1987X review by Marshall

Marshall: 1987X

Purchased from: Craigs List

I play two guitars out of this amp. My Gibson Les Paul Classic and my Fender American Stratocaster. As I write this I have dialed in the exact tone I want with the strat but I am still working on nailing the les paul tone. As I play primarily classic rock/blues this amp and guitar set up perfectly matches my style. Through the strat I am not a fan of the high treble channel thus I usually play on the low sensitivity input on the 'normal' channel. This is where I get the definition of 'tone.' Nothing I have ever played has come close to this. The closest I have come is playing through my friends Twin with a TS9 and TS808 on. Luckily, the mighty Marshall can get that tone without the use of any pedals.

As previously stated, this amp is a monster and absolutely tone provider. I could not wish for anything better. I am playing out of the Marshall 1960AX 100watt cab. This cab is loaded with 4 25watt Greenback speakers. I wanted this cab as I love greenbacks as that is the same type of speaker in my Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb (reissue). Overall find yourself a Vintage reissue Marshall amp and hear for yourself what I go to bed dreaming about playing the very next day.

As I bought this used I was unsure of the tube life and what do you know on the first day I blow an output tube when switching to standby. Grrrr. None the less I took in to my amp guy Who put in some 'Winged C' aka Svetlana's and this amp is now in 100% working order. I have the transferable warranty that Marshall offers but they only cover tubes for 90 days sadly. Overall I would be comfortable playing this everyday in a band. With regular and normal maintenence this amp will last my a long long time.

This is a 2007 with the effects loop sporting the true bypass option. This amp has all the features you want for this style of music. Simply put, presence, bass, middle, treble, high treble loudness, normal loudness. Essentially this has two channels but the ability to blend and mix channels you can achieve a lot of different sounds. Fifty watts of tube power is more than plenty for me, you better be playing stadiums in order to justify the 100w version of the Marshall re-issue heads. The reason I went with this amp is because of the tone and the simplicity. I had owned a JCM 2000 DSL combo but there were "too many buttons & knobs." I like the idea of plugging in and playing and just turn one nob.

charles_ebarb
    I have this amp and it just totally crushes with it's amazing tone! But mine DOES NOT have an effects loop. I noticed that the newer models do, but mine being made in 2000 doesn't. I contacted Marshall about this, but no word yet on that. Anyways, I would sewriously recommend this amp to anyone who wants excellent tone!
    charles_ebarb
    sorry to double-post. I notice people are wondering if the re-issue is just as good/better than the original. Well, I put my amp up against an original, covered them both up, then brought in a few "Marshall Guru's" to see if they could tell them apart. they picked my re-issue as pure vintage tone where they assumed the actual ORIGINAL was the re-issue!