Spider Valve 212 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider Valve 212

This amp has it all. Separate channels specifically designed for sparkling clean, blues, rock, metal and an "Insane" channel for blistering solos. This amp can do anything. It also contains a noise gate to kill any form of buzz or hiss. I use this amp at my church and when I jam with friends so I use a variety of sounds and I have not yet been let down. The clean channels are amazing and deliver an incredibly diverse amount of sounds. The different levels of gain go from very modest to more than you will ever need (ever!). I play anything from Hillsong to The Killers to Demon Hunter and As I Lay Dying. This amp covers the lot and does it incredibly well.

Hands down, this is the best amp I have ever played through. My main guitar is a PRS Tremonti but I also own an Ibanez 7V JEM that has had a few plays through it. I have also borrowed Fenders and a Les Paul Custom. All guitars have sounded amazing. If this amp were lost, I would definitely purchase another, or upgrade to the Spider Valve 100watt Head and Box. There is nothing to hate about this amp except the fact that there is so much to do with it. I am 6 months in and still discovering amazing sounds. I had no dollar limit when I purchased this amp. I wanted the best. I chose this amp over a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, Krank Revolution, Marshall JCM-900, Ritchie Blackmore Signature Amp, Crate 350Watt Tube amp among many others tried that didn't come remotely close to this. If you are after a new amp, I cannot recommend anything over this amp except it's beefier 100watt brother. Incredible value for money and sounds and tones that leave anything else (yes, even your beloved Mesa) for dead 50 miles back. As mentioned above, if stolen, I would not buy anything else.

This is my only amp and I have complete confidence in it. It is very easy to use and I have only had slight problems with the foot pedal, never with the amp. Having said that, I have only owned it for 6 months. So far, no issues though. I always play this amp without backup. The wheels are a godsend, even on a combo!

This 40 watt tube amp features Line 6 pre-amp with 12 channels, a heap of pre-made sounds from artists such as John 5, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, Thursday and many more. The amp also features an inbuilt tuner, effects such as flange, chorus, tap delay, reverb, etc. The power amp is made by Bogner and is accessible directly through a jack on the back of the amp. The pre-amp can be lined out into an external speaker cab but I have been happy with the inbuilt speakers, being 2x12" Celestion Vintage 30s. The amp comes with an in-depth manual and wheels (you will need them, it is insanely heavy for a combo! ) I wish I could rate this higher as it is hands down the best amp I have used with the possible exception of the Line 6 Spider Valve 100 Watt Head and Quad Box. I purchased the amp with the FBV Express foot pedal. This accesses the 4 custom channels, tuner, tap delay, volume and wah.

bluesman89
    I cannot belive that a modelling amp could be considered over things as the fender twin, or a bluesbreaker for tone!! no matter how good you may think it sounds, you are never going to beat the equipment made to do the job with a machine that is modelling...no way, it would be like saying a photograph is better than actually seeing something cz the camera is awsome, just doesnt work. it may be a great package but im not swayed at all!
    psss
    line 6 arnt a bad amp dont get me wrong but... why not just get the real thing i mean they are just trying to emulate other amps
    theoreticmusic
    [quote.TDAJGuitarist wrote: "I'd easily put this amp up there with Marshall, Mesa, and Fender. Actually, buying this amp gives you all 3 of those amps plus more at only $830! " Most ridiculus claim i have ever heard....thats like saying First Act is right up there with Gibson...Totaly ludicris....[/quote] wow. mommy should have taught you how to spell before she cut you loose on the interweb. and, for the record, comparing first act to gibson is completely ludicrous. it's fallacious logic meant to undermine the review and detract from the original point of the argument (although i'm sure you didn't know that), which is that the spider valve apparently sucks, which isn't true. its actually a great amp. maybe not a JCM 900, but that doesnt mean you can buy it at walmart, you should know that, considering that you're probably doomed to spend the rest of your life working there.
    RoaryB.
    niguitars.com wrote: how long have you been working for line 6?
    Haha, my thought exactly. I'm thinkin about buying the 100W head version, but i need to try one out first. Also, i'm kinda scared i'll end up reliant on presets and crap, and not have a proper ear for tone. i dont know if that's just me being stupid....
    EnyoAdonai
    I have to say that line6's are good practice amps, but I haven't seen anybody gig with one before. if you want a good practice tube amp just get an epi valve junior - its 5w but it costs about as much as the groceries.
    dj_argel
    jaja era broma opino igual que stradivari310 pero no estoy seguro de si es la mejor eleccion... la verdad es que nunca he probado uno de estos pero por lo que me han dicho malos no son y encima me han dado este modelo como prioridad y la verdad es que no me desagrada para nada
    HeavyMetalHokie
    a lot of you guys are trashing this amp but how many of you have honestly played the thing. i dont like line 6 solid state stuff either but these tube amps are awesome. any people are saying that marshalls and peaveys are better, but both of those brands make some awaful amps to (MG series) so dont judge becaues you heard some crappy spider 3.
    Mikey p
    btw, not to sound 'noobish' or anything, but what person/band is the RIGGS channel meant to be? it sounds cool but i dont know who uses it! plx help
    RhoadsLivesOn
    I wonder how many of the people who say this thing sucks because it is a Line 6 and not a Mesa or Marshall have actually played it. I used to HATE Line 6, I didn't like the Spider II at all. I play through a Fender Hot Deluxe, I love it and would never trade it in for this amp...but I must admit I was blown away when I plugged into this thing, not only does this have more presets than stuff like the old Spiders, but they actually sound pretty good. I played a Semi-Hollow Telecaster, a Les Paul, and a Jackson RR3 through this thing and the tone of each guitar shone through. I could never say that about the Spiders which might any guitar sound sterile on the clean channel and just noisy on the insane channel. For the price this thing is unmatched in versatility, I'd still take a simple amp like my Hot Rod or a Traynor Blue over this thing, but if you like effects, this thing will save you so much money and will spare you the trouble of having a pedalboard.
    ash_attack
    TDAJGuitarist wrote: "I'd easily put this amp up there with Marshall, Mesa, and Fender. Actually, buying this amp gives you all 3 of those amps plus more at only $830! " you just proved your ignorance, just because first act sells their crappy series at wal mart doesnt mean they dont make quality instruments, check out their website sometime Most ridiculus claim i have ever heard....thats like saying First Act is right up there with Gibson...Totaly ludicris....
    ash_attack
    ash_attack wrote: TDAJGuitarist wrote: "I'd easily put this amp up there with Marshall, Mesa, and Fender. Actually, buying this amp gives you all 3 of those amps plus more at only $830! " Most ridiculus claim i have ever heard....thats like saying First Act is right up there with Gibson...Totaly ludicris....
    whoops you just proved your ignorance, just because first act sells their crappy series at wal mart doesnt mean they dont make quality instruments, check out their website sometime
    Mikey p
    Come on people! i ask a simple question (see 3 posts above) and people still decide to bang on about whether this amp is amazing or not! Just someone tell me which artist is the Riggs channel meant to be? (and on a very hypocritical note, this amp is very good and is not representative of previous Spider Line 6 series.)
    BlisteringDDj
    Yeah, you guys are way too close minded! Most of you haven't even tried these amps. I promise you, these amp is one of the best in it's price range. Trust me! It can't be compared to any other Line 6 amplifiers, like the Spider III. Amp modelling + full tube = win! This amp can easily be put next to Marshall, Peavey and Fender. It's definitely the most versatile amp I have ever tried in my whole life (so far of course). I was thinking about getting a Classic 30, but after trying this beast out for a couple of mintues, I made up my mind. I soon have the money to get one, can't wait!!
    thelonesoldier
    Analog Bob is an idiot, if he actually tried the amp at all. At the very least, he blathered a lot of blatantly false nonsense while trying to sound intelligent. First, the high range of volume on this amp is extremely excessive - no chance in hell that he couldn't get it loud enough. Secondly, Bob didn't bother to research his speculation about the amp's distortion. The amp is an actual tube amp - the distortion is not entirely "computer effect". While I'd expect the modelling can incorporate digital distortion, it's obvious at decent volume levels that this is more than an artificial signal - the amp offers genuine analog sound if you set it right. The signal certainly isn't so degraded that all guitars will sound the same. Of course at high distortion the differences are scarcely notable, but this is because the overdriven sound masks some of the tonal difference between guitars. You need to get over your fear of "1s and 0s" Bob... ever listen to an MP3? Those are compressed digital data, but they don't all sound the same. Seriously, Bob, if had that much difficulty with this amp, I wonder if you were having trouble adjusting the knobs.