Spider Valve MKII HD100 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider Valve MKII HD100

This tube amp was designed by Reinhold Bogner and is incredibly versatile. It can match almost any genre or style, but the HD100 is incredibly amazing for metal. It is insanely loud and has an amazing tone when setup properly. I have played through this amp using an '89 Stratocaster(S, S, S) & a J&D Flying V (H, H). I find that this amp suits my style perfectly, which is a mix of Metalcore and Alternative Metal. The distortion on the amp isn't incredibly amazing until you select the Amber version of the Insane amp model, it is at that point that the amp becomes a beast. I have played songs by Iron Maiden, Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, Pantera and Avenged Sevenfold through this amp and they sound quite amazing. The noise gate is a must if you intend to play metal as this amp will feedback and become incredibly noisy and unbearable (This is with high amounts of gain on the amber Insane setting).

I play a mix of Metalcore and Alternative metal inspired by bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium. I've only been playing for two years but I've been told by many music professors and teachers that I've got the skill of somebody who has been playing for 5+ years. I have about 7 guitars and 3 amps, with the HD100 being the best. The one thing I wished I asked is whether they had the FBV Shortboard to it, it wasn't easy finding one in stock. I love it's tone and the sound it produces but I hate having to carry it to gigs. I compare it to the Spider IV, the Marshall MG100FX and various Engl amps but the Line 6 came out on top. I do however wish it had a power rating dial like the Blackstar 1046l6 to control the power wattage.

I would definitely use this live without a backup, so far it has been incredibly reliable and I haven't had it break down on me. I do perform regular maintenance on it however to make sure its working at 100% but that's something that show be done with any amp.

The Spider Valve MKII HD100 head it is a 4 channel valve amp featuring 128 slots for various presets. It is a 100w Valve head equipped with 4 x 6L6 power tubes and 2 x 12AX7 Preamp tubes. It features a built in tuner which is incredibly useful and a looper which does it's job but it could be better. The amp allows you to use 3 smart effects at a time but sadly you cannot combine a chorus and a phaser (they are both on the second effects dial). The amp features your usual Bass, Middle and Treble controls and a channel volume which can be set individually for each channel. It also features a presence control which works incredibly well. The built in preset that the amp has are average to say the least, I wouldn't recommend using them in most situations. The amp can be wire in either mono or stereo, I however have it wired in mono into a Spider 412 300w Cab. This amp has enough power for what I require as I use it as both a practice amp and a live rig. One amazing feature of the HD100 is it's built in Noise Gate, you can set the noise gate to how you prefer (Thresh, Decay etc) and it works incredibly well. It also features an Emulated 3pin XLR Output with a cab emulator making it great for recording. If the Chorus wasn't on the same dial as the Phaser I would have rated it an 9.