Spider Valve 112 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider Valve 112

Purchased from: Local Guitar store

It has a nice tone, I can make single coils scream but I usually use it with DiMarzio evos to get a nice progressive rock/metal sound out of it. Once you realize that the Treble on this amp is REALLY powerful you can dial in tone much easier. Just keep the treble low, keeping the treble on this amp at about 4 is just as much as having the treble on my V3 at 7 or 8 (with the presence on the amps at the same place). I have gotten tones VERY close to a Mesa Boogie Mark IV, and I have gotten tones SUPER close to my V3 (which is about twice as much money). So yea once you really get used to the EQ you can make it sound nice. Another quick note I do not use ANY of the high distortion channels with the gain above 5 because that makes it a sure fire way to have your tone sucked.

I really needed an amp that could go from a Warm jazzy tone, to a nice country twang, to a classic distortion all the way up to a WALL of distortion. This is the only amp that I feel is under 1000 dollars that can do all of this. After playing for nearly 9 years I feel like I have found a perfect match. I compared this amp to every amp I could find, Fenders, Marshalls, Peavey Vypyrs, Even some Mesa, Bogner, and Vox amps and I really liked this amp more. I could not find another amp that could do what this one could, let alone come close to the price. This amp made me do something I thought I would never do and that is Sell my Carvin V3, and say Line 6 can make a really nice amplifier.

I have had NO problems with this amp, I love that it is a combo so all I have to do is grab it in one hand and the guitar in the other and go! I would say if you want to gig it having at least 1 of the FBV pedals Line 6 makes is a must. For a gig I would take a back up, but I doubt I would ever use the back up.

Well I was looking for a nice Combo tube amp that had a decent amount of tones and had at least some built in effects. After much searching I found this amp beat out any other tube (or solid state) combo I could find (that was reasonably priced at least). You have 4 presents on 9 banks, plus tons of built in sounds. I have had this thing for months and Still have only used the first 3 banks (which would be 12 presets). The effects are nice, but nothing amazing, still it's nice to not have to lug around a pedal board all the time. I practice in a band with this amp all the time and never have to go above 4 on the master volume. It is a REAL tube amp, just with a digital section thrown in, and honestly once you get the hang of the EQ it is easy to dial in tones you like.

DrewMeyer
    How come everyone seems to always play blues, classic rock, and metal and has 30+ years of experience?