Spider Valve MKII HD100 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider Valve MKII HD100

I play an Ibanez S with a DiMarzio D Activator Bridge and a DiMarzio Liquifire neck. I play classic rock to metal to heavy metal to death metal. If you play classic rock, this amp is pretty good for you. However, if you play metal and heavy metal, this is not the amp for you. There is not a lot of "chug" in your palm mutes and the noise is quite thin. There is not enough gain on this amp for heavy metal players and the highs are quite hopeless. At first I thought it was my pickups, but then I tried it with my friend's guitar which has active EMGs and the sound still wasn't enough. You will need to buy some sort of overdrive or distortion pedal to get a good heavy metal sound. The cleans are decent, but I do not like the overall tone of this amp. However, it can go VERY loud, but that does not mean it gives enough gain.

For a metalhead like me, this is not my favorite amp. I've been playing for 4 years and I use a very good guitar that sounds excellent with a Laney (which is the amp I'm going to buy now since I returned the Line 6). The store keeper said it was excellent for metal, but apparently, he was lying since my friend has the same guitar as me and played it through a Laney LG35R, and the tone was killer. No, I would not buy this again. I would buy a Laney head or a Peavey 6505. However, I do like the chorus and phaser built in this amp. They are extremely good. I wish it had more punch and gain to it. I do not like using pedals because I hate setting them up, but the Laney sounds great to me.

It's built very well, it has not broken down. I would probably bring a backup amp head in case the tubes overheat or something like that.

This is a very versatile amp with many different stomp box effects in it for someone to find what sound they are looking for. There are 8 presets: clean, blues, class A, twang, crunch, high gain, metal, and insane. There is a looper are four channels to save your settings on. There is a lot of power in this amp (enough for a large gig) and it is a tube amp according to the website. To change from channel to channel, you must buy the separate channel switcher. You can adjust the chorus, delay, phaser, tremolo, harmonies, octaver, reverb, and 3-band EQ with this along with the Drive knob. There is also a presence knob which allows you to quickly change the EQ. There is also a built in noise-gate. Based on effects alone, this is very good.