2266 Vintage Modern review by Marshall

Marshall: 2266 Vintage Modern

As I mentioned, this amp is a one channel with two different "voices" of overdriven channels. The "High" option will naturally always be distorted at any volume level. The "Low" dynamic range, at lower volumes, sounds a bit like a dirty Fender amp and as it gets higher, it begins to sound more and more like the classic Marshall Plexi. So I can "clean up" my amp a bit better, I use a Boss Compression/Sustainer to take off a bit of volume and make the gain a bit more even. It allows the amp to clean up a little bit better as I get louder with it. For guitars, I use a 2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard with a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz pickup combination and a 1984 Kramer Focus 3000 with it's stock pickups (Schaller, I believe). Both guitars allow me to get great versatility in my sounds with this amp. The only think is the Kramer's pickups aren't as "hot" as my Les Paul's. This amp, overall, is pretty quite. The only time it really makes any noise is the "High" dynamic setting and when I'm using the the neck or middle single coil on my Kramer. I also run a Boss Noise Suppressor just to get rid of that little noise that the amp has and to prevent any excess noise from developing when I play it louder. This amp also works great with pedals. I run a Boss CS-3, Way Huge Green Rhino OD, Boss CH-1, Boss BF-3, and Boss NS-2 into the front of the amp. It takes pedals surprisingly well and I have a pretty good pallet to add to and make my own. Even without the pedals, it's great. It shines even better when I add my own personal tastes to it, which I think is quite amazing. This amp can get anywhere from a clean, chill tone of blues and funk, to more of a "Led Zep" overdrive, to a rocking 80s tone, to a heavy modern rock/metal tones. I believe this one of Marshalls', most versatile amplifiers. I'll have to rate the sound of this amp at a "10". The more I play this amp, the more I fall in love with it's tone. Even after 6 months of owning it, I'm not sick of it's tone and I'm still finding new sounds out of it.

I have been playing guitar for almost 5 years now and let me tell you, this amp is "my" amp. When I first started playing, I've dreamt of a particular guitar, and when I first heard about his amp (in a Paul Gilbert video), I realized that this is my dream amp. This is the amp that I'll see myself using in 15-20 years from now. If someone stole this or it somehow got lost, I would be distraught that it was gone. I would buy another one as soon as possible to replace it. The only time I'll buy another amp is for different tones on recordings (like if I wanted a particular track to be played on a Vox AC30). Other than that, I wouldn't need another amp. I couldn't really tell you a favorite feature, but I really love the versatility and range of styles that this amp can get. It is great for the guitarist that wants to experiment with different sounds, textures, and sonic ideas. The only think that really irks me about this amp is the noticeable volume boost between the 2 dynamic ranges. The "High" range is just a bit louder than the "Low", so it takes a bit of extra time to adjust the volume (on the guitar) in between songs. Overall, I am in love with this amp and in the 6 months that I've owned it, I love it more and more. I really like everything on it and my Impression on it is a 10.

YouTube preview picture

The reliability and durability on this amp is amazing. The previous owner only played it for 2 or 3 hours tops and took great care of it. In the 6 months of me owning it, I have at least 200 hours put into these tubes. It has never broken down on me and it still runs in excellent condition. The tubes on it are still in great condition and I think they'll last me awhile before I have to change them. Gigging wise? I believe that this will be the only amp that I'll be bringing to a Jam session or a gig. I can feel confident in going to a gig without a backup and this amp won't let me down. If I ever buy another amp (Marshall or elsewhere), I would still only use this amp for a gig.

After 4.5 years of playing guitar, I finally bought a tube amp and a great one at that. I've been thinking and researching about this amp months before I bought it. I purchased my Vintage Modern 2266 in September 2012 off of eBay. The guy I purchased it from only put 2 hours tops into it, took great care of it, and it still had the the "Initial set-up" sticker on the face (still does now). The unique thing about the newer Vintage Moderns (like mine) is that they also come in a black option as opposed to only being in purple when they first came out. It didn't come with a cabinet, so I purchased a Marshall 1960A cab separately. This is a 50-watt tube head with 4 12ax7 preamp tubes and 2 KT66 power tubes. It also includes an effects loop, and one channel with two Dynamic ranges (Low and High). There is also the standard 3-band EQ, Presence control, Master Volume, Digital Reverb, and two pre-amp vloumes: Detail (Highs and Upper Mids) and Body (Bass and Lower Mids). The Dynamic ranges allow you to select two different "voices" of Marshall amps. The "Low" setting allows you to get a crunchy, Plexi sound out of it that can really get a nice crunch to it and cleans up very well. This setting allows you to get more of a tonal range of a mellow clean to a pretty moderate overdriven rhythm tone. The "High" setting is based more off of a JCM800 with even more balls. IT gives off a really heavy, ballsy rhythm tone that can be used to suit guys that play a lot of heavier rock and even some metal subgenres. It also really nails those "80s Glam Band" tones like Poison and Guns N Roses. I mainly play it in my house. When I'm playing, I usually have the volume set at the "10 o'clock" setting (the highest) into a 15" speaker cabinet. When it's warmer outside, I play it in my garage going into my 1960A cab with the volume on 2 or 3 o'clock. This amp definitely has enough power for me to play at a decent "House" volume as well as enough power for me to have a great gigging amp.

MaggaraMarine
    Lol, sorry about my rant. Yeah, I played through this amp when we tried some Strats with my friend. It sounded really fizzy at low volume and I needed to turn it up a bit (so that it would be a bit too loud for bedroom) to get rid of the fizz. Though then it sounded pretty awesome. Really ballsy and harsh in a good way. The pre amp settings were a bit hard to tweak. It got easily too fuzzy (too much "body") or lacked the low end (too little "body"). The "dynamic range" is pretty much clean - distortion switch. I hated the reverb. The sound wasn't bad but it was pretty weak, even if the reverb knob was cranked. You couldn't get that kind of huge reverb sound that I'm used to when you crank the reverb knob. And usually you don't even need to crank the knob to get that sound. My Laney VC30 reverb at 3 sounds bigger than the reverb at full on this amp. I don't really need a huge reverb though but it would be a cool feature. Not a good amp for surf or bedroom use. But yeah, the distortion sounds were great and cleans were decent. Of course not anything like Fender but still useable. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the amp.