Spider Valve HD100 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider Valve HD100

Price paid: € 730

I play a Dean Soltero MHG (if anyone wants a review of that let me know) but I had it fitted with the EMG 81/85 combination and it sounds good the cleans are crystal clear (and don't say emg's suck for clean playing because they don't it's all a matter of tweaking your sound and the kind of guitar you use for example ir you have a 300 dollar 3 pound guitar...it ain't gonna sound to good)and the metal and insane models sound good aswell (and no I'm not gonna say it's the best sounding amp in the world because that is a matter of taste), you can have that early metallica or modern day metal sound if you so desire. The amp is very responsive so if you're one of those "cheap amp shitload of distortion look how good I am" players you ain't gonna sound to good on this amp (it got me pushing a lot harder to hear what I wanted to hear). as far as noise goes it's pretty quiet due to the built in noise gate that I forgot to mention earlier, if there's bad power you're going to hear some noise if there's good power it's quiet. The wah is decent but getting a Dunlop or a Morley is probably better. Overall it is a good sounding amp but I'll have to change the power tubes because I had the amp for a little over a year and a half now and have played it almost everyday. Last but not least LEAD sound is not exactly good no mater how the EQ is set it lacks a Tube Screamer over the insane channel (blue) then would be awseome.

I use the Dean straight into the amp + the FBV Shortboard because without it the amp is pretty much useless because I can't picture someone using this amp to practice in his/her living room... anyway i run the head through a line6 4x12 cab loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s speakers which is just as good as any other speaker cabinet. p.s. Sorry for the bad language but that's just how it is.

Well there hasn't been anyithing wrong with it so far except for the tubes because the sound got a little muddy (soon to be fixed). I think it's adurable amp the leather job didn't fall apart and the knobs are very sturdy although I think it wouldn't survive a nice drop unharmed as any tube amp wouldn't.

Ok, so let's start by saying what many people have said before me "it is a very versatile amplifier" you can pretty much play any style of music you want on it. It contains 12 amp models (2 clean, 2 tweed, 2 blues, 2 crunch, 2 metal, 2 insane..you get the idea)it has 4 channels (that are switchable with the FBV Shortboard which you have to purchase if you want to gig with this amp) and 7 effects (flange, phaser, tremolo, 3 different delays and reverb) + wah-wah (you need the foot controller). So the effects are good to some degree but the thing that annoys me is that the modulation effects are on one knob, the delays on one knob and a seperate knob for reverb so you can't really use let's say tremolo and phase at the same time and the delays aren't tweakable as much as one would like. I play like alternative metal/rock whatever so I use most of the amp models (except for the crunch cause it sux balls). I've gigged with this amp a lot of times and I use it for band practice. what's next let's see here...oh yeah power...it's a 100 watt all tube head designed by Bogner uuuu flashy and it's loud infact it's so loud that I don't or should I say can't crank it past 11 o'clock because my band members don't want to lose their hearing and neither do I. But I have cranked it to 3 o'clock and it brought the house down :D... Oh yeah one last thing about the features be careful with channel volume because let's say metal (blue LED) at 12 o'clock CHANNEL volume is NOT the same volume as I dunno clean (amber LED) at 12 o'clock channel volume and that is a major pain in the ass when you think you got your channels the same volume and then a gig comes up and while your playing the monitors make you realize that your channels are not the same volume (do yourself a favour when you buy this amp...buy a Db meter too) and it has 300 presets.

Nacek21
    Oh, yeah and this is qithout a doubt the best amplifier lin6 has ever made except for the Spider valve HD100 mark II head which is the same I think only with more FX
    rickyj
    espplayer400 wrote: celticstorm84 wrote: espplayer400 wrote: Deffinetly not the best amp line 6 has to offer people... the flextones are great, and the vetta II's are damn good. but for the money theyre just not worth it. Sure they are worth it...that's why lots of people use them. o_O just because a lot of people listen to slipknot, does that mean they are good? No. for the price range that they are in, there are much better tube amps to buy.
    i agree about the slipknot sucking part and the price part but this is still a fantastic amp
    King ofKumbucha
    This thing sucks. One of my guitarists used to have one. Sold it within a month for money towards an ENGL Fireball.
    Quoteman
    Really, I feel the amp is very versatile and has a good overall sound. You really don't hear the tubes though till you get to volumes that aren't always so practical
    HellsYeah
    I own a Line 6 Spider II amp, and I have the same issues with the clean/distorted volume settings. 12 o'clock on distorted isn't the same volume level as 12 o'clock on clean. But you can't beat that Line 6 distortion! Good review.
    celticstorm84
    Sure they are worth it...that's why lots of people use them. o_O
    Nacek21
    I have the 100W head. Until you swap the stock tubes completely and change the bias to a little hotter you'll never hear what this amp can do...period. Tung Sol for preamp and step up the sovtek stock with sovtek 6L6XWT+ (very highly rated power tubes). And if you're feeling brave, have your tech set the bias to at least 40mV (some go to 45mV) 35mV is somewhat cold for 6L6 power tubes. Marshall and Mesa for the most part utilize their tubes properly so when you do the same with this head, it's simply fierce and I've made many Marshall and Mesa owners scratch their head.
    That sounds amazing, I think I'll really do that to my amp but does that help mask the "digital" sound of the amp?
    espplayer400
    i was talking about the flextones and vettas, sorry for the confusion.
    Nacek21
    Shoji001 wrote: stop whining about the clean/distortion volume presets!!! here's wat you do.... set normal clean channel on A, with full channel volume without distorting, then you get the same loudness on you gain channel, about 12 on channel B. on channel C, boost the mids and put the channel volume to its max... hey presto your solo boost.... and on preset D make a ****ing awesome, 5 bass 1 mid 8 treb with phasor set to 1, ERUPTION BABY!!!!!
    If there's one thing I've learned over the years about amplifiers is never crank anything related with volume to the max because that's a great way to shorten tube life and not everyone is a van halen (soundwise ofcourse) fan. Line6 would have sloved that problem simply by putting in a Db output reader fo cannels
    Shoji001
    Jsteele1408
    doive wrote: I played through a couple of these while choosing amps and i was pretty impressed up until midway through the gain range... When on metal and insane it just sounded awful, no better than the spider III's. That said this thing could take a lot of getting used to to dial in righ so i'll let it off for now
    Yeah I pretty much only play metal and I've got a pretty great tone with it right now. It's all about the EQ settings, man.
    BlisteringDDj
    Try the blue crunch channel with max drive, max treble, presence at 2 o'clock, and mid past 12. It will give you a nice Audioslave like sound, especially if you use your mid pickup. Experiment a bit more with the crunch and you'll learn to love it.
    doive
    RocknRollRay
    and 7 rating for the features is very fair, no foot switch IS A PAIN. the reverb is a little off too and sometimes you can loose yourself mixing the effects, especially when messing around with the presets. and yeah you have to kill the volume before you switch gain chanels
    RocknRollRay
    Ive actually played this at best buy, this amp aint that bad, dont let the line6 logo throw u off, its bogner designed, the gain settings are a little rusty, kinda hard to find a good tone. But once you got it, this thing doesn't disappoint. it was selling for under 700 bucks, i was actually gonna buy it but i got a laptop instead
    Amuro Jay
    I've actually played through some Spider Valves, and they're actually surprisingly good. I love my Spider III and all but it just doesn't compare to the valve amps they have.
    Ne0Assass1n
    EpiExplorer wrote: Its a Spider. But its a valve.. PARADOX.
    Still the best amp that Line 6 has to offer.
    Nacek21
    xicetraex : Wouldn't call this the best review, but I guess it gets the job done. Don't know why "features" got the lowest rating, considering that's what the spider series is known for. Sorry about that it's the first review I've ever done...iI don't think 7 is a low rating but I rated it that way because without the foot controller you can't use all the features of the amp and you can't toggle FX on or off and you can't blend FX in a ceratin way. any saved preset you have that has one of the effects on you can switch them off if you like but you have to save for example distortion+delay on one channel and just distortion on another channel because if your playing on the "just distortion" channel and you want delay you'll have to switch to "distortion+delay" channel in order to add delay because you can't just kick on the delay on a certain channel like you would if you'd have a delay pedal...I'm not making any sense am I, I'll post a video on youtube and you'll see what I mean.
    xicetraex
    Jsteele1408
    SOADriff wrote: looks pretty nice. Is it more british voiced or american?
    Voicing is pretty much all in the speakers, really. I've got this amp, you could dial it in however you want. It's... rather insane how many sounds you can get with it.
    i81b4u81