Spider Valve 112 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider Valve 112

The effects on this amp pretty good, the only one that seems to be lacking is the phaser. This amp has 6 different settings, clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, and insane. There are two different type of each setting, one giving more of a thin sound, while the other give more OD. This amp suits my style wonderfully, a great metal amp. I play stuff like Guns n roses, jimi hendrix, and led zeppelin, but recently I have been only playing Megadeth and Metallica, and this amp is a perfect fit. This is amp is not muddy/noisy if you fool with the EQ a bit, a random setting will give you some unwanted noise. The distortion is weak on some channels, while insane on others, so no worries there. And I use a stratocaster with Vintage noiseless pickups(just goes to show that the amp is like 87% of your tone).

This amp is brilliant, and it's going to last me years. The only thing I hate is all the confusing presets. If this got stolen, I'd go buy it right again. People say this is just a Spider III with tubes shoved into it, but there wrong, Line 6 shouldn't have called it a Spider, because everyone is Biased towards Spiders. The footswitch that comes with it($100 one), is pretty sucky, but gets the job done. The volume/wah pedal sqeaks(the actual hardware).

This amp is a monster, so no problems with it getting damaged or anything(has a tube guard). I havn't had any problems with it so far, but it's only been a few months. I wouldn't worry about having a backup while gigging.

This is a new amp that Line 6 just put out I think a year ago(don't test me on that, that's what the guy said in the store). It is a pretty versatile amp, I was impressed with the cleans, there not Fender cleans, but there pretty good. This is a modeling/tube amp, so it pretty much has all the effects I need(which I will get into in the next category).This is amp is also loaded with a ton of presets, which are pretty cool. But to be honest, I wish there weren't any, because stuff like the master of puppets preset gets me to sound identical to hammett back in the 80s, but I don't want to sound like Metallica, I want to sound like me. The presets can get pretty confusing at times, too. But there are presets that aren't based on actual musicians, so you can definitely get your own sound out of it. There are 4 presets that you can set yourself, and alter when needed.

wchurchill
    RocknRollRay wrote: I played this amp at best buy and I was not satisfied. I couldn't get a good tone no matter what I tried. I ended up buying a marshall mg which sounded much better imo.
    You are an idiot i got beter out of a spider III 15w then a mg! line 6 spider>marshall mg
    A-G-guitarist
    BlisteringDDj
    A-G-guitarist wrote: I keep hearing different opinions about this amp, and I've been planning on saving up for it for a while now. Answer me this: I play metal, thrash, completely ultra-distorted stuff but also like to switch back to completely clean tones back every now and then. It's at PMT in Southend for about 500. Is it worth saving up for?
    BlisteringDDj
    One of the reviewer says the FBV Express Pedal squeaks... Give it some oil, and its long gone.
    A-G-guitarist
    BlisteringDDj wrote: Definitely. Some people here have tested it in stores, where the volume needs to be really low. This is amp really screams! With the volume at 3-4, you have enough volume to practice with a full band, and it|s gig-worthy as well.
    Thank you, thank you so much! I worry about who to listen to about stuff like this because the majority of my school are either chavs or guitarists who act like they know everything. Thank you again
    stratdud39
    yeah im pretty much the same thing it has surprisingly good clean sounds if you fool with the EQ a bit(as i said in my review)
    stratdud39
    Ferrarone wrote: a really bad amp, tested it out in a store and i couldnt hear a difference in sound while playing a les paul and then changing to a telecaster. it has no dynamics at all, its just a spider with some valves put into it and a fancy bogner badge on the front..
    you must have had bad EQ or something cuz really this amp is incredible. try it again
    BMTH666
    This amp is awesome i've tested it out it had a great sound i would get one if i had the money
    RocknRollRay
    (Mr.Arercab)
    Best Buy?
    SOADriff
    you must be friking joking me if yo uthink an mg is better. this thing blows it out of the water. however, get the 212, its WAY better.
    Matt in Jerzey
    As for the volume, you can get a Hotplate attenuator or simply go to radioshack and build a volume control for the effects loop. This gives more travel in the master volume knob and doesn't hurt tone.
    David_Bowie=GOD
    definately get it, it suits you perfectly. Unlike the spider III, the cleans are great, not fender cleans but they are still really good. Also gives a great distorted sound.
    tsu_1101
    Hey! I play mainly punk rock like rise against and Billy Talent, but I like to try newstuff to, so would it be a good amp for this?????