Spider Valve 112 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider Valve 112

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I'm using my trusty SG menace with the brutal stock pickups. I play mostly heavy stuff, but experiment with all the tones. Of course at full grind it's noisy but there's a noise reduction gate in the programming just for that, which works like a champ. The variety of sounds is like a POD which is pretty versatile, but the tube section takes those crappy, stale tones and makes em Bogner worthy. I say that because my friend has a Bogner to similar stature as this amp and he says it sounds good, he's a recording and Live sound guy who knows his stuff. With my Gibson it can get a little raunchy at high volume on clean, which I like, but still pretty clean considering the type of guitar I have. Might not be for Matchless users. Pearly Gates pickups or Tele's would probably sound really good. Considering I've played my guitar, and an EMG equipped guitar the insane and metal setting is pretty damn brutal. Just as good as any pedal in front of a single channel tube amp. Shred and metal tones are easily acheieved. Line 6 says that the crunch setting on the Orange with a certain mid knob tweek will get the EVH "brown sound" (I can't remember which color on the knob, Orange or blue), I think that it could be but Who on this planet can lock down the "brown sound", nuff said. Sounds good recording also.

For my metal stuff it's good, but I like to play and learn all types of stuff, so for that this amp does the job. I'm not going to give you a biased review because I don't work for or have used line6 but I've had a couple of marshalls, and fenders which I have wrecked from playing forever. But for the price, this is really a good tube amp. I've been playing for 10 years and have played or heard all the good old or new stuff, which is still a dream of mine to own. Ultimately I really like this amp, I wouldn't hunt anyone down if it's stolen because I have such a kick ass guitar (which someone would die if stolen) but it will be my workhorse for a while (live and otherwise). I wish it came with a foot pedal, but hey it's all good. I couldn't afford the Krank, Bogner Ubershall, Mesa anything, and I'm through with Marshalls. If your looking for boutique sound for cheap, just step back because you get what you pay for. I'm rating the overall at 8 beacuse it does what I need it to do, sound and otherwise and the service available lasts for a while, so why not. Anyone Who has not at least tried this amp out should not apply to judge it. Also, if your a tone snob, keep kickin out the uber bucks.

Here's where my problem lies. My first one from Musician's Friend showed up DOA, and the grill was jacked. The replacement I recieved was working fine until I heard this awful noise. Come to find out, the tubes we tweaked from shipping. Line 6 walked me through it, I reset the tubes, everything is gravy. I've had it on the road since then, which has been about a month and no problems. Line 6 is good at their warranty Status no matter who you get it from (they are sending me new tubes to be installed). But it's relative because I couldnt imagine how many times it's gotten bumped, kicked, dropped, or anything else being shipped through the popular shipping companies. There's Sovtek tubes in there and I know for sure that those tubes are bullet proof. I'm giving it a 6 because of the crap I had to go through, but sine that it's hanging in there, I'll let you know.

Well I've had this thing about two months, and compared to amps I've had in the past this has lots of features. Normally I would never buy Line 6 anything but this is cool. The response is good with a couple guitars I play, and the built in tuner is good for goofing, I don't think is super accurate though. You definitely can dial just about any guitar sound in, unless you are sitting on a music room full of boutique amps. Then, of course it would not be up to par. I also like just turning knobs and getting instant feedback. I hate having to navigate menu's to find something. I've also found that there is a bunch of hidden tricks to this amp, like tubescreamer sound, or EVH MXR tones.

BlisteringDDj
    HELLSHREDD wrote: this amp needs a 9
    Totally agree! It's an amazing amplifier. So is the 212!
    jcoley2
    I was going to buy a Traynor YCV50 Blue as my first amp but then I just visited my local GC and they sales guy is trying to convince me to buy the 112 (or 212). Any thoughts on the pros and cons between the Line 6 and Traynor.
    trendkill-
    line six crunch chanal is alwasy crappy but other then that they are desent practice amps and the tube one i just got it but its sounds hell of alot better then my spider 3 30w
    ash_attack
    FraerJock wrote: shortbus 82, do you let your tubes warm up for at least a minute?
    most likely not but i do that to my peavey sometimes, i like the slowly increasing volume effect xD
    TastyTom
    You can connect it via XLR out or the preamp out(I think ?). According to the manual the XLR out is the best for this purpose, allthough i think it sounds a bit fizzy, but it still captures the brutality i think. The best way would be to mic it up, but you have to have some skills for that to make it sound good.
    p_astley
    I've just bought the valve 2x12!!! I want to record some riffs n stuff on my laptop...what cable do I use to connect my amp to my laptop? Somebody please help me.....
    theDogger
    Oh ya one more thing that only thing that I wish that it had was a headphone in.....
    theDogger
    I just got this amp over the weekend. I bought it instead of a Peavey Valveking 212. I am very have with it so far and I am having a blast playing trough it. Most all the preset are close to spot on. The clean channel is perfect and this thing distorts really nice. Only thing that I can say is that the reverb is a little lacking. theDogger
    Shortbus82
    Shortbus82
    I dont know to much about the traynor, but I got my spider valve back and Im hooked for life.
    L-Roberts91
    Just got mine yesterday (wouldn't dare buying this new, got it second hand for 275 and he just replaced the tubes. It sounds great, much more versitile than imagined an amp could be, one thing though is that if your flicking through presets the volume decreases or increases, which can be a bitch if your up all night fiddling with it with the rest of the famil in bed, you have the master on say 0.5 and then it just screams in your face, and with no emulated output it kinda wakes up the whole family. but thats because channel volume is saved with a preset, so say at the time they had it on 10 for one preset and your got yours saved at about 5 then you'l hear a dramatic increase. so make sure to save all your channels in 10, then there'l be no problem, but even if you scroll from metal to insane it decreases in volume 'coz they were saved say at 5, and now you've got it on 10. so before entering a jam sessions be sure to only use your channels that are all saved at 10, you dont want to be blasting one part n then unheared in the next. Also the guy i bought it said there was no FBV pedal that came with it, only having this amp for two days you need the FBV pedal, especially if your playing lead. My friends whos got past Line6 experience say that it should of came with one like the other spiders (im a previous TSL user so i know nothing about line6 really, bought this amp off a whim) As for outputs a headphone socket isnt extreemly necessary because this is an amp that deserves to be played always above 5 on master (no recommended unless you like bursting your ear drums) This amp is also armed with a dual 8 Ohm output, and a single 4 Ohm output, which i was quite impressed with. Overall due to extreem diverse sounds, ease of use, and outputs/loops, i give this amp a 9, would of been an outright 10 but the fact that the presets were saved with all different channel volumes so you find yourself constantly turning up their presets can be abit tedious.
    EnyoAdonai
    I've tested the big 100w version of this, I think they all have the same features though. I loved some of the pre-programmed sounds it had.
    HELLSHREDD
    After i bit of tweeking the crunch channel i was able to get an awesome lead sound & after i got it right i couldnt stop playing it with a bit of tape echo & reverb it sounded like pink floyd, & i tried the twang setting with the volume on my axe on 3 for the bridge & 9 for the neck & it was outstanding , everytime i play this amp i get better & it sounds so great. So anyone out there ,take your time & you will nail almost any sound you want.
    HELLSHREDD
    Great write & review, I have owned this amp since OCT/07 & i think that it sounds great . The only thing i dont like is the crunch channel will never be used cuz it sounds like crap with EMG81.I have the FBV shortboard & a couple great guitars & so far it packs the punch im after , & for under a grand its the most bang for the buck i could find & metal is me
    Ferrarone
    a really bad amp, tested it out in a store and i couldnt hear a difference in sound while playing a les paul and then changing to a telecaster. it has no dynamics at all, its just a spider with some valves put into it and a fancy bogner badge on the front..
    Matt in Jerzey
    I've had this amp for about a month and a half now and I really love it. The metal settings are ok, but the clean and twang settings are killer for ZZ Top and blues. The channel volumes NEED to be corrected though. No need for them to be set as high as they are. The effects are subpar, but the actual amplifier section is awesome. People need to get over the fact this is a Spider, or a Line 6 for that matter and realize how nice an amp this is for the price.
    BlisteringDDj
    I just bought the amp a couple of weeks ago, and I'm having a blast with it! I don't think the reverb is lacking really, but I don't have that much experience with reverb... yet! The crunch channel could have been a lot better, but after a lot of tweaking I finally got a great Audioslave and grunge sound. I think it's a little annoying that the Chorus and Flanger is combined as an effect. This is the only things I have to point out, other than that, this amp is killer.
    L-Roberts91
    theDogger wrote: Only thing that I can say is that the reverb is a little lacking. theDogger
    Ah yes forgot about the effects, yeh the reverb sucks really, its either all or nothing, you can barely recognise reverb untill you've past 1'o clock and of course, the second you pass 1 o'clock your great sound is flooded. what i love is the tap button and the tuner, want a fast delay? double click the tap button as fast as possible and you got it, want a slow delay? click it, wait a second or two whatever click it again, perfection, any sound you want, you got it, with the most genious amp yet created.
    L-Roberts91
    Just got mine yesterday (Not sure if i'd buy it new. got it second hand for 275 and he just replaced the tubes.) It sounds great, much more versitile than imagined an amp could be, one thing though is that if your flicking through presets the volume decreases or increases, which can be a bitch if your up all night fiddling with it with the rest of the famil in bed, you have the master on say 0.5 and then it just screams in your face, and with no emulated output it kinda wakes up the whole family. but thats because channel volume is saved with a preset, so say at the time they had it on 10 for one preset and your got yours saved at about 5 then you'l hear a dramatic increase. so make sure to save all your channels in 10, then there'l be no problem, but even if you scroll from metal to insane it decreases in volume 'coz they were saved say at 5, and now you've got it on 10. so before entering a jam sessions be sure to only use your channels that are all saved at 10, you dont want to be blasting one part n then unheared in the next. Also the guy i bought it said there was no FBV pedal that came with it, only having this amp for two days you need the FBV pedal, especially if your playing lead. My friends whos got past Line6 experience say that it should of came with one like the other spiders (im a previous TSL user so i know nothing about line6 really, bought this amp off a whim) As for outputs a headphone socket isnt extreemly necessary because this is an amp that deserves to be played always above 5 on master (no recommended unless you like bursting your ear drums) This amp is also armed with a dual 8 Ohm output, and a single 4 Ohm output, which i was quite impressed with. Overall due to extreem diverse sounds, ease of use, and outputs/loops, i give this amp a 9, would of been an outright 10 but the fact that the presets were saved with all different channel volumes so you find yourself constantly turning up their presets can be abit tedious.
    trendkill-
    Shortbus82 wrote: TUBES JUST WENT STALE ON MINE! I Cant believe it! I have to send it back again! If Its Not Fixed When I get it Back, THEY ARE FIRED! I WANT THIS AMP TO WORK CUZ I LOVE IT! LINE SIX SAYS IT NEEDS NEW TUBES, ITS BRAND EFFIN NEW! It went south on me last week at a gig! I can't have this!
    get a guitar geek to agust them the bias or whet ever its called