1960AV review by Marshall

Marshall: 1960AV

I use it with a Gibson SG Special and my backup which is a Squier Tele and it sounds great with humbuckers and single coil pickups. The V30s really make the sound amazing, with the sweet mids and overall great highs and lows. This cab can handle any kind of music played through it and sound great. I mean, Vintage 30s are guaranteed to sound great.

I play punk and ska, which call for great mids, a lot of cleans, and just as much, if not more crunchy distortion, and let me tell you, there is no better cab for that. I've been playing for a few years, and amp-wise, this cab and my JCM 900 4100 head are the only amps I have, so one simple half stack. I wish I asked about the handles, but that really has no effect on the sound, so I would have bought it anyway. If this were stolen, I'd be really bummed because it'd be a while before I could afford a new one, but I'd probably buy this same exact cab. I love just about everything about it. If the handles were metal, I'd love EVERYTHING, but oh well, that's a sacrifice I can live with. The stereo/mono Switch makes it a much easier cab to switch with various heads because not all heads are the same impedance as you all know. I compared it to the more expensive Marshall cabs, Mesa cabinets, Orange cabs, and Fender cabs. Vintage 30s are my favorite speakers, so it was a definite winner against the more expensive Marshalls and Fender cabs. And it sounded exactly the same as the Mesa and Orange cabs, and was much cheaper than Orange. It was between Mesa and Marshall, and they both had a V30 loaded cab for $950, but I found a friend who had the Marshall for sale for $400, so I naturally went with that, and Mesas always go for much more used. I just love this amp. Marshall needs a high five for this incredible cab.

This thing is built like a rock, so it's very dependable. It's my only cab, and I have no intentions of getting a new one because I know I won't need one. It'll last as long as I want it to. Any Marshall cabs (except for the MG Series) are great cabs, and will be around as long as you are.

The cab was made in 2001 in the U.K. I believe, and it's definitely versatile enough for what I play, which is punk and ska. It has a 4 ohm input and a 16 ohm input, and a switch to make both of them 8 ohm for stereo which is really nice to have. It's a cab, so it's not like it has a whole lot of features, and the stereo/mono Switch is the only nice one. It has plastic handles which get the job done, but have started to crack around the rivets, which also goes for the plastic corners. I use this amp everywhere: my bedroom to practice by myself, my buddy's house for band practice, and at local concert venues for my bands shows, and it's amazing. It's 280w driven by Celestion Vintage 30 Speakers so it can handle my JCM 900 4100 head very nicely. And yes, they ARE V30's. Marshall puts their stickers on the back and rate them at 10w higher because they believe they can handle that much wattage. And that is what Dr. Decibel of Celestion Speakers tells all the naive disbelievers every time they ask.

PRS_man
    SeanX3187
    PRS_man wrote: i dont see y everyone picks on my MG series amp. there nothing wrong with them. there different for sure but that dosnt meen they suck
    people don't "pick on" the MG series because they're different. if we say something about them, it's because we've played one and aren't impressed. the cabs are made of mediocre wood, and shabby speakers. and the heads (or electronics portion of combo) don't put out satisfying tones. marshall solid state isn't good at all, not just the mg series. the AVT and valvestate I + II amps weren't great either. they sounded a bit better with a preamp tube to get a better tube sound, it just didn't have enough of them or any power amp tubes so it was kind of pointless. i just don't consider the MG series to be a quality amp. i think if the price was dropped to maybe $300-$400 for the half stack, it'd be okay, but you're paying a lot of money for something that won't sound as good as cheaper amps.
    SeanX3187
    my cousin had the MG15CD, and i played the MG100DFX for several hours at Guitar Center when i considered buying it... i know that wasn't directed towards me, but i'm thinking that JoePerry4Life will agree with me when i say that they may sound different tonally, but neither sounds "better" than the other. they both sound way too digital which would be cool for techno maybe, but not for what most Marshall fans are looking for.
    suhraddict
    You got a great deal. The cab's hardly worth the $950 Marshall asks (I'd pay $600 at most), but it is a really good cab. I have an Avatar 4x12 with V30s that cost $600 brand new -- and sounds even better than the Marshall (the Avatar was a replacement for my 1960AV which was sold for $750).
    SeanX3187
    yeah, avatar makes some great cabs. i'm not the biggest fan of the wood though. i had a 2x12 from there with greenbacks and it sounded mediocre at best. it's all about preference i suppose. and yeah, $400 for this cab is almost a steal.
    KidsHussla
    SeanX3187
    my cousin has one too, and i like that it has effects, i'm just not overly impressed by the distortion. and it is pretty cheap, but you can get similar quality amps for less. not hatin' on you, i just don't really like that amp. i pretty much only like orange + crate's solid state amps.
    JoePerry4life
    KidsHussla wrote: i have a Mg100HDFX and its a great stack for that price... so not all MG's are bad ;D
    SeanX3187
    JoePerry4life wrote: No its not. It a terrible overpriced giant practice amp. Your MG is the same as every small one, your is just bigger. There are much much better amps you can buy for the price of an mg half stack.
    SOADriff
    They aren't different, they just put out a horrible, digital tone that you will be sick of in a few months. Guitar salesmen sell them to unsuspecting kiddies or first time amp buyers because they know they can sell them for more than they are worth. Thus probably why you think its good?
    dropC
    I have got an MG15CD, and a MG100DFX, and they are not similar, (okay, in styling, yes, but same tone? no.) have you ever played on these amps, or did you just watch youtube videos?
    loop-de-luke
    Roopelatvalafan wrote: Marshalls MG series reminds me of a high school band playing metallica with 3 guitarist playing telecasters though a boss metal zone straight into the PA or something.. Just can't sound good =P
    +1 !!! I know exactly what you're talkin about! Hahah My school had an MG and EVERYONE always went for it... kids just like it because of the curvy badge. That's the selling point. If it didn't have the signature Marshall badge, it'd halve in price. I used to use a Fender FM212r, which did ok for a bit, but only cost me $500 AUD... that since deteriorated and I upgraded substantially to a Marshall 1959SLP 100watt plexi... best thing I ever did. Ever. Only because I could afford it and it was a ridiculous bargain (second hand off good old eBay ). Can't go past tube amps
    SeanX3187
    Yes it sure was! The previous owner was saving up for an Orange cabinet and was $400 short so he just wanted enough to get the new one, which worked out great for me haha
    Roopelatvalafan