1960A review by Marshall

Marshall: 1960A

Purchased from: Ebay

I used mine with a Squier Telecaster with Seymour Duncan pickups. I played it through a JCM-2000 DSL-50 on classic crunch mode. I mostly played alternative and punk (RHCP, Muse, Rise Against, The Living End, The Distillers, ect... ). Overall it was a pretty quiet cab, any noise I experienced was a crappy input jack on the Squier. The thing that I absolutely loved about this cab was that it could handle just about any watts and volume that you threw at it. I could play at full tilt on 50 watts and it would still remain very clean and crisp. That being said, it's not a cab that you want to use for home use. It doesn't sound very good when playing at lower volumes. I had a pretty good sound out of my cab, but it lacked bass response and tone. In conclusion, just make sure your bass player has a loud amp.

This is a great cab for classic and hair rock. I've been playing for about 5 years now and so many people tell me that Marshall is the way to go for amps and cabs. I don't believe it anymore. Marshall carries a lot of history and a good word with their company, but I really don't like their products. If this cab was stolen I would not buy another, I would probably save up and buy a Mesa or an Orange. I loved the look of this cab, but I didn't love the sound. Almost every artist has a stack of Marshalls behind them, I think I would rather play with Mesa's.

The actual construction of this cab was top notch, as are most Marshall cabs. I had the back panel off a few times and found that it was held together with dovetail joint and glue (makes for a VERY strong build). The problem that I found however was not the construction, it was the quality of the material. The tolex on these cabs is absolute junk. I had to watch my cab on every gig to make sure that someone didn't bump into it because the tolex would rip all the time.

I guess the only way to describe this is... a cab is a cab. Mine was made in 1993 and is actually a JCM-900 960A. It can connect to either 4, 8, or 16 ohms. I can be switched to stereo, but only in 8ohms for each jack. Mine had Celestion GT-75's with it. I use mine for practice and also gigs. Overall, the features are pretty good, I just wish it had better casters.

TriviumFan717
    reggie119
    DIBGuitarist wrote: Will it be worth getting this cabinet for use with my Vintage Modern 2266C? The cab has a power rating of 300 Watts, and the VM combo only produces 50 Watts, would the combo be able to fill out the speakers? Cheers
    Get the 100 watt head instead, it has more balls to it!
    Gregm16
    Any opinions on running a Peavey JSX head through this cab? or should i go with a mesa cab, or the actual JSX cab?
    SeanX3187
    TriviumFan717 wrote: Would this cabinet be a good mix with a Mesa triple rectifier? From what I've hear, it seems like a good investment.
    It's an amazing mix. Mesa cabs usually have celestion speakers so it would sound virtually the same. Also, the 1960 is a hell of a lot cheaper than Mesa cabs. I think if you want the best tone, get the 1960AV/BV V30s are the way to go. But if you're interested in how the combo of Triple Rec and 1960, listen to Sing Sing Death House, an amazing album by The Distillers. Judging by your username, it's not your cup of tea, but you can appreciate the guitar in it. The song "Young Crazed Peeling" is available to listen to on YouTube because it has a music video in which you can clearly see the combo. Good Luck.