Bulldog review by London City

London City: Bulldog

Price paid: € 475

Purchased from: Used

I play through it with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, with burstbucker pro pickups and it gives the tone you would expect from a Les Paul. Warm, but not muddy, and with loads of sustain. I also used it with a cheap beginners guitar that has single coils in it and it sounds decent, but I haven't played it with a decently made single coil guitar. It fits everything I need, it's versatile as hell. I use the cleans with some reverb, but I can kick in some smooth overdrive and have the tone I want (for Gary Moore type of stuff). If you push the gain all the way, you can get an early Metallica trash tone, like in Seek and Destroy. It's not noisy at all and I wouldn't even need a noise gate. The clean doesn't break up at moderate volumes.

I play a bit of everything and it does the trick, but it needs a boost for modern metal. I've been playing for about 4 years now, but I have played a lot of gear up to know, both midrange and high end gear. I would get the same if it was stolen, but finding it is a pain. I love how it sounds obviously, but the looks are cool as well. It looks like a recto, but it's older than a recto, so no, it's not a clone. I might want it to have more air vents, but I don't bother, it'll be fine, it's almost 30 years old and it still works. I played a Hughes And Kettner head (no model name, it's from the 90ies IIRC) and I would definitely choose the Bulldog over it.

It's built like a tank, it's solid and I would play it without a backup for sure. I'm careful with my gear anyway. Nothing has ever been wrong with it according to the guy I bought it from.

Well, it a London City Bulldog, fairly unknown, certainly outside the EU. It was made in Holland in the eighties I believe, but the company doesn't exist anymore. It has 2 channels, a clean channel and an overdrive channel, along with a Switch on both channels. The Switch on the clean channel features a boost and the Switch on the overdrive channel makes it possible to use another gain knob, so you can use 2 different settings of gain. It also has reverb and a master volume. I have a footswitch for it that allows me to change channel, kick in the second gain knob, use the boost on the clean channel and activate or de-activate reverb. It's without a doubt the most versatile tube amp I have played. It's got amazing cleans in my opinion and it can get early Metallica metal sounds as well. It also has an FX loop integrated at the back. It runs on 2 12AX7 tubes, 2 12AT7 tubes and 4 EL34 tubes. It's 100w, so there's plenty of power in it. The price is with a cabinet included.

rocknroll93
    looks sweet. sounds like with a les you could get great gary moore tones out of it.
    HazeSpace
    You can still buy it brand new. The company does still exist (they started again). And the amp is WAY more versatile then described. Also it sounds amazing for modern day metal with a boost pedal.. You really can get any type of sound out of it. And it really does sound nice. A really good bang for buck (about 760 euro new for just the head) if i remember well). I'm owning one for 1.5 year now. Not planning to sell it anywhere soon! Sounds much better with a good cabinet though.
    tomas.eien
    I bought my Bulldog head, with Urban Camo look, in Hamburg -07. I have tried to find SOMETHING about the company on-line, but cant find shit. If you have a link or an adress to this comp., I would really appreciate it : Best regards - Tomas, Oslo, Norway
    Plaeghdraeger
    I consider myself a lucky man as I found one, second hand, in VERY good condition for merely 200 €! Very happy with it too.