Spider IV 75 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider IV 75

Price paid: C$ 270

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

The only guitar I have is my Gibson SG, so that's what I use with this amp. The humbucker's sound thick in the clean tones and crunchy in the rock tones and also hard and solid in the metal tones. I mostly play The Beatles, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, and Metallica... And the amp has presets for all of these bands. The Day Tripper preset sounds exactly like recording along with "Come As You Are" by Nirvana. The Led Zeppelin presets have that pure Vintage rock sound and the "Master Of Puppets" preset couldn't sound any more Metal... Well, it could, but then it would sound more like Slipknot than Metallica I wouldn't bother getting any effect pedal what'soever with this amp. It was made to have it all, and it lives up to that. I've never turned any of the clean presets or channels up on high volume as it is TOO loud for my bedroom. If you do this I recommend opening a window at least or taking it out on the porch. So I wouldn't know if they start to get breakup at high volumes. BTW there is a ton of distortion on this baby. If you buy a pedal you'll be wasting your money.

My music style is mainly classic rock and you can pretty much get any classic rock sound out of this amp. AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Boston, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Johnny Cash, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica, Slipknot, Nirvana, Jet, Mountain, are only some of the great artist sounds you can get out of this amp. If this amp was stolen from me, I'd find the guy who did it and curb-stomp him to death. Nobody steals my Spider from me like that. But if I lost it, I'd just go and buy another one. Perhaps if I was short on cash I might just get the 15 watt Spider. Or maybe I'd just wait for enough to get the 75. Whatever. The Spider 4 series in phenomenal and the 75 watt Spider has proved it through.

I would definitely bring this amp to gig without backup. It is totally awesome. For on-stage you can get a some sort of attachment for the amp that lets you switch effects on and off. So yeah, the Spider is the way to go! My Spider has never broken down and still looks new from the box and the knobs are shiny as ever. This amp was made to last.

I got this amp when I bought my first guitar, a year ago. My guitar is a Gibson SG and is a good combination with the amp. As you probably know, this amp comes with a variety of built in effects. Such include: Chorus, Flanger, Wah Wah, Pitch Gilde, Fuzz, and a built in looper device. It also comes with a headphone jack and a place where you can plug in your mp3. Warning! This amp is extremely loud so don't plug in your headset at before turning on the amp. Just a precaution. This amp alos comes with over 500 sound presets accessible by a digital screen with a dial and a click pad. Very useful. The presets include artists, genres, decades, famous rock songs etc. For example it has Slipknot, Metallica, Nirvana, Green Day, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix presets, along with ALOT of other artists. The Spider 4 LV also has a built in tuner... Great for if you constantly like to switch your tunings. The feature I used most in this baby was probably the looper, tuner, and the 60's genre presets along with the Wah Wah and Chorus. Wah Wah for Eric Clapton and Chorus for Kurt Cobain. This amp comes loaded with power. When I first got it my dad wanted me to play something for him so I played "Highway To Hell" by AC/DC (this amp a great crunch channel!) and all was well. Then my dad had the bright idea of messing with the dials (which pissed me off) and happened to turn up the master volume. f--king loud. The screen doors in my room vibrated and the knob was less than half-way! I was surprised I didn't go deaf, and that was the last time I showed my dad my guitar and amp. So for loudness? Yeah, this bitch can take on a large gig. For playing in the bedroom I suggest just barely turning the master volume until just enough for the amp to turn on. No more. Otherwise you'll have to take it outside unless you're planning on breaking all the windows in your room.