier models.

I was hesitent to purchase this amp. I played the III's and I didn't like them. I went to my local GC to play a Crate Flexwave 120 watt Half Stack. The salesman talked me into looking at this one, and I am happy. Its got some ass behind it. Its gonna take anyone who buys it, alot of time to tweak the setting and get it where you like it. Alot of people complaining about the digital sound or the tone, it has gotten ten fold better than the III's. The Pitch Shifter is cool with my acoustic, a Yamaha Thinbody APX500, its awesome. My Washburn with single 2 single coil pickups, sounds deep and warm. The 81 pickup in the neck of the Schecter, sounds muddy on clean. Just trying to give examples. If it were stolen, I would kill them and than join the prison band. For 700.00 bucks a I picked up a loud, clean sounding, endless tones, digital machine. The tones are not bad. Does it really bury the tone on a Mesa Boogie Rectifier. Absolutley not. Its no where near expensive enough. But I will tell you, its got some channels that are modeled after a Mesa Boogie Rectifier, and it sounds alot better than you think. I am extremely happy I own it. I personally think its stage ready, just search hard for the tones that nail it and save them!

I bought the Floor Model Head, in my excitement to get it home, and I am not going to lie, it blew up. So I got a new one at the discounted price, and the new one has been fine. I would have never bought a floor model for Guitar Center, too used by teenagers, but I was excited. I expect not to have a problem with my new one. I have been playing it for a couple months now. I give it a 5 because the first head(floor model), blew up on my second night.

I own the Spider IV HD150 Half Stack. It's the same as the lower wattage combos except it has stand-alone Reverb. It was made in early 2010. The amp pretty much has every model and effect I would need. I play anything with a driving riffs, heavy sound, effects like Sevendust. When I play clean I like a deep warm sound, little chorus on half the songs. I like Soilwork, Killswitch Engage, Nonpoint, Sevendust, God Forbid, All that Remains, Crossfade, Metallica, Red, 30 seconds to Mars, Fear Factory, Apocolyptica, BFMV, Halestorm, Breaking Benjamin, Alterbridge, you know stuff like that. It has 16 amp models, 20 effects, and everything is customizable. Every effect can be tweaked. It has 250 presets built in the amp based on songs and bands. I like alot of them. Built in 14 second looper, user preset slots, and 4 preset switches. Record out sounds good into my Tascam. 150 watts so the Power is there. I wish it came with the pedal that acts as a footswitch, and a volume swell/wah-wah pedal. The pedal also allows to you to go online and load into the amp, more band presets, effect models, and keep it up to date. Thats sick. Solid State Modeling technology I have never been a fan of, I bought this and am very happy. I typically played through Crate with pedals, or Crate Combos before. And I loved them as well.