Spider IV 75 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider IV 75

I have a Godin SD guitar with Godin pickups, and use a Boss ME-20 for distortion and other effects (higher quality effects on the Boss than the amp)My style ranges from classic rock to metal, which obviously means that I have to rely on distortion. Unfortunately, the tone of this amp sucks. A lot. If you listen extremely closely, you will hear that the amp has this cold, digital, fake, crunchy sound to it. Once you notice it, you'll be dissatisfied with it forever. If you've been playing guitar long enough, you'll be able to understand what I mean.It does not have any tone or warmth, and is very weak. The sound breaks up with high volumes and can't keep what little quality it has at lower volumes. On a good note, the clean channels sound pretty good. I can get a very nice sound from the clean channels, but the bummer is that this amp is meant mainly for distortion. If you're looking for a clean sound, find an amp that's meant for it. Unfortunately, even my Boss pedal is too powerful for it and the amp can't keep up with it. So it's impossible for me to get a good, powerful, yet clear distortion.

Like previously said, I play all types of rock, and this amp just doesn't do it for me. It lacks tone, warmth, and sounds fake. At loud volumes it breaks up, which makes it virtually impossible to play a gig unless it is mic'd up. Also, to the reader, notice that 99% of the videos that show this amp sounding good, use a microphone instead of just turning the volume up. I wish I would've had more experience with amplifiers and discovered tube amps before I purchased this. If I lost it or it was stolen, there's no way in hell I would repurchase it. I love that it has so many effects, but they are rendered useless by its crappy tones and sound. Overall, this amp doesn't do it for me. When I strike a note I don't obtain that amazing feeling of satisfaction. I don't feel inspired, and I certainly don't even feel like playing guitar after hearing it. I just feel discouraged. This amp is solely for the beginner, do not plan to buy this amp for gigs, sound quality, or if you intend to keep it for a long amount of time. If I could change anything, it'd be to speak to somebody more experienced before I purchased this.

The reliability is very good. I haven't had any problems with the technicalities themselves. One thing that annoys me though is how sensitive the knobs are, so you'll be playing and the volume knob will drop or somehow go higher, which is very unpleasant. Other than that, I'd say its a pretty sturdy device.

So the features on this amp are very nice, in the sense of their quantity. It has 8 modeling channels (Clean, Twang, Class A, Blues, Crunch, Hi Gain, Metal, and Insane.) This amp has tons of effects such as pitch changes, phasers, delays, etc. Which is a nice extra touch for it. Lastly, the coolest features are the artist/song models. For example, it models (or tries to model) almost every well known song imaginable from Master of Puppets, to Daytripper. I bought this amp when I was still a beginner at guitar, and have had it for a few years now. I intended to be gigging with it but it does not have enough power. I remember my drummer saying "I can hear the noise coming from your amp, but its so muddy that I can't tell what you're playing." I stepped back from the amp, listened closely, and realized exactly what he was talking about. Not for gigs. Do not let these effects be your final verdict. You will regret it.

bronco23
    ok i bought the spider 4 75w back in march 2011. 1 month later it died. volume control would flip out.i really liked this amp from the beginning too. so i had it repaired under warranty.all was good for awhile untill about a week a go when all the lights just started flashing randomly and nothing happens.itll work after pressing some buttons but thats not what i paid 200$ for.i should have bought the extended warranty also. i dont think ill ever but another line 6 product.but i like my pod xt live.